Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: NIN [Re: CannabiForMen]
    #19485386 -

I don't know, man. I really like 'copy of a'. I certainly don't hate the album. Why do you despise it?


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Edited by robbyberto (01/28/14 10:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: robbyberto]
    #19485432 -

Honestly I think it's at least partly due to the fact it seemed NIN was never going to make another album. When it came out I immediately listened to it in full as soon as I heard about it. I don't think the music was all that bad, but I definitely think the lyrical content is lacking in comparison to his other works. It's also not really back and forth in dynamics like most NIN shit. Ex. March of the Pigs, fast and angry, then quiet and hauntingly beautiful. I think I love the old too much to open up for the new. At least currently


--------------------
"The rain let up and the sun came out as we were getting dry
Almost let a pickup truck nearly pass us by
So we jumped right in and the driver grinned as he dropped us up the road
And we looked at the swim and we jumped right in not to mention fishing poles
Ohhh the water...
Oh ohh the water...
Oh the water...
I dont care if it rains all day."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #19485443 -

That being said....

@OP:


The Downward Spiral is probably my favorite. That album is a display of creative genius still unrivaled, IMO. Though it is one of his darker works.

Broken is also pretty epic. In some ways it's as dark as, if not darker than TDS. More of a  aggressive scary kind of dark, compared to TDS' more brooding tone. Broken is probably also the heaviest NIN album.

Pretty Hate Machine is great, but it is far more synth-pop than nearly anything else by NIN.

The Fragile is a fan favorite. By my estimation, I'd say that a good 80%+ NIN fans either consider TDS or The Fragile as the best NIN album. This album has a lot of the epic darkness of TDS, but he experiments a lot with new sounds.


Fast forwarding to the last release, Hesitation Marks is pretty amazing. This is the first release since The Fragile that actually blew my mind. You can definitely hear some echoes of TDS and Fragile in this album, but it's often heavily modulated with the more synth-pop / electro / dance sensibilities that he returned to for With Teeth And Year Zero. He really does cover a lot of moods and soudscapes with this album. Perhaps his most diverse, and almost definitely his most "positive" record. Some fans really seemed to dislike the super-upbeat track "Everything" but I thought it was fucking brilliant.


With Teeth. Some really decent tracks on this one, though not my favorite. On this album you can hear a return to a more synth-pop edge. It's almost like he tried to reconcile the sound of TDS or The Fragile with Pretty Hate Machine.

Year Zero was decent. Concept album. And I thought the concept was very cool, and the marketing was brilliant. But in some ways I liked the remix album, Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, even more.


The Slip... my least favorite album. This was a "freebie." A thank you to the fans for their continued support. My least favorite NIN album by at least 1,000,000 miles. The gesture was nice. And to be fair, IDK if I ever gave it a great chance. But after a couple listens, absolutely none of it had "grabbed" me, the way NIN music tends to do.


Then there are about a billion singles, remix CDs, and rarities. Some of which are well worth checking out. "Further Down The Spiral" is a great remix album. There is actually both a US and UK version with different tracks. The "fixed" EP (remix companion to the Broken EP) is pretty good. Closer to God singles were okay. Sin Single is fantastic.


"And All That Could Have Been" / "Still" is very worth checking  out. Some awesome live / live studio versions of some songs ("The Becoming" and "Something I Can Never Have" versions are epic) as well as some new material worth checking out.



NIN also released a compilation of videos called "Closure" which contains all their vids up to a certain point, as well as the uncensored "Cloer" video.... I can't recall if the entire "Broken" movie is on that one or not.

The "Broken" movie is really dark, and twisted, and may give you nightmares if you're not into horror and/or snuff. You've been warned.




Anyway, that's my brief guide to NIN releases. Enjoy your explorations....


--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #19485467 -

CidneyIndole said:
cacharstar said:
I do like his music tho...


I guess I should explain.  I have met him.  There was this kid in my town that use to claim to know him. I was not listening until one day there was a limo outside his house. Perplexed we stopped to check it out. And who steps out yep you guessed it.  He has scars all over his arms from mutilation, burns etc. Nice guy tho other then the liking 14 year old boys. Really soft spoken and shy. I was 17 at the time so this was wayyy back in 1997.....





Dude, you're SO full of shit it's not even funny.


Sure, absolute height-of-his-fame 1997 Trent Reznor arrived in a small town in a fucking limousine to screw a 14 year old boy.


Sounds completely legit.


Why wouldn't he just let them backstage to his concerts, where he would have had full access to countless young fanboys, and better yet wouldn't have to pull up in front of their parents' house in a fucking limousine? i don't need to prove anything to you. Believe it or not.  I knew what i know...


That doesn't even almost make sense.



CidneyIndole said:
cacharstar said:
I do like his music tho...


I guess I should explain.  I have met him.  There was this kid in my town that use to claim to know him. I was not listening until one day there was a limo outside his house. Perplexed we stopped to check it out. And who steps out yep you guessed it.  He has scars all over his arms from mutilation, burns etc. Nice guy tho other then the liking 14 year old boys. Really soft spoken and shy. I was 17 at the time so this was wayyy back in 1997.....





Dude, you're SO full of shit it's not even funny.


Sure, absolute height-of-his-fame 1997 Trent Reznor arrived in a small town in a fucking limousine to screw a 14 year old boy.


Sounds completely legit.


Why wouldn't he just let them backstage to his concerts, where he would have had full access to countless young fanboys, and better yet wouldn't have to pull up in front of their parents' house in a fucking limousine?


That doesn't even almost make sense.


i know what i saw.  Take it or leave it.


--------------------
:irishtoast:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #19485468 -

CidneyIndole said:
Pretty Hate Machine is great, but it is far more synth-pop than nearly anything else by NIN.




It serves as a logical transition in his musical career.



--------------------
:philkensebben: There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: mytehdogizflying]
    #19485487 -

I've got every halo on CD somewhere around here, even the super rare ones.
The fragile is the last great nin album imo. The fragile and everything before it is epic. My favorites in order would be downward spiral, pretty hate machine, broken, fragile.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: robbyberto]
    #19485489 -

robbyberto said:
I don't know, man. I really like copy of a copy. I certainly don't hate the album. Why do you despise it?





That album is fucking amazing. I can kind of see how someone who liked NIN for their heavier, darker stuff might not like it quite as much.

"Everything" is almost like a Cure song through an NIN lens. (Not sure why the main guitar riff in that song screams "The Cure" but it did the first time I heard it, and I haven't been able to shake it. But I'm a huge fan of The Cure as well, so I guess I would like that.)


"Satellite" is basically an Electro Dance track NIN style. Very pop-sounding (though with a dark edge.) But IMHO he pulls it off. I'm sure not everyone would agree.


"While I'm Still Here" is kind of musically experimental, but also very deeply emotional. This is the first NIN song since "Hurt" that brought me to tears.



"Came Back Haunted" and "Copy of A" are almost archetypal NIN tracks. Trent rocking out with full angst. I also think, along with the previously mentioned "Satellite" and "All Time Low" these songs show some of his best production work.


"All Time Low" is also a stellar fucking song. Weirdly dark and upbeat at the same time. I want to hear that one tripping.



I like the fact that this album retained a lot of the elements I've always loved about NIN, yet at the same time was a little experimental and exploratory, and the fact that it is possibly one of his most upbeat and positive albums. A fact I'm sure (sadly) will turn off some fans. I do like Trent for his angsty despair. Hell, that was one of the things that drew me to him in the first place, as a kid. I related. But the older I've gotten, the less I've listened to NIN, because I've come to feel that having darkness blasting at you 24/7 does not always promote healthy psycho-emotional states. There is something to be said for the cathartic effect of dark angry music. But after a certain point, it just becomes wallowing. I LIKE seeing that Trent Reznor has grown as a person, and maybe... just maybe... is starting to out-run some of those demons.


If others can't appreciate that, I feel kind of bad for them.


--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: mytehdogizflying]
    #19485491 -

:rofl:

Wtf did I just watch, he looks really out of place on the keys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #19485510 -

You definitely get where I'm at. I think it's great to see Trent conquering his demons. I just really am in the phase where the dark heavy shit is my first love when it comes to NIN. Though I will admit some of the quieter songs like Right Where It Belongs. A Warm Place Holds a special place in my heart cause of a salvia trip I once experienced. Maybe as I grow older ill appreciate the album more when I'm not as angry a person. Gotta say thanks as well, I may have to listen to the whole album again this evening as you raised some interesting points I hadn't considered. Either way I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing the album, TDS will just always be my favorite.


--------------------
"The rain let up and the sun came out as we were getting dry
Almost let a pickup truck nearly pass us by
So we jumped right in and the driver grinned as he dropped us up the road
And we looked at the swim and we jumped right in not to mention fishing poles
Ohhh the water...
Oh ohh the water...
Oh the water...
I dont care if it rains all day."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: mytehdogizflying]
    #19485528 -

cacharstar said:
i know what i saw.  Take it or leave it.





Mistaken, confused, hallucinating, or lying, are really the only options I see here. I find it highly implausible for the reasons already stated (and more).





mytehdogizflying said:
CidneyIndole said:
Pretty Hate Machine is great, but it is far more synth-pop than nearly anything else by NIN.




It serves as a logical transition in his musical career.








That album was way ahead of its time, IMO. And yes, I'm well aware of Trent's early career. :lol:


He was actually in a few crappy pop bands before NIN.  There is also an early demo of Pretty Hate Machine floating around out there. Interesting, to hear how the songs evolved.


The only thing almost as amusing as pop-star Trent Reznor, is a pre-Tool Maynard James Keenan.







The outfit gets me, every time.


--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: NIN [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #19485578 -

It's insane to think Reznor made Pretty Hate Machine, then released The Downward Spiral. I love both of the albums but both have such differing sounds that it's interesting to see the transformation. The Downward Spiral has a really cool concept as well. Always hard to watch Reznor's pre NIN endeavors without a laugh haha.


--------------------
"The rain let up and the sun came out as we were getting dry
Almost let a pickup truck nearly pass us by
So we jumped right in and the driver grinned as he dropped us up the road
And we looked at the swim and we jumped right in not to mention fishing poles
Ohhh the water...
Oh ohh the water...
Oh the water...
I dont care if it rains all day."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* .
( 1 2 3 4 all )
z_x_x_z 3,543 65 06/27/10 06:00 PM
by Idiot
* NIN: New album and tour. . . (first single inside) trampis 595 14 06/06/13 09:39 PM
by LySergic D
* Any other pubbers out there listen to the NIN?
( 1 2 all )
Vulture 2,063 22 06/05/05 10:03 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* NIN
( 1 2 all )
TurntableJunky 1,603 35 07/14/07 02:41 AM
by Idiot
* What do you think is the best NIN album? TheDemon 568 4 11/23/05 03:06 AM
by emptywisdom
* Lightshow pics and vids sgtshroom 376 3 03/30/10 12:33 PM
by sgtshroom
* *DELETED*(b/c akira_akuma makes too much sense)
( 1 2 3 all )
Olympus Mons 2,415 53 05/26/10 03:22 PM
by Synesthetic
* So,.... how cool would it be to download the track for the new NIN albums and remix the songs??? Psilocybeingzz 1,106 19 10/13/08 12:41 AM
by jewunit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,566 topic views. 9 members, 8 guests and 83 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 15 queries.