Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs * 1
    #2006750 - 10/13/03 09:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs

Research on twins finds link between early use, later abuse

A study on twins found those who had smoked early in life were between two and five times more likely than their non-smoking siblings to abuse harder drugs later.

Jan. 21 ? Teen-agers who smoked marijuana before turning 17 were more likely to use and abuse harder drugs and alcohol as young adults, a study of Australian twins released Tuesday said.

THE ?GATEWAY? hypothesis ? where the use of ?soft? drugs can lead to a desire for ?hard? drugs offering a more intense high ? appeared to be born out in the study of 311 sets of fraternal and identical twins. Each set of twins in the study included one who had begun smoking marijuana before age 17 while the other had not.

The study found those who had smoked early in life were between two and five times more likely than their nonsmoking siblings to abuse alcohol or harder drugs such as cocaine and heroin when they reached their 20s or 30s.

Among the early marijuana users, 48 percent reported using cocaine and other stimulants as adults, 35 percent tried hallucinogens, and 14 percent used heroin and other opiates. Forty-six percent said they later abused or became dependent on marijuana, and 43 percent became alcohol dependent.

Among smokers before age 17, 48 percent abused or became dependent on an illicit drug, while 33 percent of the early nonsmokers became abusers later on in life.

NOT A FIRM PREDICTOR
But early marijuana use by no means guaranteed abuse of other drugs later on, said the authors of the study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

?I think one important thing to say to the parents of a 16-year-old using marijuana is that the majority of kids who use cannabis do not go on to experience problems with drugs or alcohol, but it?s important that we, as parents and as a society, recognize that there is an increased risk,? said Andrew Heath, a professor of psychiatry and director of the Missouri Alcoholism Research Center at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri, who led the study.

?There is a fairly long history of research showing that early cannabis use is associated with increased risks for later use of so-called ?hard drugs,? but that research is based on the fact that most heroin and cocaine users report first having used cannabis,? said study author Michael Lynskey of the Queensland Institute of Medical Research in Brisbane, Australia, a visiting psychiatry professor at Washington University.

?I think it often is implicitly assumed that the association between cannabis and other drugs is somehow pharmacological, that using cannabis changes your brain or makes you crave other drugs,? Lynskey said. ?But there are a number of other potential mechanisms, including access to drugs, willingness to break the law and likelihood of engaging in risk-taking behaviors.?

In an accompanying editorial, Denise Kandel of Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, said the study?s findings suggested anti-marijuana smoking programs targeting youth can avert later abuse of harder drugs.

?For youths who have already used marijuana, the issue is: can and should intervention programs be developed to target this group at very high risk for progressing to other substances? It appears so,? she wrote.

I think this study is skewed and the results were as they were mostly because the other twin/sibling had a genuine interest in the erug culture...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: TinMan] * 1
    #2008013 - 10/14/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm... what is wrong with the following:

BIG BOLD CAPTION: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs

Little itty bitty print at end of story: early marijuana use by no means guaranteed abuse of other drugs later on, said the authors of the study

wtf!?!

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: Seuss] * 1
    #2008896 - 10/14/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It just proves that people who did harder drugs, used lighter ones first. Logical thinking man.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: HarveyWalbanger] * 1
    #2009070 - 10/14/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

This just in: People who like some drugs may like other drugs too.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: Seuss] * 1
    #2010196 - 10/14/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hmmm... what is wrong with the following:

BIG BOLD CAPTION: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs

Little itty bitty print at end of story: early marijuana use by no means guaranteed abuse of other drugs later on, said the authors of the study

wtf!?!

Quote:

This just in: People who like some drugs may like other drugs too.

:lol:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#2012848 - 10/15/03 09:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Who would do Heroin before giving pot a chance. The same logic could be used with alcohol.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #2020116 - 10/18/03 07:24 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

STUDY: BIRTH LEADS TO CERTAIN DEATH

A recent study has linked birth with certain death.
studies conducted over 40 years have shown that 99 out of 100 people DIE sometime after being born.
scientists are espically worried because there is no real pattern to the deaths. After birth has taken place deaths have occured in as little as 2 min. Sometimes the deaths take as long as 80 years.
"this is a nationwide problem" states Dr. Dick Hurtz "at this time being born is the MOST DANGEROUS thing you could possible do"
Dr. Hurtz urges people to stop being born
"your life may depend on it"

OXYGEN! the new gateway drug???
a study on highschool dropouts has shown that 100% of drug users tried oxygen before moving on to "harder" drugs like cocaine and heroin.
"um, yea i breath air" states billy, a 24 year old crack addict. "i would die without it"
studies suggest that oxygen, although harmless, leads to a life long addiction.
recent reports have also linked oxygen use with rape, murder, child molestation, facism, terrorism, and apathy.

[hyp]

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: hyper_dermic] * 1
    #2020648 - 10/18/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

honestly, I have always believed that alchohol was the gateway drug.

Ask any cokehead when the first time they used coke was, and I garauntee 90% of them will tell you it was at a bar or party when they were drunk. 

Pot, coke, heroin, pills...  all of these drugs have a prescence in the bar scene, at least where I'm from. 

Not only that, but alchohol makes you want to consume more of everything.  Ever noticed how fast your ciggarette pack disappears when you're drinking?  Alchohol is a consumerist society's best friend. 

Pot doesn't make me want to do anything other than sit there.  It doesnt make me want other drugs.  (unless you count junk food as a drug) :smile:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2022597 - 10/19/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I think money is the most dangerous drug on earth :wink: ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
    #2022685 - 10/19/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hyper_dermic said:
STUDY: BIRTH LEADS TO CERTAIN DEATH

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think when people find out that the government has lied to them about the dangers of cannabis they will say fuck the government, lets do harddrugs too. And there's nothing bad with that, as long as they are used in moderation.
All drugs should be legal..

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: cybrbeast] * 1
    #2063203 - 11/01/03 04:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ok maybe marijuana can lead to different drugs because it IS illegal. I kow I wouldn't even know where to begin to find coke or acid if my drug dealer didn't sell them as well. since it is illegal, and since drug dealers are about their loot, then most of the time the dude with pot is also going to be the dude that has X, or any other "harder drug" if it got legalized on the other hand, then the ability of just knowing where to get the stuff can be limited. the only other harder drugs I've done though is acid and shrooms. so yeah I guess it depends on the person. heh

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

Loc: South Flordia
Re: Study: Marijuana leads to hard drugs [Re: kaiowas] * 1
    #2067544 - 11/03/03 08:52 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

is it just me or does anyone else notice that those finding - percentage wise are actually rather low. not more than 50 percent in any instance.

My studies have led me to believe that those findings are not very conclusive. If you want to convince some body that the above is true something above 48% would really help. To me that says less than half.

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom