Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUde
immaculate
Loc: MT
Blueing Gymnopilus pics
    #2053343 - 10/29/03 12:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I found the same speces as these mushrooms, a few weeks ago, at a different location. At that same location I also found a tiny species of psilocybe (i'm pretty damn sure). that could be found growing out of elk dung only, and only elk dung that was under certain leaves, and had a certain kind of moss starting to grow on it. They gat to be about 3 inches tall at max, and had a thin long stem when aged. Younger ones were still tiny, but had thicker stems. The cap was a darkish brown, and had a whitish zone around the margin. Looked somewhat like a miniature version of panaeolus fimicola, which I sometimes find growing from horsedung. However, in age this species looked somewhat similar to a miniature liberty cap.. Now I know for an absolute fact, these are not p semilanceata. They do show some blueing,, and older caps had a nipple. I could not get a sporepring, as the caps were much too tiny, about a third of an inch at max. It would be rediculous to try and consume this species unless you had hundreds of speciments. and they seem to be pretty rare, although they wre on a good percentage of eli tird pales in the are I was gym hunting. If anyone knows anything about this psilocybe, ore one similar, that I am discussing, please let me know.

Now, on to the gyms. Yesterday I decided to go spectabilis hunting in a different spot , then the one mentioned before. It is nearby, but in a different creek valley. This one is slightly different, as there are no ferns here, as there are in the smaller area I discussed earlier. It has been raining, but nowt much, so I didn't expedt to find much. I smoked a bowl and headed out on the short hike to get me to the area I frequent. It was much wetter out than I thought, and I saw many mycena on my walk through the forested hills. I finally reached my destination, and was stoked on what I might find. The areas in which I look for spectabilis are boggy mossy, areas, with spruces, mixed with alders, and niine-bark mapes. Places that are slightly open, yet still encolsed.. I was walking through my usual rout, when right before the good zone, I spotted, a huge fresh spectabilis, with a couple rediculously old ones nearby. I cut it away from the mossy log, and put it in my basket. I sat down on a log to smoke a ciggarette., and I looked down and to my right, and sawthe blue gym. MI about shit my pants. It was a pretty old one, but I was still excited. I'd only seen this species of mushroom one before, a couple weeks ago at the other spot. I started to see more of them, most of them too old to coolect. However I did find some fresh ones, and being the person I am, I took them home and ate them. I collected some semi old ones oto, and might make tea. I don't know, because I hardly got any trip from the really big fresh one I ate last night. Probably wasn't enough, but I guess I'm just happy I'm still fine, and know I'm not allergic to these mushes or something. Please, andy one with gym experience tell me about it. I still really am not sure if this is aeruginosas, because I just see it as looking quite different. Anyway, here are some pics of some semi -old bugified newaerugs. ThOne thing that is amzing about this species, is the absolutesly amazing blueing. In almost every specimine, there is beautiful psilo blue shinging through. That is why I think they are probably moderately active.

Here is a reconstruction of a fresh cap that I cut up last night for tea today. sorry

I'll be going back up there in a few days with a camera, so you can expect some habitat shots.

Ude

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebcustom
three short ofone-hundred

Loc: Grrreat Pac NW
Re: Blueing Gymnopilus pics [Re: Ude]
    #2053457 - 10/29/03 01:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Nice post.  You have to eat a LOT of spectabilus in order to 'trip'..  How do these taste? and i'm glad your not allergic :wink:.

--------------------
Don't you look at me in that tone of voice!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Blueing Gymnopilus pics [Re: Ude]
    #2053746 - 10/29/03 03:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Those look more like Guymnopilus liquiritiae (Peck) SInger than they do Gymnopilus spectabilis.

Mj

Here I corrcted some of the color in photoshop but personally I would no t pick and eat shroms that are beginning to rot.

Besides, the Gyms taste so bitter. I once tasted some with Gary Lincoff and Steven Pollock who were intoxicated on some collected in Central Park New York, however their's were spectabilis picked in the dark with a flashlight at 2 am in the morning.

have a shroomy day,
mj

and

OfflineUde
immaculate
Loc: MT
Re: Blueing Gymnopilus pics [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2056778 - 10/30/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Mj, I know they are not gymnopilus spectabilis. I usually pick spectabilis from the same area I found these, however, this is the first time I have found these. I originally thought maybe they were gymnopilus aeruginosus. I have never heard of anyone finding these in Montana, which is where I live. Also, they are quite different then pictures of aeruginosus I've seen. One cap was so unpturned, that the margin on one side was actually touching the upturned margin on the other side, making an almost opposite closed cap. Gymnopilus liquiritie, I have never seen an image of. Mj, or anyone else, if you have an image of liquiritie, I would greatly love to see it. The odd thing about these mushrooms, is I've never heard of anyone else picking these guys in my area. Maybe an unidentified species? They are also found way back in the boggy forest, away from man, as opposed to psilocybes, which have concentrated almost all of their populations in areas influenced by man. As far as I know, there are not any active psilocybes in Montana (I've heard of reports of pelliculosa, but I can't prove it). But there are spectabilis, and these blue gyms. I also find subbs in the spring. I really would like to see some liquiritie pics, and aeruginosas pics. And I'd like to hear from people who have experience with gymnopilus.

Peace,
Ude

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification