Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Why We Smoke
    #1646573 - 06/19/03 11:08 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The control of fire and it's utilization as a tool was one of the major turning points in the development of hominids.  If it were not for this vital achievement, we would not be here today.

Because of this, we have a deeply ingrained relationship with this element.  Somewhere deep within us is an extreme need to have fire and control it with our hands.  It's what makes us who we are.

This is obviously the reason why people smoke cigarettes and other plant materials today.  This love, respect, and desire for fire is also displayed in many other ways by our species.

The Olympic torch, for example.  Even something as small as using a BBQ grill to have a cookout in the summer, or camping out and having a campfire!  It's people getting together and paying worship to the element.

There were even religions devoted to fire (and the other three main elements) a long time ago.  Today, though, smoking is the way many people choose to pay their worship to the element.  I even know many people who don't smoke, but still own lighters and use them to burn candles and incense.

It's all the same thing:  us expressing our extreme, subconsious need to control fire with our hands.  No question about it.

:laugh: :wink:

Peace & Intelligence,

RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Why We Smoke [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1646675 - 06/19/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

fire = magic

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Why We Smoke [Re: Malachi]
    #1646706 - 06/19/03 11:48 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

/me lights up a cigarette

:smile:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #1646730 - 06/19/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thats a very good prespective, dunno if I agree w/ it but I like it none the less :smile:

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1646741 - 06/19/03 11:58 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

here's something for all you pyros:  :grin:

http://skyandtelescope.com/mm_images/5247.jpg

the surface of the sun

Sun = Fire = Life

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Why We Smoke [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1646760 - 06/20/03 12:04 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

LOL, this is very ironic considering the new post I just made! :laugh:

That is one cool ass pic, though! :laugh: 

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#1646790 - 06/20/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yeah I just noticed that thread.
and yes stars are great big balls of fire.. . plasma, actually and a buncha other stuff... I'll continue the thought in the other thread :smile:

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1660122 - 06/24/03 11:31 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

*lights up a cig*... *sits down* :smile: 

--------------------
What?

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
Re: Why We Smoke [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1660157 - 06/24/03 11:47 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I smoke cause I like to get high, I cook because I like meat to taste good.

that is all.

Wow, I am fucking baked right now, I gatta admit tho, fire rocks!

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Why We Smoke [Re: Sombie]
    #1660178 - 06/24/03 11:57 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ive lit fires cause ive been pisses, cause ive been sad, cause i really hate things sometimes. Ive lit many fires for purely destructive purposes, some creative as well. BUt i must agree with rebel steeve. i think cigarettes do pose a sort of control. It is kind of "mystical". Especially when you get a buzz!

--------------------
What?

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
    #1660231 - 06/25/03 12:15 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Eh, I dont smoke cigs.

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Why We Smoke [Re: Sombie]
    #1660251 - 06/25/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

either way. you still get a buzz. MarI JUANA or you know the fabulous Square. we made pipes...! and we learned how to roll. we have even come up with filters.

--------------------
What?

OfflineSteelLynx
lumpo-tron
    #1661574 - 06/25/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

From Atlas Shrugged:

"I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind?and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

I really like that paragraph, it's a super neat way to justify paying money to large corporations to poison myself. Oh well.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Why We Smoke [Re: SteelLynx]
    #1661588 - 06/25/03 02:05 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OMG! :shocked:

I absolutely love that passage as well!  Take a look in the Atlas Shrugged thread in the Music, Arts, & Literature forum and you will see my mention of it!

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #1661708 - 06/25/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind?and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

If you believe that, then im sorry you gave into the lie of cigarettes, or maybe not given into a lie, but rather, accepted the negative future long term smoking brings about...

Are all those times "thinking" while smoking really worth the harm it does? and why dont you "think" over a cup of tea, or while driving, or... any time you want.. total bullshit argument...

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#1661793 - 06/25/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

hey one of the greatest thing about smoking (besides getting stoned  :grin:) is that crackling sound when you smoke nice sticky buds. god I love that sound! it's like the sound of anticipation. makes me drool just thinking about it. :crazy2:

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Why We Smoke [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1661850 - 06/25/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i think the crackling sound is seeds u missed.

haha jk

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Why We Smoke [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1661899 - 06/25/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Geez...

People here really seem to like being argumentative and offensive for no reason. Admittedly, I do this too sometimes, but still...

I was just saying that I really like that passage. It's a very interesting way to look at smoking cigarettes.

If you believe that, then im sorry you gave into the lie of cigarettes, or maybe not given into a lie, but rather, accepted the negative future long term smoking brings about...

I have in no way "given into the lie of cigarettes," whatever that means. And I have in no way accepted the negative future that long-term smoking brings about.

Honestly, the fact that I started smoking cigarettes is the thing I regret most about my life! It is one of the very few things that I do regret about my life, in fact. I think it's completely stupid. I hate myself for the fact that I love my life, yet I am consciously killing myself little by little each day.

Are all those times "thinking" while smoking really worth the harm it does? and why dont you "think" over a cup of tea, or while driving, or... any time you want.. total bullshit argument...

Why are you assuming that the only time I think is while smoking cigarettes? That's a completely assinine assumption. Do you think that I only turn my brain on and allow myself to think when I light up a cigarette??? That's just ridiculous.

And as for that passage being a "total bullshit argument," it was not an argument of any sorts. I was just saying I like what it says.

So chill out, man. I am not an idiot. I know smoking is stupid. If I could quit, I would. I've tried many times. This summer I plan on trying again when I live out in the woods for a month. I have high hopes that I will be successful this time, too.

Peace,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #1661926 - 06/25/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

That post was not directed towards anyone, rather, it was an unbacked rant from someone who likes to argue everynow and then

take no offense

InvisibleLTBOOMER
Harpua
Loc: Lietuva
Re: Why We Smoke [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1661975 - 06/25/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

your ideas intrigue me and ide like to subscribe to your monthly newsletter. but for real, interesting hypothesis. I need to spend more time in this forum.

--------------------
NOTICE: THIS POST IS A WORK OF FICTION AND IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

"I wanna remember to remember to forget you forgot me"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale