Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Gym Lutes?
    #1921395 - 09/16/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I picked from these woodchips before and posted pictures which were thought to be gymnopilus luteofolius. I kept my eye on the woodchips for the next fruiting in hopes that they would show more signs of purpleage on the caps. They do but the mushroom itself looks more yellow than the last fruiting. I'm curious as to what GGreatone234's opinion is on this. They were really small which is why the pictures aren't the best.

The second picture is the best representation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Gym Lutes? [Re: ]
    #1921426 - 09/16/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think they resemble what luteofolius are supposed to look like. Though I could be wrong.

I don't have my books offhand, but I had gone through a long process with mr_mushrooms attempting to identify a luteofolius, did you ever have any luck Mr_M?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1921427 - 09/16/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, i think those are luteofolius.
-Really beat up specimens, but they sure look like lutes to me.

Gotta go,
GG

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1921465 - 09/16/03 12:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

We need to see the gills.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1921729 - 09/16/03 01:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Those look like luteofolius to me.

Definately a Gymnopilus.
-I can't think of anything else they could be but G luteofolius..

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1921864 - 09/16/03 02:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not trying to steal anyone's sunshine, (sorry ggreatone), with all respect,, Ladle2 I beg you to give a more accurate description of the mushrooms in question. here's a link to help you key it in, or out!!!!!

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Gymnopilus_luteofolius.html

Is the spore print orange or white?????Pay particular attention to the anulus zone and look for remnants of a veil or lack there of.. it is a distiguishing characteristic of gym luteofolius!!!Taste is bitter as well. Disect it and see if the flesh is yellow or white to vinaceous (wine like) puple if there is no veil or remnants and the flesh is yellow or yellowish. then I would suggest reading about this lookalike species... "Tricholomopsis rutilans", here's a link also from mykoweb... http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Tricholomopsis_rutilans.html

and please don't go by the photographs as they can be misleading.. "you know they only use the pretty ones", key it out with the information they provide....

I'm relativly new to this game so take my advise or leave it... but something about gymnopilus luteofolius doesn't jive with me.... and at best they characterise gym luet's as mildly hallucinogenic. Any other opinions,,, ????????

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (09/16/03 03:10 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Gym Lutes? [Re: nofind_um]
    #1921919 - 09/16/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, those pics are of a huge cluster of them growing during perfect conditions.
-At mycoweb, probably California luteofolius.

Here is a example of what i find in southwest Florida when the growing conditions are perfect;

G. luteofolius can and is a conspicuous Shroom,

Keep shroomin,
GG

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Gym Lutes? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1921948 - 09/16/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Two more collections made a couple days later at a different place;
-Much larger specimens than the pic above.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#1921984 - 09/16/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah, those pics are of a huge cluster of them growing during perfect conditions.
-At mycoweb, probably California luteofolius.

Yes I agree totally. Don't go by the pretty pictures as they can be misleading... "stated earlier", Yes the pictures ladle posted are pretty beaten up,, but I still don't get the fact that the flesh on ladles pics looks to be yellow,,, I mean it is unmistakably yellow,,,"is there any explanation for this"???

I've never found gym, lutes,,, and don't represent myself as any type of authority what so ever,, just giving my two cents,, "closer to a cent and a half", and in my opinion,(from the limited amount of reading I have done on the subject), they don't appear to be gym lutes,, to give a half hearted, (maybe, possibly, look like them to me would just be irresponsible),,, Good luck Ladle hope they are indeed gymnopilus luteofolius...

Great pics by the way ggreatone,, ... later...

--------------------

Anonymous

#1921993 - 09/16/03 03:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This find is from last week. The specimens are all dried out now. On many of the mushrooms the base of the stem has gone blue, and on one specimen it is blue 75% of the way up the stem. I did spore prints before and they were orangish. Definately not white as suggested. I could get a print just by wiping the gills with paper, which is typical of gyms. Still I have no plans on ingesting these. Check out these pictures of the last time this patch fruited, much more orange in color, but a a lot less purple...

These were growing from the exact same spot on the same mulch bed. I watched the bed from then until the current fruiting. Same mushrooms, different fruitings, different ages. Same sporeprint colors-orangish.

Anonymous

#1921999 - 09/16/03 03:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ggreatone, do you have any close-up pics of small specimens?

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1922646 - 09/16/03 06:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i dont think they are Tricholompsis rutilans but here are two of my pictures of Polish T. rutilans from this july:

greatone, what are the "perfect conditions" for the Gyms you find here in florida? what time of the year?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Gym Lutes? [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1923285 - 09/16/03 09:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

what are the "perfect conditions" for the Gyms you find here in florida? what time of the year?

June and July, when the rains start pouring.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Gym Lutes? [Re: nofind_um]
    #1923305 - 09/16/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

the flesh on ladles pics looks to be yellow,,, I mean it is unmistakably yellow,,,"is there any explanation for this"???

-The yellow leads me to believe they are Gymnopilus.
-It is the purple that tells me they are luteofolius.

It's the purple. :smile:

Even so, you see purple on basically all the caps in my collections,
-But this is only because i am not bringing home the ones with little (or no) purple on the caps.

It is strange, when i find a bed of mulch fruiting luteofolius, it is almost like the luteofolius has 2 variations or appearances,
-one variation is not purple on the caps and rarely if ever has bluing,
-and the second variation are the ones i have pictured above and they have the purple caps and some of the caps have blue splotches and the stems mycelium has blued.

Of course, it is the same mushroom species.
-But the patches vary some..
-The potency is in the purple and blues.

I've Shroomed on these mushrooms a few times.
-It was interesting. It made me feel "woody" :smile: or "tree-like".
-Probably will not eat them again though, because a certain element of bodily danger does lie in the ingestion of Gymnopilus.

The ones that Ladle found are not 'potent' enough to eat or trip from. I would fit those into the 1st variation of not having enough purple on the caps.
-The extremely purple ones in my photos do indeed contain plenty of psychoactive chemicals, though,

Keep shroomin,
GG

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1923596 - 09/16/03 10:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a photo example of the only ones that i would personally even bother ingesting. (The potent ones);

I circled the Shrooms i think to be the best,
-And the rest, i wouldn't even consider trying to yack down.

Click to enlarge and see my circles :smile:

Ladle, it would be very wise to be  very selective about which ones of these to put into your belly, ok?

Yeah, luteofolius (and a few other Gymno species) used to grow at the public library and i was picking some one day and this dude walks up (:lol:) (:noway:) and asks me "are they magic?"
-So i try explaining to him "well, yes, but you do not want to eat these things man. There are far too many toxic look-a-likes and these are not meant to be eaten like the ones in the cow pastures."

Then, the very next day after this encounter,  all the Gymno's completely vanished from the site (there must have been a good 20 pounds of them in total the day before). And the larger patches were all torn to shit and even as if someone came and stole all the woodchips as-to maybe transplant the mycelium.
-Sure enough, a few weeks later i'm sitting outside the library and the dude walks up and is like "man, those yellow mushrooms didn't trip us out. We ate hundreds of the damn things and nobody ever tripped."
-I was just like " :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Man you have no idea what you are doing, you have no idea what those mushrooms are, you shouldn't have done that, don't ever eat those ever again.  :cool:"

I've never seen them growing at the library ever since.
-The mushrooms just stopped after this incident.
-That is for the better i suppose  :eyemouth:

Keep on shroomin, If you dare,
GGreatOne234     

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1923664 - 09/16/03 11:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

:smile:

Edited by GGreatOne234 (09/17/03 03:17 AM)

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#1924371 - 09/17/03 04:55 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks,, I see about the purple,, it's strange how some have it and some don't.  GGreat stories as well, thanks for sharing them with us...  :smile2: 

--------------------

Anonymous

#1925521 - 09/17/03 02:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Ladle, it would be very wise to be very selective about which ones of these to put into your belly, ok?"

Okay papa. I stated at least 2 or 3 times I have no intentions of eating these.

On a less sarcastic note, I do appreciate all the identification help.

Anonymous

Re: Gym Lutes? [Re: Raadt]
    #1932192 - 09/19/03 11:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
    #1932200 - 09/19/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Was curious, GGreatOne- about the "certain elements of bodily danger" that you reffered to. Are you talking about look alikes, or chemicals that go alongside the magic?

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags