Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Dual Monitor setup problem
    #19336111 -

I just got a new desktop setup and I'm having a problem running dual monitors.

It's windows 8, the main monitor is connected via dvi and is working fine. I tried connecting the second monitor with vga at first and nothing happened. The monitor is on, the screen is black like it's working but there's no picture. I thought it might have something to do with running dvi and vga so I got another dvi cable and tried connecting it with that, but still no go.

When I go into my graphics control center and click detect displays it only detects the main monitor and not the second one. I have no clue what the problem is. I thought drivers were installed automatically so I don't know if that's the problem.

Anyone have any idea that could help me out?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dual Monitor setup problem [Re: x Ju x]
    #19336141 -

Some graphics cards are only designed to use certain outputs simultaneously (e.g. HDMI and DVI, or HDMI and VGA, but not DVI and VGA.) If that is the case there should be something about it in the documentation that came with it. Will it work with the second monitor if you disconnect the first?

I would download the latest drivers to eliminate the driver variable, and maybe restart the computer to see if that makes any difference. I don't actually use W8 so I don't know any particulars about it.

Edited by psi (12/28/13 09:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dual Monitor setup problem [Re: x Ju x]
    #19336155 -

You should be about to force detect, or tell the driver the monitor is there.

Or, boot up using the VGA monitor, then plug in the DVI you get into windows.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dual Monitor setup problem [Re: x Ju x]
    #19336156 -

I'm not familiar wit win8 but sometimes you have to enable the second monitor.  poke around in the windows options first. if you have nvidia there might be a section called set up multiple dispays.. make sure both are selected.

it's not a driver issue its a settings issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dual Monitor setup problem [Re: 4runner]
    #19336287 -

Try isolating each monitor on its individual feed, like psi said.

Disconnect the DVI and see if the 2nd monitor works off the VGA feed.  If you have a video out off your mobo, you might try one on the video card and one on the mobo and see if that solves the issue.

If not, video cards are pretty cheap these days.  I use a Zotac nvidia 440GT based card and it handles an HDMI and DVI out simultaneously.  I'm running twin 23" monitors at 1920 x 1080, and the card only cost me $50.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dual Monitor setup problem [Re: 4runner]
    #19336297 -

I've been searching for setting or something like that to enable it but I can't find it. I just got windows 8 so everything is new. When I start up the computer with both monitors connected, the monitor that I'm having problems with starts to run as the main monitor, like the HP logo shows up and the boot screen, but then it switches over to the other one.

I'm just having trouble figuring out what exactly needs to be done for it to detect it.

I'll try going into my video card settings but I'm not even sure how to do that exactly, haha. I have no knowledge when it comes down to this kind of stuff.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* help my monitor is making my skin very dry! Scarfmeister 1,120 14 09/15/04 08:32 PM
by Barbi
* Problems buying spores Retchers 1,925 6 09/13/03 07:19 AM
by Retchers
* Monitoring period of Probation: Safe to smoke? NextKind 1,053 9 12/22/04 04:01 AM
by Frappy
* my killer tent setup on shrooms.
( 1 2 all )
kadakuda 3,096 24 09/28/04 07:41 PM
by kadakuda
* setup mycopsycho 589 7 07/17/04 08:42 PM
by mycopsycho
* Internet problems... Krishna 917 4 02/23/04 05:50 PM
by Karellen
* Problems/benefits that come with height
( 1 2 all )
blacksabbathrulz 4,039 22 11/20/03 07:23 PM
by DoctorJ
* HELP!! with car problem ShroomyMcPot 1,081 8 04/07/04 11:14 AM
by ShroomyMcPot

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
289 topic views. 9 members, 22 guests and 145 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.