Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Missing Elements
    #2024971 - 10/20/03 11:13 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Have you ever thought that perhaps many scientific breakthroughs remain unrealized because of the absence of certain key elements which have not been discovered yet? Perhaps these elements exist in large quantities in other galaxies. Maybe time travel would be possible if only we had some "Brinaxiadium" to use in the circuit board of a time machine. The periodic table lists 118 elements now. (A few of these are merely lab creations)I just find it hard to believe that there are only around 100 elements, I bet there are perhaps millions or even billions or more base elements in the universe. Thoughts?

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Missing Elements [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2024982 - 10/20/03 11:21 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Well once you reach a certain atomic size, instability occurs and the atom releases some of it's energy in order to transform into a "smaller" (and more stable) element.

However if you look at how Life has solved this problem you'll see that extra elements aren't what is needed.

"Macroscopic" molecules, like DNA, probably exhibit some of the quantum events that are normally only seen on atomic to sub-atomic scales.

Materials science will be something to watch in the coming years. I just read a story last week about a surface they've created that is so "slippery" water will run right off it without getting the surface wet. It works by millions of tiny nano-scale "pins" that stick out of the surface. The surface tension of the water is not broken by the nano-pins, so the water runs right accross the top of the pins.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Missing Elements [Re: trendal]
    #2025020 - 10/20/03 11:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

> Materials science will be something to watch in the coming years. I just read a story last week about a surface they've created that is so "slippery" water will run right off it without getting the surface wet. It works by millions of tiny nano-scale "pins" that stick out of the surface. The surface tension of the water is not broken by the nano-pins, so the water runs right accross the top of the pins.

I read the same article. It will be interesting to see if they can keep their nano-scale pins dirt free long enough to be of use. Honda tried to do something similiar on one of their solar cars a few years ago. They used a grooved encapsulation on the array to try and focus light away from the solar cell 'connections' and redirect it to the silicon itself. The results were very good in the lab, but on the road the grooves held in dirt which lowered the overall efficency of their array.

> instability occurs and the atom releases some of it's energy in order to transform into a "smaller" (and more stable) element

Anybody that is interested in this, should do a search for 'binding energy' to find out more information.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order