Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator
    #1938444 - 09/21/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Damp Rid... [Re: Tremor1127]
    #1938462 - 09/21/03 05:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Check in the paint department...frequently it is used in areas to dehumidify before painting. That's the department I usually find it in at Lowe's, and larger hardware stores....

Offlinetaters
french fried

Loc: the garden
    #1938470 - 09/21/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Don't bother asking the employees for desiccant. All you'll get for your trouble is a blank eyed stare. "Desi-what?"

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: Theo Nanacatl]
    #1938472 - 09/21/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hmmmm, this is in the faq, and is not necessary to be posted in advanced forum.but yeah, ^^^^^he^^^^^ is correct.

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Damp Rid... [Re: taters]
    #1938487 - 09/21/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ditto^^ I'm not sure how much this fancy dessicant costs but but one of them is made up of the chemical calcium chloride which is exactly what ice melt is made up of. from experience this stuff works overnight if have a lot of surface area but it seals up fast with a hard layer on top as soon as moisture is absorbed, once u mix it it just keeps on going. so in other words you can get dessicant at any store with ice melt that says on it that it is calcium chloride flakes or whatever and you get a gallon for 5 bucks. i bought mine a year ago and still have half left because all i have to to is mix it and it keeps on working-just remember you need surface area not depth here.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: jakeholman]
    #1938495 - 09/21/03 06:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineEgoMagickian
human

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1938520 - 09/21/03 06:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Check the crafts section at Walmart for silica gel (used for drying flowers).

The other day I was at Chase Pitkin (a hardware store) and it was horrible. I hadn't been to this store before, only went cuz it was nearby... walk in, and down the way I can see a sign in the HVAC section that says Filters. I go down there and all they have is the normal heating system filters. Luckily, there's a nice man just waiting to answer my questions.

"Do you have any other kinds of filters?" I ask. What for? "HEPA filters." Like for standalone, indoor units? "Sure." They moved 'em to Garden. "Rrrriiiight. Any idea what aisle?" Nope, they just moved 'em recently, that's all they told me.

So, over to Garden. Unlike the plumbing &  HVAC sections, all the aisles in Garden are helpfully labeled "Garden"... in case you forget what section your in, or in case you didn't want to know what was on each individual aisle. After staggering around for a bit looking unsuccessfully and seeing no employees, I go to the adjacent section and ask, "I'm told they moved all the HEPA filters to Garden. Do you know where they are?"

"What's a HEPA filter?"

I try to explain, and upon getting nothing but blank stares, I say, "It doesn't MATTER. They're in Garden." and he says "Right. I'll page someone to help you."

Over at the Garden desk, a relatively stoned-looking young man stumbles over. Of course, the other people who had been waiting there for deity knows how long (and didn't have the good sense to get someone paged) think they should be helped first. I interrupt their very important conversation about fireplaces (because fireplaces are part of Garden  :rolleyes: ) to ask where HEPA filters are. "We have filters in that aisle" he says, pointing.

Running out of time, I walk over to find: humidifier filters.

So I go up to the front desk and am greeted by the overly perky blonde college girl, "HI, how may I HELP you?!" Are you customer service? "Yup, sure am!" Riiiight. I told her the whole gory tale.

"What's a HEPA filter?"

"Look, I really don't have time for this. It really isn't that difficult. They belong in Filters, not Garden. That makes absolutely no sense to me. I have to go pick someone up now. I might be back; hopefully you'll have it figured out by then." Her jaw dropped. I was out the door. I picked up my friend right on time. I was, however, filterless.

The real bitch of the story is: there was only one person in that store who even knew what a HEPA filter is, and they took them away from him.

What. The. Fuck. 

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: EgoMagickian]
    #1938536 - 09/21/03 06:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I was in KMart and asked for a fan and the guy told me that he didn't think they sold any. You can get dessicant from walgreens or any major drug store. Look for epsom salts. Before using it however you must remove the moisture from it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: SixCee]
    #1938686 - 09/21/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It's really easy to find. I don't know why you are having so much trouble. Just walk down isles until you see it. It comes in blue refil cartons and also in bucets. Walmart stocks a ton of it, so it shouldn't be hidden or anything. I usually find it near the cleaning supplies, but I've seen it on sale racks in weird parts of the store too. Just try cleaning suplies first.

At Home Depot or Lowes it is always is in the paint section. Somebody there should easily be able to help you find it.

NEVER ask for things by they're technical names! NOBODY will have a clue what you are talking about and it just leads to too many questions. Just ask for things by their brand name. Just ask where the "Damp-Rid" is. If they ask you what it's for, just say you have a musty closet.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: Demiurge]
    #1938729 - 09/21/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've seen cartons of Damp Rid in the grocery store.

I couldn't tell you what department and prolly could never find it again, but it was there before I needed it and I made a mental note.

But as they say a mental note is only as good as the paper it's written on!

good luck

oh ya, if all else fails, you can find big buckets of calcium chloride on the web.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: Demiurge]
    #1938737 - 09/21/03 07:47 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hmmm, i guess i was lost, or maybe you were just sneaky and had it moved on me. i could swear this was in advance cultivation. im sorry, i guess im just a dumbass today.

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Anonymous

Re: Damp Rid... [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1938758 - 09/21/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have also not found any in my local Wallmart.
But i have at Kmart. It is in the closet section (storage racks, clothing bags, moth balls etc.) Hope this helps..

OfflineSmaug
 User Gallery
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: ]
    #1938787 - 09/21/03 08:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ditto on what Theo said. Go to Lowe's or whatever big hardware store is near you and look in the paint section for damprid.

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: Smaug]
    #1938835 - 09/21/03 08:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

dont know why im bothering to post this...
probably because im bored, its related, and people seem to be making a big deal about not being able to find one particular thing at any given store.

now, before you start bashing me, yes, i know, checking stores for the obscure item you need in mushroom cultivation is sometimes an exercise in futility, or seems as if.

theres more than damprid, that will work just as effectively. (as ppl pointed out with the driveway salt)

another option that is commonly reccomended on these forums (and probably even has a tek somewhere) is the use of baked epsom salts for a dessicant. if you cant find epsom salt when all elese fails, it might be wise to give up at this point. that being said, epsom salts (the stuff used for constipation and sprained things) can be found at any grocery store or pharmacy, its common, an employee of either will or should know what it is at the very least, and for the extra paranoid, no one other than those in the 'industry' know its potential as a dessicant, and even if they knew such, i doubt they'd know what we are using it for.

rambling again...
sorry if ive repeated anything already said in this forum
or if it was off-topic (since the topic is damp rid afterall, not dessicants)

-jb

--------------------

Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

Loc: Dark of the Sun
    #1938847 - 09/21/03 08:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I just bought damp rid at walmart today actually. Try looking by the cleaning supplies (mops, paper towels, cleaning agents, etc.) thats where I found it.

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
Re: Damp Rid... [Re: shaftinmp]
    #1939133 - 09/21/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

its in meijers and most stores in the home cleaning aisle. with all the mops and brooms and oxy clean and bleach clean and etc. They had a few things of damp-rid.

Anonymous

Re: Damp Rid... [Re: factory81]
    #1939227 - 09/21/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Seriously, these customer service people need more training. Of course, I'll probably be working at Wal Mart sooner or later. And then I'll just put on a blank face and look all confused when someone asks about plexiglass or dessicant. "Brown flour? Rice? Whaaat?" Oh, fucking with kids is fun. I'm sure 90% of these assholes knows EXACTLY what you want and EXACTLY what you want it for. They just love watching the hippies squirm.

Then again, don't we all?

'Shroom on.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: ]
    #1939433 - 09/22/03 12:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinetrex1
Stranger
    #1939522 - 09/22/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Damn !!!! Must be alot of cultivators in your town.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: trex1]
    #1939524 - 09/22/03 12:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates