Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Possible Lactuca, help ID?
    #19808418 -


Hey guys! New poster here, did a lot of research on Lactuca last night, and recognized some from around where I live, and I need some help identifying it because I'm no botanist. I'm pretty sure it's not just dandelion because it has more than one flower. It produces the white sap when you cut it. Any help?



EDIT: Fixed the huge ass pictures, sorry guys.

Edited by SoItGoes (04/07/14 03:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: SoItGoes]
    #19808870 -

Hmm.. The flower pods look a bit big for Lactuca serriola

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: Epistrophy]
    #19808888 -

Thanks for the reply man! I'm not sure if it's serriola or virosa or what. Well I'm pretty sure it's not virosa because the stems don't have spines or hairs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: SoItGoes]
    #19808910 -

Hmm.. Judging by the photos some of the leaves look wide enough to be virosa..

You'd need a second opinion though because I'm not sure

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: Epistrophy]
    #19808954 -

Are any of these species toxic? Is it safe to extract?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: SoItGoes]
    #19809697 -

Here is another picture for identification. I didn't see the hairs before now, but they're there, only on the flower stems, I didn't see any hairs on the leaves at all.


EDIT:
I've procured a small ball of lactucarium, not sure if it's enough for anything (I'm pretty sure it's a small amount)


I might try smoking this little ball later after it dries more, but I'd like having a solid ID on it.

Here's what I could get of the taproot because I know that helps with identification.

Edited by SoItGoes (04/07/14 08:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: SoItGoes]
    #19813213 -

Hate to break it to ya, but you got yourself a dandelion there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: kykeion]
    #19816040 -

kykeion said:
Hate to break it to ya, but you got yourself a dandelion there.



Exactly this. :yesnod:

It's Taraxium officinale.

It contains no goods for altered states but the leaves go well in salads and stews when the plant is young. In New Zealand the Maori call this Puha.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Lactuca, help ID? [Re: karode13]
    #19816078 -

Lactuca serriola will have leaves that almost always tilt up and down during the day. And the underside has hairs, stiff hairs running down the central vein. In my experience they like roadsides and other areas with a lot of drainage.The edge of parking lots is usually a good place to look. But yeah what you got there is definitely a dandelion.


--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Lactuca spp. Poison Drink 2,257 15 07/04/12 06:27 PM
by Poison Drink
* Lactuca Serriola? Acaterpillar 2,798 15 05/10/10 05:14 PM
by ThirdEye4103
* Lactuca Virosa Project ThorAxe1 3,896 10 03/03/09 04:44 PM
by Shad0w
* Who loves Lactuca? Teotzlcoatl 2,189 18 07/28/07 06:18 AM
by durban_poison
* Is this Lactuca Virosa? ninja cat 09 5,106 12 04/09/10 12:27 AM
by iFennario
* some Lactuca virosa breeteerarytruth 926 1 07/01/06 03:42 AM
by durban_poison
* Possible Lactuca? JrayJ 1,417 12 03/01/12 08:11 PM
by JrayJ
* Lettuce ID - Lactuca virosa? yob 1,418 7 07/23/11 09:07 PM
by ferrel_human

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
2,433 topic views. 0 members, 23 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.