Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemalibu76
Stranger
What kind of Mushroom is This.
    #755687 - 07/18/02 09:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok guys, lets see how good you are. And I know for a fact you are damn good. Here is a Mushroom I found today, actually one of several, in the grass. It is a white color, it did have a veil. As for spores, I really dont know if it had spores or not, if it did , they are white. And it did have gills.

I bought the Mushrooms Demystified book and looked and looked in it to try to id it but that book is very indepth. It is going to take a me a while to figure that book out. There is a ton of info in it.
Found in South Eastern United States
Well here it is, what do you think?

--------------------
See ya later,

"All posts made by this username are entirely fictional, except for this sentence"...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: What kind of Mushroom is This. [Re: malibu76]
    #755794 - 07/18/02 10:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's definitly a species of Lepiota... Can't think of the exact species. It looks like the shaggy parasol. They're fine edibles, but not hallucinogenic. If you plan on eating it, take a spore print just to make sure that its not the poisonous Green spored Lepiota.

Also wait for a second opinon...

On second thought, it looks very similar to the Green Spored Lepiota. Definitly take that spore print.

Edited by GumbyDude (07/18/02 10:24 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #755861 - 07/18/02 10:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

GumbyDude has it right. From your description and the photos, definitely Lepiotaceae. From the growth in grass and the relatively small scales on the cap, probably Chlorophyllum molybdites. The large Lepiota species which are likely to be confused with Chlorophyllum usually don't grow in grass - they are usually under trees at the edge of the grass, or on bare earth under the trees. Overnight the gills should turn a greenish-gray color if it is Chlorophyllum. One last odd fact about Chlorophyllum - according to NAMA, they are responsible for more poisonings than any other species of mushroom in North America.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#757084 - 07/18/02 07:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification