Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Becoming very uninterested in school.
    #17725827 -

It's honestly way too easy. I'd rather be working out, practicing piano or guitar,or just reading an actual good book. Anything I'm currently learning in college is total bullshit. I've been duel enrolled in college since my sophomore year of high school, and now that I'm actually in college, I've lost all interest.. It's way too easy, and the work is aggravating me more than it's teaching me... It's just taking up time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #1] * 5
    #17725848 -

College isn't a test of your wits.  It is a measure of your motivation.  Stay with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #17725858 -

Anonymous #2 said:
College isn't a test of your wits.  It is a measure of your motivation.  Stay with it.



Damn. You're right.. Gotta keep pushing, right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #1] * 1
    #17725864 -

Yeah.  It is too easy for intelligent folks like us to get caught up in the wrong mindset, because you are right, time is very important.  Sometimes you have to play by other people's rules before you can pick your own game.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #17726243 -

It's a trap, being intelligent. 

Just plough through it brother/sister, and keep the end goal in mind, whatever it is.

Love x

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #17726544 -

Stay in school, Stay in school Stay in school Stay in school.
You don't know how good you've got it right now. No where else provides you with such a social life, activities, and opportunities.
Find a way to learn what you really want to learn -not just what they teach.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #17730143 -

If bored, see about John Taylor Gatto. This stuff will clarify school for you.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #17731050 -

You can always drop out and try to make it on your own without a degree.

You'll most likely end up working a shit dead end job and wish you finished college for that piece of paper that says you are qualified to get a better job

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #17731931 -

Anonymous #6 said:
You can always drop out and try to make it on your own without a degree.

You'll most likely end up working a shit dead end job and wish you finished college for that piece of paper that says you are qualified to get a better job



True, unless one can actually get some nice business of their own off the ground. With the internet stuff available today, that's a MAJOR possibility, for anyone putting in the work. See Tim Ferriss, get informed.

Lacking original ideas and initiative, then yes jobs and papers it is, enjoy da 9 to 5 :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #17732421 -

OP, I have to say thank you for this thread, after pasting that link here I now started listening to Gatto's stuff and it's world-shaking.

I hope you take a few minutes to hear what he has to say. He's up there with Alan Watts in my book, amazing insights.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #5] * 2
    #17749575 -

My dad used to always try to impress upon me the importance of a college degree. After many years of working and getting put into the position of hiring and firing people, I have come to the conclusion that a college degree can be almost as much of a hindrance and it can be helpful.

A college degree can be helpful in getting that high paying job or the job of your dreams but keep in mind that is a much narrower field to try to find a job in. I have worked in places that limited me on what salary I could offer to new employees when I interview them. Many times, I have turned away college grads just because I felt they were over qualified or that they would leave as soon as a higher paying job came along. I could not blame them for it, but I also could not hire them because of it. Personally, unless you are going into a very specific field(geology, astronomy, chemistry, engineering, doctor etc), and in many cases, unless you already have a job waiting for you, a college degree can hurt your chances of getting a job. Some degrees are still worth it, but many degrees are worthless. Pick and choose yours well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #17750039 -

Anonymous #2 said:
College isn't a test of your wits.  It is a measure of your motivation.  Stay with it.



THIS don't fuck it up. Stay with it....I had to take the junior college route and transfer to my university. THAT was a waste of time :bored:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #17750429 -

Its possible to get by working at a grocery store and slowly saving your cash

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #17752659 -

Nobody's going to take even a single look at John Taylor Gatto, right? :facepalm3:

Might as well make a fresh thread with his work, but JEEZUS how OP is going to waste years off his life and millions of brain cells, in ways that could have been avoided.

I'm not saying quit college, but at the very least change study habits, majors, focus and time spent, goals in class, in significantly different ways. JT Gatto gives some awesome examples as to how and why, but likely they'll be missed here. Oh well...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17754865 -

Anonymous #1 said:
It's honestly way too easy. I'd rather be working out, practicing piano or guitar,or just reading an actual good book. Anything I'm currently learning in college is total bullshit. I've been duel enrolled in college since my sophomore year of high school, and now that I'm actually in college, I've lost all interest.. It's way too easy, and the work is aggravating me more than it's teaching me... It's just taking up time.



I quit school because I found it not challenging enough.

This was a stupid decision. Keep at it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #10]
    #17758685 -

Anonymous #10 said:
Anonymous #1 said:
It's honestly way too easy. I'd rather be working out, practicing piano or guitar,or just reading an actual good book. Anything I'm currently learning in college is total bullshit. I've been duel enrolled in college since my sophomore year of high school, and now that I'm actually in college, I've lost all interest.. It's way too easy, and the work is aggravating me more than it's teaching me... It's just taking up time.



I quit school because I found it not challenging enough.

This was a stupid decision. Keep at it.



Why was it stupid?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #17758695 -

School is for ghey Boy Scouts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #11]
    #17759872 -

I've started reading the man's book after this thread. Especially people in the US have absolutely no idea how fucked school is, compared to what's being represented in the media.

Significantly more so than in Europe, although it's some of the same stuff here. Some examples:

Quote:
By 1940, the literacy figure for all states stood at 96 percent for whites, 80 percent for blacks. Notice that for all the disadvantages blacks labored under, four of five were nevertheless literate. Six decades later, at the end of the twentieth century, the National Adult Literacy Survey and the National Assessment of Educational Progress say 40 percent of blacks and 17 percent of whites can’t read at all. Put another way, black illiteracy doubled, white illiteracy quadrupled. Before you think of anything else in regard to these numbers, think of this: we spend three to four times as much real money on schooling as we did sixty years ago, but sixty years ago virtually everyone, black or white, could read.



Quote:
In 1882, fifth graders read these authors in their Appleton School Reader: William Shakespeare, Henry Thoreau, George Washington, Sir Walter Scott, Mark Twain, Benjamin Franklin, Oliver Wendell Holmes, John Bunyan, Daniel Webster, Samuel Johnson, Lewis Carroll, Thomas Jefferson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and others like them. In 1995, a student teacher of fifth graders in Minneapolis wrote to the local newspaper, "I was told children are not to be expected to spell the following words correctly: back, big, call, came, can, day, did, dog, down, get, good, have, he, home, if, in, is, it, like, little, man, morning, mother, my, night, off, out, over, people, play, ran, said, saw, she, some, soon, their, them, there, time, two, too, up, us, very, water, we, went, where, when, will, would, etc. Is this nuts?"




The book is available online for free, shared by the author. Read some of this stuff and be amazed. http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/3b.htm

I hope you get some ideas to make school work, or to do something better with your time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #17759902 -

Anonymous #5 said:
If bored, see about John Taylor Gatto. This stuff will clarify school for you.





Gatto draws heavily off of Louis Althusser and the ideological state apparatus.

If you're interested in any of that, give some time to read Althusser. It's some thick reading but hey, your choice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Becoming very uninterested in school. [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #17760122 -

Anonymous #9 said:
Anonymous #10 said:
Anonymous #1 said:
It's honestly way too easy. I'd rather be working out, practicing piano or guitar,or just reading an actual good book. Anything I'm currently learning in college is total bullshit. I've been duel enrolled in college since my sophomore year of high school, and now that I'm actually in college, I've lost all interest.. It's way too easy, and the work is aggravating me more than it's teaching me... It's just taking up time.



I quit school because I found it not challenging enough.

This was a stupid decision. Keep at it.



Why was it stupid?



People won't hire because I don't have any education, I can't do what I want (gardener), bad payment, need experience but won't hire because no experience. :lol:

To be honest if I could revert time i'd go to culinary school and slave my days away as a cook; no matter the hours, i'd enjoy it even though i've already worked in small kitchens and know that you have to endure the heat but meh, each to their own.

OR i'd go for a trade. Fuck booksmarts -> you can teach yourself all of that.

Edited by Anonymous (02/07/13 06:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Quitting drugs, getting a REAL job, and going to a REAL college/university!
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 876 33 01/14/09 08:05 PM
by Anonymous
* Choosing a college....
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 519 20 03/09/09 12:00 PM
by Anonymous
* Is college going to suck on Probation?
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 671 24 02/21/08 11:50 AM
by Anonymous
* Fuck College and Fuck Egos
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Anonymous 2,628 70 11/10/08 01:30 PM
by Anonymous
* Choosing a college major
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 465 20 11/24/08 01:49 PM
by Anonymous
* The black college across town is having its homecoming......
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 744 34 11/18/08 06:17 PM
by Anonymous
* sitting in on a college class Anonymous 380 9 09/01/08 09:26 PM
by Anonymous
* F*** College Station Anonymous 316 7 09/01/08 08:15 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
586 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.