Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
HELP!! with car problem
    #2527788 - 04/05/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok heres the problem. I have a 92 GMC sierra 6 cylinder single cab truck. Sometimes when im driving it loses power for a few seconds sometimes maybe a minute or two. While this is going on the rpm needle jumps up and down a little. Switching gears makes the rpms go up but im still losing power and the needle still jumps. This happens intermitenly and may go months without it ever happening, so im pretty sure its not bad gas. The previous owner said it happened with him too but he couldnt get a mechanic to figure out what it was because it wouldnt ever happen while the mechanic had it. The mechanic also checked the fuel line and filter to see if they were clogged and they werent. Also I have just recently checked all the spark plugs and gapped them.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: HELP!! with car problem [Re: ShroomyMcPot]
    #2527991 - 04/05/04 04:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

my friends car used to suddenly just stop for no reason

we eventually concluded that it happened whenever hed accelerate really fast or be driving really fast

is that when it happens to you?

he never figured out how to fix it

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineSick_Of_It_All
All Of It's Sick

Loc: Orlando, Florida
    #2528933 - 04/05/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Could be a number of things, does it seem more electronic or mechanical? Could be a bad computer, wiring, short, junk in the gas tank, bad sensor, etc...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2529148 - 04/05/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like the clutch is slipping.. or at least, your description brings to mind the experience I had when the clutch on my 5 speed manual started to slip. Mine is a 1991 and it started to show signs of slippage about a month or two ago, but if you nurse it you can keep it going for a while. Quick acceleration is where it starts to slip the hardest, for example if you shift to a higher gear quickly but you see your RPMs continuing to rise steadily as if it hadn't changed gears at all, then you let off the gas a bit and it should catch the higher gear and work properly again (note: it can also happen with no gear change by simply pressing the gas hard where you may notice the RPM rising but no additional power).

Not sure if that's what's happening but it sure sounds like it.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Edited by geokills (04/06/04 02:54 AM)

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
    #2529208 - 04/05/04 10:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

possably the pilot bearings in the clutch.

InvisibleTHEBOSS
THE BOSS

#2530378 - 04/06/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

My guess would be fuel delivery, check some GMC forums and find out if anyone else has the same problem.

THE BOSS

--------------------
Mushbox Forum

Anonymous

#2530948 - 04/06/04 11:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sound like the transmission is slippin to me..I've had this problem many times.

Try changing the transmission oil filter.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2531051 - 04/06/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

IF RPM gauge is bouncing around when you are holding at a steady pace ... this sounds like mis firing in one of the cylinders .
When you changed the plugs did you notice any oil build up on one of the plugs ?
Also check the distributor cap for excessive wear on the metal points , check the rotor also , unless this is one of the newer electronic type of distributors this could be the problem .
Also did you change the spark plug wires , sometimes when they get old they tend to cause mis fires .
Did you replace the PCV valave , air filter , make sure you have good air flow to the injectors . A trip to the dealer ship , and a request to hook up to computer may reveal the troubles , cost should be around 60 - 100 $ for a diagnostic check up on the computer .
Next time buy a FORD ! :wink:
Good Luck
To determine if cluch is acting up , pay attention to when you accelerate , does rpm go up a lot faster than the speed ? It should be roughly the same ... as rpm goes up so does speed , if rpms are rapping out at the top and no speed or very little , than yes clutch is slipping , be gentle with it and you can milk a few more miles out of that old clutch .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
    #2534753 - 04/07/04 01:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I figured out that it is some kind of computer chip in the truck that is bad. It somehow regulates somthing and does some kind of crap. Someone just explained it to me but im high.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub