Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Newbie]
    #16574688 -

Newbie said:
Same with people that say "knive" instead of, "knife".



It is pronounced kuhnife.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16574695 -

BlindSophist said:
DeadHearts said:
Newbie said:
SoreSpore said:
Also, when people say 'heigth'.
"Just because it it is width and depth, does not mean that there is an h added on to all forms of measurement."
Every single time I hear it irks my bones.



Same with people that say "knive" instead of, "knife".



I mean if you are talking about one Knife then (knife) is good but when talking about
multiple Knives is acceptable.



But as in, "Could you pull a knive off the rack?" Definitely grounds for stabbing by knives.




Oh I agree

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16574696 -

BlindSophist said:
DeadHearts said:
Newbie said:
SoreSpore said:
Also, when people say 'heigth'.
"Just because it it is width and depth, does not mean that there is an h added on to all forms of measurement."
Every single time I hear it irks my bones.



Same with people that say "knive" instead of, "knife".



I mean if you are talking about one Knife then (knife) is good but when talking about
multiple Knives is acceptable.



But as in, "Could you pull a knive off the rack?" Definitely grounds for stabbing by knives.



THIS^

That's exactly what I'm talking about. 

Also, my bff says, "Seen" when he should say, "saw". 


"I seen this guy do blah blah blah" 

NO.  It's I "SAW" this guy do blah blah blah. 

JFC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Newbie]
    #16574729 -

do they pronounce 'gene' as 'genie'?


--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Edited by Dawks (07/23/12 03:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Newbie]
    #16574741 -

Oh god I was waiting for that one to be mentioned, that is by far the worst one for me in terms of making my skin crawl.  "Yeah I seen it":mad2:


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #16574748 -

I seent it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Dawks]
    #16574761 -

No, because "genie" is already a word.  Even if it wasn't a word, I'd still use my Englishtician skills to pronounce it like, "Scene".  I can't really explain it, it's just a 6th sense that fellow Englishticians possess.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Dawks]
    #16574765 -

Dawks said:
do they pronounce 'gene' as 'genie'?



Right? Or "jaynay"? :huxleyfacepalm:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Newbie]
    #16574772 -

Newbie said:
No, because "genie" is already a word.  Even if it wasn't a word, I'd still use my Englishtician skills to pronounce it like, "Scene".  I can't really explain it, it's just a 6th sense that fellow Englishticians possess.



Skee-nee.


--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Newbie]
    #16574788 -

Newbie said:
No, because "genie" is already a word.  Even if it wasn't a word, I'd still use my Englishtician skills to pronounce it like, "Scene".  I can't really explain it, it's just a 6th sense that fellow Englishticians possess.



I admit I struggled with it for a moment, I thought it might be pronounced "mem". (I was studying French at the time.) You've got to admit, it is a peculiar-looking neologism until you get used to it.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16574802 -

BlindSophist said:
Newbie said:
No, because "genie" is already a word.  Even if it wasn't a word, I'd still use my Englishtician skills to pronounce it like, "Scene".  I can't really explain it, it's just a 6th sense that fellow Englishticians possess.



I admit I struggled with it for a moment, I thought it might be pronounced "mem". (I was studying French at the time.) You've got to admit, it is a peculiar-looking neologism until you get used to it.



neo-whaty?


--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16574815 -



--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Newbie]
    #16574835 -

This dumbass thinks that Eleusis spells "Ulysses." And he's hosting an interview with an author. How pathetic.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Dawks]
    #16574845 -

I always thought it was pronounced meme, seeing as they follow a basic reptitive framework I figured the word would be the same. First time I heard it pronounced meem I almost facepalm'd

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16574854 -

Bodhi of Ankou said:
I always thought it was pronounced meme, seeing as they follow a basic reptitive framework I figured the word would be the same. First time I heard it pronounced meem I almost facepalm'd



Your sense of phonetics curdles my milk.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16574858 -

Bodhi of Ankou said:
I always thought it was pronounced meme



At first, I was like WHAT THE FUCK, why would you not explain how you are pronouncing it!!!

:zomgwtf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16574864 -

BlindSophist said:
Newbie said:
No, because "genie" is already a word.  Even if it wasn't a word, I'd still use my Englishtician skills to pronounce it like, "Scene".  I can't really explain it, it's just a 6th sense that fellow Englishticians possess.



I admit I struggled with it for a moment, I thought it might be pronounced "mem". (I was studying French at the time.) You've got to admit, it is a peculiar-looking neologism until you get used to it.




I pronounced it "mem" at first too.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16574877 -

I always pronounced it meem. Firstly because: gene; scene; supreme; hygiene; etc.

Secondly because it was coined by the British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in his book The Selfish Gene and modeled on the word gene.


--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Dawks]
    #16574910 -

I dont care what its supposed to be I will always read it and say it as "may may".  It just sounds better.  Me-me or Meem sound :tard:


--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So a few people I work with pronounce the word "meme" as "mee mee". [Re: Dawks]
    #16574911 -

I dont care for the finer mechanics of english along with all the wordsused to describe its subtleties. Im still gonna call them me-me's, Im a rebel  without a cause.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Memes ShroomyShroomers 654 6 11/25/09 05:19 PM
by Neuron
* Why don't people know how to fuckin' pronounce things?
( 1 2 all )
JH05 3,646 31 07/12/08 03:16 PM
by Mr. Mushrooms
* how do i pronounce this?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
amberella1989 2,934 89 08/26/11 07:54 AM
by Earth Child
* How would you pronounce "Michel" Irradiated_Feces 630 14 10/31/05 10:32 PM
by Jared
* The "funniest meme" thread
( 1 2 all )
Luc1d 3,609 22 04/25/11 12:17 AM
by Luc1d
* How do you pronounce mycelium?
( 1 2 3 all )
zeegos 4,757 40 07/30/06 08:59 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* How do you pronounce φ
( 1 2 all )
Coaster 2,736 23 10/06/09 12:42 PM
by Swyfty Swyf
* How do i pronounce this? Thread
( 1 2 all )
just me 3,759 21 08/24/08 09:06 PM
by just me

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,821 topic views. 7 members, 7 guests and 106 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.