Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Green spored Lepiota season
    #18527198 -

So since about mid-June, I have been noticing occurrences of green-spored lepiotas in my area (Southeast Virginia, Hampton Roads region, formerly Tidewater).  Usually, these do not show up around here until August-September, sometimes into October.  I have never noticed them as early as they are this year.  The main difference is that we have had an unusually wet season so far, in the past month and a half I have only had to water my potted fig tree twice.  I am just curious to know if such seasonal aberrations in the appearance of certain mushrooms are common.  I am positive of my identification, the greenish tint to the mature gills and the green spore prints are dead giveaways.


--------------------
I am just a growing stack of sentient lumber.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Green spored Lepiota season [Re: Ygg]
    #18529074 -

I think is pretty common on an isolated area or species...  The idea of seasons is relative....

Mushrooms need food, water, humidity, substrate and possibly light... Some are tied into life cycle of trees and plants...  So, they will fruit when conditions are right... More than at a specific time per se... Generally speaking...

Hate to bring it up, but our weather patterns are changing... And what follows is probably 'seasons' will get more and more vague and general timing


--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Green spored Lepiota season [Re: HarryL]
    #18529182 -

Mushrooms can pop up out of accepted seasonal boundaries much like plants can spot flower out of season, Its the relative conditions that make the difference, not the time of year.

I guess it would almost be a measure of what you would call a good season, if your target species showed up earlier and disappeared later then it would be a good season :P

though i would hope you are not targeting green spored Lepiotas :P!


--------------------
:mushroom2: I hunt Shrooms :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Green spored Lepiota season [Re: Dr. Sub]
    #18529365 -

Lol!  No, I am not targeting green-spored lepiotas at all.  It is simply that they are so confounded ubiquitous around here in the late summer and early fall. It just struck me as very odd to be seeing them this early. Every time I see them, I keep hoping it will be a parasol, though it never is.  Once, a couple years ago, I did find a reddening lepiota growing on some mulch outside a local mall, but there was only the one and since I am by no means a mushroom expert, I declined to eat it.  Also, since it was on landscaped terrain, I did not want to chance ingesting herbi- or fungicides along with it.


--------------------
I am just a growing stack of sentient lumber.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Green spored Lepiota season [Re: HarryL]
    #18529387 -

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, weather patterns are changing, but this one just struck me as odd.  Usually the frackin' things start showing up after it begins to cool a little, but it is just lately (since mid-June) beginning to feel like summer here and they start popping up.  Not the usual pattern I have noticed for them.


--------------------
I am just a growing stack of sentient lumber.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Green Gilled Lepiota (Showing green gills)*PIC GGreatOne234 2,203 8 05/27/01 10:02 AM
by GGreatOne234
* The Curiously Poisonous "Green Gilled Lepiota" -- (One Pic) GGreatOne234 2,077 4 07/16/03 12:40 PM
by Gumby
* "green amantia muscaria?"
( 1 2 all )
the man 4,032 23 07/15/03 12:32 AM
by the man
* What kind of Mushroom is This. malibu76 1,101 3 07/18/02 05:44 PM
by Anonymous
* Greetings cprasky 1,022 5 08/24/01 10:15 AM
by cprasky
* Shroom Staining Red, Id Arkansas 2,319 9 11/17/02 11:42 PM
by RoKiSdEaD
* Need an ID.
( 1 2 all )
mickey_rourke 3,383 21 07/20/02 09:52 AM
by Anonymous
* MONSTER specimen found in yard.
( 1 2 all )
Lightningfractal 4,401 22 07/17/03 10:04 AM
by Ekstaza

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
406 topic views. 1 members, 12 guests and 40 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.