Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Greenhouse Salvia plant pics and more...
    #5086579 - 12/20/05 07:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This was a big mother Salvia plant that I had growing outside last summer. I left it outside too long this fall and it almost died because of the cold. I decided to bring it inside and try growing it in my greenhouse. It took a long time to recover but thanks to the help of a 450 watt hps and plenty of humidity its finally starting to flush again. I'm gonna just let it hang out inside with me for the winter and then maybe plant it somewhere outside this spring.

Here's a couple close ups of the leaves. I love the deep emerald glow. It takes some of the blah out of winter to be able to see green like this everyday.

How about a Salvia plant with 5 sided stems? Not every branch on the plant had 5 sides, but a few of the fatter bottom branches were sporting a slightly pentagon shape (maybe for more support?).

Here's some double leafs that another one of my plants had on it last year.

I'm not exactly sure what causes this but I think Salvia plants tend to grow deformed leaves as a reaction to cold temperatures like in early spring or late fall.

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Greenhouse Salvia plant pics and more... [Re: peruvian spark]
    #5086641 - 12/20/05 07:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

peruvian spark said:
This was a big mother Salvia plant that I had growing outside last summer. I left it outside too long this fall and it almost died because of the cold. I decided to bring it inside and try growing it in my greenhouse. It took a long time to recover but thanks to the help of a 450 watt hps and plenty of humidity its finally starting to flush again. I'm gonna just let it hang out inside with me for the winter and then maybe plant it somewhere outside this spring.

Here's a couple close ups of the leaves. I love the deep emerald glow. It takes some of the blah out of winter to be able to see green like this everyday.

How about a Salvia plant with 5 sided stems? Not every branch on the plant had 5 sides, but a few of the fatter bottom branches were sporting a slightly pentagon shape (maybe for more support?).

Here's some double leafs that another one of my plants had on it last year.

I'm not exactly sure what causes this but I think Salvia plants tend to grow deformed leaves as a reaction to cold temperatures like in early spring or late fall.

Awesome, awesome pics. Do you mind if I add a couple of them to grow tek on Salvia?

InvisibleJaeger
Dreamer
Re: Greenhouse Salvia plant pics and more... [Re: World Spirit]
    #5086703 - 12/20/05 07:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Very pretty, maybe I will get a cutting someday.
That is a nice old plant, very sturdy looking stems, good work!

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#5086878 - 12/20/05 08:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No problem, here's a couple more pics if you want them.

This one here is probably one of my favorite pictures of Salvia I've ever taken or seen. This plant was just freaking beeeautiful! VVVVV

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5086954 - 12/20/05 09:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent. Can you give the fellas here a few tips on growing (from your own observation)?

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5086978 - 12/20/05 09:18 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Nice pics

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: Greenhouse Salvia plant pics and more... [Re: World Spirit] * 1
    #5087200 - 12/20/05 10:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I hope this helps somebody.
Here goes....I'll reveal some of my secrets to growing Salvia (Maybe not secrets, but they work for me) The only time I bought a Salvia plant was about 6 years ago, I bought 3 and have been propagating the same ones ever since. I'm guessing that that plants for sale nowadays are still the same as far as vigor, growth habit and what not. I've just heard a lot of people around here saying that they've had lots of problems with cuttings they've recieved. The key thing is to start out with a nice healthy cutting that you'll be able to eventually take more healthy cuttings from.
I've had my fair share of problems as well over the years and have lost many plants but thankfully I always had a few extra that I could use as a backup if I had a crop failure. I bought my plants from a good friend so I don't have a vendor that I can recommend.

The #1 thing if you want nice plants is not to try to grow them outside!
They don't like potting soil, I use a soil-less type media (miracle-gro, sungro, scotts, or anything like that)
They really, really like flourescent light. I use four 40 watt plant bulbs that I hang from a wooden frame. That seems to be just the right amount of light to get good vegetative growth with just the right amount of stretch so they don't get too tall or stay too short. Temps should be in the 70's and they really don't need much humidity once established. I just spray them once a day or even less with a little bottle sprayer. Unless your house is ungodly dry you shouldn't need a humidity tent or anything like that.
Keep the soil moist, they don't like it too wet or too dry.
Fertilize with whatever you want but make sure the pH of the water is around 6.0, they don't grow for shit if the water is too basic. When they really get growing you can get almost two new sets of leaves per week!

And the ABSOLUTE most important thing I know of to grow Salvia plants is to watch out for bugs!! Whiteflies love them, and mites love them even more. I've noticed that these plants are really sensitive to insect damage. Just a couple mites on a leaf can make them not grow right. I use a lot of neem oil and pyrethrin to get rid of bugs. I can usually keep indoor plants clean but plants that are growing outside are sitting ducks, they can grow really big and nice outside too, but around here it's a bug battle in the summertime. The best bet is to start with clean material and keep it that way with neem oil or any other preventative spray.
If you build a relationship with the plants they will let you know what they want, and reward you as well.

Now I know how Don Juan (assuming there ever was a Don Juan) must have felt about preparing and keeping his little smoke in a pouch around his neck. I haven't smoked Salvia in over two years but I still enjoy and grow the plants and keep a little stash around just in case.......

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5087357 - 12/20/05 10:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That was a good read. I'm curious about one thing though: the pesticides. Are they manmade or natural? Do you have to wash the leaves in a special way or soak them in order to discard the pesticide buildup?

Offlinexurzax
Transcendingtime & space

Loc: canada, eh.
    #5088413 - 12/21/05 04:26 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Very nice looking plants. :smile:

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#5088541 - 12/21/05 07:11 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I use Supreme Neem. Its non-toxic and natural so all you have to do is spray the plant down with water a few times before harvest and all of the Neem oil will wash off. The plant might still smell like garlic so I would recommed laying off the neem several weeks before picking. Pyrethroids like Bug B Gone, Pounce, or whatever are still made from natural sources but I wouldn't use them on a plant that I planned on harvesting anytime soon. If you do, just rinse the plants off the same as above and it should be alright. They are a contact killer so none of the chemical will be absorbed by the plant. Pyrethroids are relatively non toxic as well, and the stuff you buy at the store is so diluted that you wont get sick from it unless you drink it right out of the bottle. Another really safe way to protect the plants is to use a dilution of Ivory soap in a spray bottle. It only takes one drop of soap in a 16oz spray bottle. It won't kill the bugs, but the soap makes thier skin dry out and the leaves will taste bad to them. A combination of all 3 methods should take care of any pest problems.
The best bet is to pick your stash plants out right away and then take special care to keep bugs off in the first place. I'll give the undersides of the leaves an occasional spray of water to discourage mites and I'll also go along one leaf at a time and smash any bugs I see with my fingers.

Peace

--------------------

Anonymous

#5088692 - 12/21/05 09:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

have you ever tried a true soil-less substrate and nutient soulution, if so what do the like in the order of ppm's?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5091088 - 12/21/05 08:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ok. One more question and then I'll rest in peace. Starting with a cutting. Can you post pics of the entire process (with about 8 or more photos)?

I think it would be tremendous if we could see the process with text and photos - from taking scissors and cutting a stem off - to seeing the plant grow into a self-sustaining plant.

/me begs you valiantly

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5091172 - 12/21/05 09:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ok so I lied. Could u also answer the info below if you get a few minutes of extra time?

1. Climate zone it will grow in outdoors:
2. Is the plant an Annual, Perennial, Biennial, etc:
3. Best way to start from seeds:
4. Frost - will it survive a heavy/light/long frost?
5. How much shade/sun?
6. How often does it get watered?
7. How long from the time you plant the seed til its ready for (partial or full?) harvest?
8. Dormancy
9. Ideal soil mix
10. Ideal fertilizer if any
11. Container growing tips
12. Common pests and diseases to watch out for. Also any other sensitivities the plant may have.
13. Health warnings (IE: wear gloves when harvesting tobacco)
14. Ideal propagation methods
15. If indoors, what type of lighting should be used?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5092664 - 12/22/05 06:55 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

really nice pics

--------------------

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#5092678 - 12/22/05 07:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

How about this- I'll do a grow-tek the next time that I take cuttings and I'll go through the entire process from beginning to end. I'll then try to answer any and all questions that may arise concerning propagation and care of the plants. I think it'll be easier if I just make a guide for people to follow. Ill make sure to post it here when its done, but it might take a while to complete.

Thanks redgreenvines, I've always enjoyed reading your words about Salvia. You've helped me to clarify some of the experiences that I've had with it and couldn't accurately describe.

Edited by peruvian spark (12/22/05 07:17 AM)

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #5092819 - 12/22/05 08:08 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Nice pics and nice you taking up to make the tutorial.

I always had problem growing this plant,but from what you say you have the know-how so i would love a "Salvia Growing Protocol" from you!

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Greenhouse Salvia plant pics and more... [Re: Psiloman]
    #5094522 - 12/22/05 06:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psiloman said:
Nice pics and nice you taking up to make the tutorial.

I always had problem growing this plant,but from what you say you have the know-how so i would love a "Salvia Growing Protocol" from you!

Me too!

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #5127698 - 01/01/06 12:09 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Nice Salvia plants. I saw those 5 sided star ones from my source a year ago. Pretty cool little mutant deviation from the standard 4 sided square ones. Those are mighty healthy I like them. Good green thumb you have buddy. All I know is they love humidity, MH bulbs and 16 hours of light. They don't like 12 hours of light that is for sure. They try to produce flowers but it is just about impossible.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Invisibleicekila
BOSS

Loc: Somewhere
    #16632619 - 08/02/12 10:17 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

peruvian spark said:
No problem, here's a couple more pics if you want them.

This one here is probably one of my favorite pictures of Salvia I've ever taken or seen. This plant was just freaking beeeautiful!    VVVVV

Nice plants mate

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order