Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
MONSTER specimen found in yard.
    #1722100 - 07/16/03 05:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi. This monster specimen was found in my yard in Florida. It is the largest I have seen, but they grow abundantly. They start off in a ball shape then the veil busts loose and they end up like this. I know they are not active, but I'm wondering if they are poisonous or perhaps edible. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks all.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineovergrow
persistant one

Loc: S.Louisiana
Re: MONSTER specimen found in yard. [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #1722120 - 07/16/03 06:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Lepiota perhaps? I found some of those this mornin with 9-11 in caps!

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1722122 - 07/16/03 06:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Looks to me like a green spored lepiota. I'd have to look up the latin name. Take a spore print to be sure. If it green then that's possibly what you have. They are said to be poisonous. It would make you sick for two days with puking the whole time.

Some one else please tell me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (07/16/03 06:04 PM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: MONSTER specimen found in yard. [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1722131 - 07/16/03 06:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Chlorophyllum molybdites

if the spores are green

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (07/16/03 06:07 PM)

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1722144 - 07/16/03 06:11 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You are right..

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#1722148 - 07/16/03 06:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm taking spore print, I'll post it later when it's done. I was hoping to perhaps have a free shroom garden for my spaghetti growing in my backyard, but looks like I'm outta luck in that regard.

BTW, how poisonous are these lepiotia? Could they be deadly? I am worried about the little children running around the neighborhood. I guess I should begin making regular rounds to kick these things over.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: MONSTER specimen found in yard. [Re: motaman]
    #1722152 - 07/16/03 06:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Every year I get huge patches of them growing in my back yard. Some of the caps get as big as 12" in diameter.

Curiously they must not affect dogs the same as they do humans because my friend's dogs eat every one of them they can find.

--------------------

Edited by Ekstaza (07/18/03 03:07 PM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

#1722162 - 07/16/03 06:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The National Audubon Society: Field Guide To Mushrooms says "This very comon mushroom can be a drastic sickener, causing one or two or more days of violent purging."

--------------------

InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #1722164 - 07/16/03 06:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

if it's the same thing i think it is, it grows all over my hometown in yards in the summer... you never hear of anybody eating them or anything though... it seems like kids are pretty well advised against eating wild mushrooms, at least around here--so much so that i was too scared to trust myself on ids of edibles for years. I imagine rather than eating them, the kids will be kicking them over, saving you the trouble. I'm sure that's what I would have done, before I realized how amazing mushrooms were.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: MONSTER specimen found in yard. [Re: TomJoad]
    #1722183 - 07/16/03 06:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, most kids probably would avoid them or kick them like you said I guess. They look cool growing, damn if they were only actives!! Anyone know where I can get me a miniature cow for my backyard? :lol:

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Re: MONSTER specimen found in yard. [Re: TomJoad]
    #1722192 - 07/16/03 06:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

bluefoot23 said:
if it's the same thing i think it is, it grows all over my hometown in yards in the summer... you never hear of anybody eating them or anything though... it seems like kids are pretty well advised against eating wild mushrooms, at least around here--so much so that i was too scared to trust myself on ids of edibles for years. I imagine rather than eating them, the kids will be kicking them over, saving you the trouble. I'm sure that's what I would have done, before I realized how amazing mushrooms were.

Same thing here. I studied cubes for a year looking at pics trying to find them in the field and studying the ones I found to make centain of their identity before I ever consumed any. My life is precious to me.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

#1722197 - 07/16/03 06:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen where they have bred horses the size of dogs, but alas, no cows. :shake:

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#1722213 - 07/16/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like an untapped resource. Whoever bred cows the size of dogs would make millions from gulf coast state shroomers. heh, all the cultivators who always get contams could just throw a cow into their yard.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

#1722223 - 07/16/03 06:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If I remember correctly those minerature horses the size of dogs sold for thousands of dollars. Mini cows might also.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#1722230 - 07/16/03 06:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

an acre of land, and one regular cow might have to do. I have often thought of buying or creating a small cow farm in Florida.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1722294 - 07/16/03 07:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

As has already been mentioned, those are probably Chlorophyllum molybdites, a very nasty poisoner.

Since you asked about deaths due to it, I will let you know that there have been a few. Death is a rare result of these mushrooms, which are the most common cause of mushroom poisoning in the US. Children are the most likely to die, and there was a case around 1990 in which a child died after developing seizures 17 hours after eating the mushrooms. The most common cause of death is shock due to dehydration from the vomiting and diarrhea.

You should make a spore print to verify which they are. If the spore print comes out white, then we will need to know about the bruising reaction of the mushroom. Cut one in half vertically, scrape the inside of the stem and cap, and watch for color changes. In Lepiotas they seem to happen fairly quickly - within a few minutes.

The deadly Lepiotas are all much smaller than those, with cap sizes up to about 2 inches. There are also several species of Lepiota that are of unknown edibility. Since there are closely related deadly species, unknown Lepiotas are not something anybody should try eating.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
Re: MONSTER specimen found in yard. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1722330 - 07/16/03 07:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i made the mistake to eat some of those green spore shrooms when i was really young and dumb. i was sick for almost 2 days, rretching my guys out. :thumbdown:

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#1722349 - 07/16/03 07:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I rushed the spore ID by collecting some from the print onto a q-tip. They are green. The bruising is yellow with some darker yellow-brown, and brownish-red areas. The bruising is a fast reaction, but not as fast as the bluing of cubies. So, what's the final analysis? Chlorophyllum molybdites? The one that is very poisonous, or the one that is deadly poisonous?

--------------------

Edited by Lightningfractal (07/16/03 07:36 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1722420 - 07/16/03 07:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The green spores confirm that those are Chlorophyllum molybdites. Poisonous, but only rarely fatal.

Time to educate those around you that those guys are something you don't want to eat.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#1722884 - 07/16/03 09:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks everyone, I assumed they were non-edibles but I wanted to confirm it. Now hopefully my next pics will be of some actives from the cow fields! Peace bros.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification