Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: badchad]
    #16526478 -

Or just plug the data into a spreadsheet, then you have a Chart and Graph without any more work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526546 -

I'm thinking to do BA in Bio and BS in Comp Sci.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526558 -

architecture and geology might be good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526747 -

No foreign language requirement for Biology majors at my uni.
But I might have taken Spanish since we share the western hemisphere with over 300 million native Spanish speakers, with millions of those people immigrating to the US.
Or Mandarin, because speaking Mandarin all but guarantees you a job somewhere.  Especially with what the future holds with US-China relations.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16526880 -

ellway, Iay readyalay eakspay igpay atinlay osay itay ouldshay ebay anay easyay.

(Translated: I already speak Pig Latin so it should be an easy A)

:whoo:

Edited by teknix (07/13/12 05:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16528460 -

I do want to visit east asia eventually, starting with Japan, not because i'm one of those otaku kids, but after watching some dude called softypapa explore the outdoors of Japan, it looks amazingly gorgeous.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16529891 -

Maverick - Just curious as to what your background education is, or how long you've been out of school?

I am interested in the same majors, but have been out of school for 10 years and am extremely intimidated.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: PDU]
    #16530035 -

I've been out of school for 7-8 years.  I originally was in different levels of english and math (Much higher because of SAT/ACT scores), but once you're out of school for a long time you've got to take an accuplacer test which puts you in a level appropriate for your current level of knowledge.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16530381 -

What level are you at with regards to math?


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16530675 -

I recently (3 years ago) got a BS in Biology from a major research University in the US. The Biology dept. offered several different degrees, General Bio, Molecular/Cellular Bio, Conservation/Management(ecology basically) and Physiology. Each major had different upper level requirements which overlapped, sort of. I got the General degree as it allowed me to take a broader range of electives that counted towards my degree (for example, 2 courses in Mycology).

All of the degrees I mentioned have the same lower level requirements however. My school is on the quarter system so:
3 quarters of general Bio(at my school it went bio180/200/220+labs) They also offered 101; but that was for English majors and stuff. 3 quarters of general chem(140/141/142+labs). At least 2 quarters of Organic Chem(220/221); but most people did the majors sequence with labs as it was a qual. for any professional school and grad schools so (ochem237/238/239+labs). 3 quarters of Physics(120/121/122+labs), these were the algebra based Physics, you could take the Calc based Physics if you wanted. Math through the 2nd quarter of Calculus.
These were REQUIRED for any Biology degree.

On top of that you also need something like 75credits of gen ed classes, those are easy though. Get those done at a CC. We also had to do one year of foreign language even though I did 3 years in High School. Technically you can test out; but it had been awhile so I just took Norwegian(probably not an option at most Universities).

HTH

oh, if you like nature and shit I'd do Ecology with emphasis on animal physiology for electives.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Seahawk1]
    #16531149 -

Seahawk1 said:
I recently (3 years ago) got a BS in Biology from a major research University in the US. The Biology dept. offered several different degrees, General Bio, Molecular/Cellular Bio, Conservation/Management(ecology basically) and Physiology. Each major had different upper level requirements which overlapped, sort of. I got the General degree as it allowed me to take a broader range of electives that counted towards my degree (for example, 2 courses in Mycology).

All of the degrees I mentioned have the same lower level requirements however. My school is on the quarter system so:
3 quarters of general Bio(at my school it went bio180/200/220+labs) They also offered 101; but that was for English majors and stuff. 3 quarters of general chem(140/141/142+labs). At least 2 quarters of Organic Chem(220/221); but most people did the majors sequence with labs as it was a qual. for any professional school and grad schools so (ochem237/238/239+labs). 3 quarters of Physics(120/121/122+labs), these were the algebra based Physics, you could take the Calc based Physics if you wanted. Math through the 2nd quarter of Calculus.
These were REQUIRED for any Biology degree.

On top of that you also need something like 75credits of gen ed classes, those are easy though. Get those done at a CC. We also had to do one year of foreign language even though I did 3 years in High School. Technically you can test out; but it had been awhile so I just took Norwegian(probably not an option at most Universities).

HTH

oh, if you like nature and shit I'd do Ecology with emphasis on animal physiology for electives.



Are you working in a related field now?


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: PDU]
    #16533172 -

Biochemistry, so, no. I got a Bio degree and work in Biochem...not even close to what my "degree" was in.

Is that what you were going for?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Seahawk1]
    #16534472 -

I am not even upgrading my highschool yet ... so i am quite uncertain.

Field biology, ecology, or geology sound interesting in the broadest sense. I don't really know how to research actual job possibilities in these fields.

My father is a field biologist, although mostly works in the office these days.


--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* ?The Biology of Paradise.? Beautiful stuff LeastResistance 1,052 1 02/17/05 10:31 PM
by zenmunk
* classes start today: PPATH 425: Biology of Fungi wilshire 917 5 06/22/07 12:38 PM
by YidakiMan
* geography/geology majors! Gillette 866 9 11/29/05 08:19 AM
by Krishna
* is it worth my time to study chemistry/biology? DistortedEyes 1,686 18 04/04/06 04:09 PM
by Help on the Way
* Biological engineering... Herbus 750 5 05/27/06 03:39 PM
by Herbus
* Is Your Phone Out of Juice? Biological fuel cell turns drinks into power Psilocybeingzz 972 2 04/03/07 11:57 AM
by Boom
* 100 amazing science facts & factoids: which one amazes you most?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
AsanteM 8,670 71 02/07/10 01:51 PM
by Mr.Pink
* natural science ShroomismM 997 14 10/31/06 08:12 PM
by TheCow

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,985 topic views. 3 members, 22 guests and 79 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 17 queries.