Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts?
    #17468313 -

I'm saving up for one, but I don't get paid much. I read a lot about how many problems people have had with them. Would it be worth it?

I don't like the look of most of the cars in the $5,000 range. Most 80s,90s, and early 2000s cars look like crap to me:shrug:. I know I'm not rich now and can't get something in which all my money is going towards, but I don't want to get a car in which I'm  gonna be hoping for another one the first day I get it.

Recommend nice looking cars within that price range that is reliable.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: SprewellSleeve]
    #17468336 -

You shouldn't base your car off looks if you are only spending $5000.

Look towards reliability. Get a toyota or a subaru. Possibly even a honda.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: SprewellSleeve]
    #17468350 -

audi's are generally a good car, but theres always going to be concerns when purchasing old cars. they need to be assessed on a case by case basis, get a good mechanic to go over the car first, or do one of those insurance company checks where they send a guy to do a report on a car for you.


--------------------

R.I.P. WoodRuss67, Todcasil, TheMerryIguana, The Rompus, Lord Senate.
[/url]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: Soulidarity]
    #17468467 -

Maintenance and repairs on a ten year old audi are going to hurt.


They're great cars to drive,  but they suck to work on.

Takes a half hour and three different tools just to change the fucking oil.

Lots of aluminum and plastic bits to break.


I wouldn't get an audi unless you know someone who enjoys working on them or you can afford to pay dealership prices for repairs.


Older toyotas are good shit.    I like subaru too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: SprewellSleeve]
    #17468624 -

i agree with beefy..

only get a car you can afford the maintenance on.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: Beefy1]
    #17468682 -

I wouldn't consider an early 00's audi.

They are just VW's with better trim and accessories from that time frame.

I'm assuming you are looking at Audi A4's and A6's which are Jettas and Passats with different lights, badges, and aforementioned trim.

They are known for having electrical problems. The problem is that any small part of your car that breaks is ridiculously expensive. As well as labor.

For example, a 00 A6 headlight bulb is $40 (this is just a light bulb).
Everything that you have to buy by ordering it from the dealership is just crazy expensive.

With $5k it's possible to purchase a lot nicer, more reliable, and cheaper to fix car.

I'd suggest:

96-01 Honda Civic or Accord (preferrably manual) as the auto trannys on those cars tend to break easy.

02-05 Nissan Altima

98-00 Nissan Maxima

95-05 Toyota Camry

Just some suggestions for reliable cars with good fuel economy, that are very easy and cheap to fix. I'll give you more suggestions if you're interested.

Do some research on edmunds.com as well if your looking for a specific style of car. They have very good/accurate reviews on that website.

Hope I could help somewhat, I'm a certified mechanic by trade, and have bought & sold cars for a business on and off for years. Just felt like I should give you some accreditation for my suggestions.


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17468703 -

or early toyota tacoma 95 to 04

the best thing to do is start looking for early model cars on the road and see which one you see the most.. that will usually give ya a good indication of cars that are surviving the test against time


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: rackem]
    #17468732 -

I lurve the look of Saabs. :heart:

The 900 SE convertible was only $4,995 in full about 5 years back.. and the 9-3 Viggen for only twice that last year; the non-convertible versions were running about $6,000 at the same time.  They may be cheaper now that Saab is out of business.  However, maintenance and repair work is quite expensive.

I've seen non-dealership 9-3's going for as low as $4,200.



--------------------
"You can peel it [language] off the ceiling and make it dance in front of you" - McKenna

<3 .

Edited by Cynosure (12/30/12 12:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: Cynosure]
    #17468869 -

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'm gonna look into the cars mentioned. I love the early 2000s Audis (A6 and S4 the most), but I can't risk the maintenance. This thread helped me.

How's the 2005 Chevy Malibu? I like the looks of them and the MPG seems good.


--------------------

Edited by SprewellSleeve (12/30/12 01:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: SprewellSleeve]
    #17468893 -

SprewellSleeve said:
How's the 2005 Chevy Malibu? I like the looks of them the MPG seems good.




Average.

GM got better in the second half of the decade.  I would avoid early 2000's GM-  they're already at the end of their life.


Cheap plastic interior,  Crappy electronics-  don't think I've ever seen a early 2000's GM that didn't have a probem with the power windows or dashboard.

Fairly cheap and easy to work on though. 

Test drive it.  See how it feels.  Play with all the buttons and switches.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: SprewellSleeve]
    #17468900 -

wayyy cheaper to fix.

and if you take care of it it will take care you.. specially if it is under 130k miles.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: Beefy1]
    #17468903 -

Get a cadillac


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: SprewellSleeve]
    #17469172 -

SprewellSleeve said:
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'm gonna look into the cars mentioned. I love the early 2000s Audis (A6 and S4 the most), but I can't risk the maintenance. This thread helped me.

How's the 2005 Chevy Malibu? I like the looks of them and the MPG seems good.



Maintenance will be a lot cheaper with a malibu than an audi, but I wouldn't recommend one, a lot of them tend to be pretty unreliable. It won't be ridiculous on repair prices, but it's going to have quite a bit more trouble more often then say, a toyota corolla.

I would highly recommend a corolla, or if you are lucky, find a geo prism or chevy prizm. It's the exact same car as a corolla (literally, open the hood and it says toyota) but they are less money. You could get a 99'-03' in your price range and they aren't bad looking cars.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: ganjfather]
    #17469190 -

They are extremely fucking ugly.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: The Vapor]
    #17469219 -

The Vapor said:
They are extremely fucking ugly.







I'd say it looks better than a malibu.....


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: ganjfather]
    #17469222 -

That's like saying I'm a good cook because my food tastes better than a turd sandwich.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: The Vapor]
    #17469226 -

Look into Toyota Camry's they are unstoppable, with a few grand you could get one that you could drive across the country in with no problems.

Edited by brokentv (12/30/12 02:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: The Vapor]
    #17469241 -

The Vapor said:
That's like saying I'm a good cook because my food tastes better than a turd sandwich.



:facepalm:

No it's saying a corolla looks better than a malibu

:kidsmirk:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: ganjfather]
    #17469253 -

ganjfather said:
The Vapor said:
That's like saying I'm a good cook because my food tastes better than a turd sandwich.



:facepalm:

No it's saying a corolla looks better than a malibu

:kidsmirk:



Yeah, no. What im saying is that you aren't comparing to much so you really shouldn't be that proud of how it looks.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Early 2000 Audis - Thoughts? [Re: The Vapor]
    #17469271 -

The Vapor said:
ganjfather said:
The Vapor said:
That's like saying I'm a good cook because my food tastes better than a turd sandwich.



:facepalm:

No it's saying a corolla looks better than a malibu

:kidsmirk:



Yeah, no. What im saying is that you aren't comparing to much so you really shouldn't be that proud of how it looks.



You compared a cook to a sandwich
In the situation we were talking about, you compared toyota to malibu. Not a corolla to a malibu. I'm just arguing because you're trying to be negative while I'm giving OP a little help.

OP has stated he wants something that looks somewhat ok, I said it looks better than the choice he picked and its actually a reliable car.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* audi nugsarenice 596 19 08/18/05 04:23 AM
by nugsarenice
* 98 chevy malibu!! :) Mickalopagus 549 6 09/01/09 08:04 PM
by SRHooM
* Concerened about High temperature-Hot ear!!!! orizon 980 1 12/25/03 03:28 AM
by Randolph_Carter
* 2001.5 Audi S4 Nashbar 902 11 05/11/07 11:34 PM
by theuser
* For auto repair do you go to a DEALERSHIP or a regular joe's car repair place
( 1 2 all )
Coaster 1,762 21 07/01/09 01:02 AM
by Deity208
* Cant hear out of my left ear.. Crass 2,500 9 02/18/04 03:56 PM
by Crass
* Breittenbush Shroom Conference 2000 mjshroomer 1,045 3 11/29/03 04:32 PM
by mjshroomer
* Bonnaroo Thoughts Prodijal_Son 1,270 14 06/21/03 03:16 PM
by ScumBagMaximum

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,371 topic views. 1 members, 227 guests and 106 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.04 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.