Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Trichoderma, ?-1,3-glucanases and glucose
    #1701255 - 07/10/03 01:09 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

(I posted this in AMC and not contam because it's about specific mushroom science.  I hope it belongs here.)

I was reading an article about the ?-1,3-glucanolytic system of Trichoderma (Applied and Enviornmental Microbiology, Vol. 64 No. 4, Apr. 1998 pp. 1442-1446) and it mentioned that glucose inhibits the glucanase enzymes, the enzymes that hydrolyze the linkages of ?-glucan to comprimise the cell walls of a fungal host cell.  It didn't say why, but my opinion is that Trichoderma is a tricky bastard (it has almost as big of a genome as a human, if I remember correctly) and if there's a source of energy available it'll grow and then parisitise the host cell having an advantage in numbers, in a matter of speaking, in order to more efficiently invade a section of the host.  Just my guess, though.

Now this would be great if it wouldn't just eat the damn glucose and then invade the mycelium, but the article didn't mention any experiments done with isomers, and the authors had no clue what might have been the specific mechanism by which the glucose inhibited the enzyme.  I would guess this is all done extracellularly because according to the graphs the change in enzyme activity took place almost immediately after adding glucose to the substrate.  I guess the major question, then, is how does it act as a downregulatory mechanism -- does an extracellular enzyme simply recognize it by a binding site, or is it broken down first?  I would have liked to see a test using labled glucose or something.  If it just recognises a ligand on the glucose molecule, wouldn't it be possible to find a similar inhibitor that can't be used as an energy source?

I know it sounds like speculation, but with the Agaricus industry losing $30,000,000 a year because of Trichoderma has any other testing been done on this since 1998?

Just curious :wink:

--
Micro 

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Trichoderma, ?-1,3-glucanases and glucose [Re: micro]
    #1701639 - 07/10/03 03:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting article!!

I have no clue about this though.. Its way above my head :smile:

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Trichoderma, ?-1,3-glucanases and glucose [Re: micro]
    #1702008 - 07/10/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology