Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
passiflora caerulea fruit babies!
    #16531729 -

i've been hand pollinating my passion vines and i started to see little fruits today. nothing new really, but i haven't grown them for many years, so it's pretty exciting for me. they'll turn orange by the end of summer and hopefully full of juice and ripe seeds. post pictures of your own passion flowers or fruit, any species wild or planted. i'm sure alan has taken some nice pictures in mexico.



Edited by passifloracaerulea (07/15/12 12:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16531791 -

how different is this from incarnata?

:thumbup: on the fruits.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: ferrel_human]
    #16531821 -

I was super stoked to see my first passion flowers about to bloom today, i'll post pics in a day or 2.


--------------------
My trade list ∞Ω Currently open to trades, I have lots of edible/medicinal seeds available.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: ferrel_human]
    #16532148 -

ferrel_human said:
how different is this from incarnata?

:thumbup: on the fruits.



totally different species. p.caerulea is native to south america. the fruit are edible, and taste similar to black raspberries or black caps. a hybrid cultivar was made of the two species p. x colvilii, but it hasn't become nearly as popular. you're most likely to encounter p.caerulea in a garden center, or one of it's cultivars or hybrids. i specifically bought three separate phenotypes of p.caerulea for making good fruit. if you only have one type, then the fruit will be sterile and hollow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16533680 -

i just woke up to find a rainy drizzle which brought out every slug hostile that's been hiding and stealthily eating on my vines. i think i counted 7 of the large breeding assholes. i will be slug free someday, or maybe i'll just start using slug bait.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16533813 -

I started noticing Passiflora growing wild in my area last year. I went picking Mushrooms a couple of weeks ago and it was growing all down the side of the tracks. It grows in the woods across the street from me.I am fairly sure I would have seen it before and it seems to be a new addition in these parts.  I had tried to dig them up and transplant with no success. the vine would just wither and die. However , there was still root in the pot and I noticed it had sent out quite a bit of vine.    It's really kewl how it sends out tendrils to search out something to grasp onto. It's almost like there is a brain controlling these tendrils :rolleyes: I took a stick and started rubbing it , it started to curl around the stick.  These tendrils even have shock absorbers ,if you look closely you'll see how they make a series of curls so as to stretch instead of break when stressed.  The small intricacies of nature always amaze me. The design is no accident.


--------------------
Texas Honey Badger said:
I went to boys town in Nuevo Laredo when I was in my early ‘30s
There was a bunch of trannys even way back then
I paid probably $20 but I was so drunk I couldn’t get a hard on:faded:
-Whenever you hear 5 blasts from the emergency horn that’s the signal for a 30 minute buttfucking break-      Fiery said:
I wish I was a young sexy woman so I could have awesome sexy adventures all the time[/quote]
split_by_nine said:
i did the man bun.[/quote]
1234go said:
I don't have a dog. I can't stand em...They're needy animals for needy people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Urb]
    #16534828 -

i could go into pages of passiflora botany and behavior in relation to ants and butterflies. it's one of my favorite subjects. that's cool you can notice some of these behaviors from simply watching the plants yourself. earthquake proof!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16536676 -

I also noticed some Incarnatas growing wild in my area last year, and like PCaerulea, I noticed what I have read about their symbiotic relationship with ants. The red ants around here (and many other places Ive read) literally weed plants from around the host Passaflora. Though, I'm not sure what kind of special relationship they have with butterflies that you speak of, care to elaborate? Also, What do you mean by earthquake proof?


--------------------
I'll make a sig later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Dr.Trich]
    #16536717 -

i was joking when i said earthquake proof...the nectar glands on the petioles and bracts of many species secrete the nectar which feeds some ant species, but also act as mimicing egg sacs of the heliconia butterflies. the butterflies get discouraged and won't lay as many eggs when the mimic nectaries are in sight. the plant needs the butterflies for pollination and the butterflies use the plant as a host while in larval form. the caterpillars can hurt a plant by vectoring diseases or can help a plant by stripping it of it's leaves when outbreaks of disease are spreading. there's alot more to the story and it becomes increasingly complicated when comparing species of all organisms involved.

oh, and with incarnata especially, always kill every cucumber beetle you can find. they'll drop to the ground when they see you coming. they will eat your entire flower crop and vector diseases.

Edited by passifloracaerulea (07/15/12 08:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16536735 -

I did not know that about the butterflies! I've seen the ants go and take sips while making their rounds, confirming what I've read. But that's awesome about the butterflies too!

Do they "allow" for more butterflies when plagued, so the larvae eat it off as well?


--------------------
I'll make a sig later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Dr.Trich]
    #16536770 -

this is not confirmed, but is something that seems clear to me, and would be favorable to the relationship. i was going to do a thesis on the subject once i got that far, but never finished even a bachelor.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16536812 -

Life grabs us all by the balls, I'm in a similar boat. We'll get there one day.

Thanks for the info bud!


--------------------
I'll make a sig later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Dr.Trich]
    #16536818 -

in my case it was a woman and life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16537013 -

I thought the wood boring bee species were supposedly a major pollinator for most species of Passiflora.


--------------------
Let's upgrade our security practices and move toward client-side PGP for encrypted PMs.
My Public PGP Key: hxxps://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24002249#24002249

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: naum]
    #16537208 -

bees are in the ant family.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16537364 -

passifloracaerulea said:
in my case it was a woman and life.



I hear ya. Similar here.


--------------------
I'll make a sig later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Dr.Trich]
    #16538943 -



This is the species growing wild here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Urb]
    #16538989 -

yeah that's p.incarnata. i don't see any cucumber beetle damage, but keep an eye out for those bastards. earwigs will eat the flowers too and hide inside the closed flowers during the day. hand pollinate with a fuzzy leaf, tuft of cat hair, or tiny paintbrush for best fruit quality flower to flower from separate plants. irrigation will give the fruit more juice. don't harvest fruit until it starts to wrinkle or a heavy frost is coming.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: passifloracaerulea]
    #16541163 -

I'm in the Gulf South ,  quite a ways from you.


--------------------
Texas Honey Badger said:
I went to boys town in Nuevo Laredo when I was in my early ‘30s
There was a bunch of trannys even way back then
I paid probably $20 but I was so drunk I couldn’t get a hard on:faded:
-Whenever you hear 5 blasts from the emergency horn that’s the signal for a 30 minute buttfucking break-      Fiery said:
I wish I was a young sexy woman so I could have awesome sexy adventures all the time[/quote]
split_by_nine said:
i did the man bun.[/quote]
1234go said:
I don't have a dog. I can't stand em...They're needy animals for needy people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: passiflora caerulea fruit babies! [Re: Urb]
    #16541200 -

yeah, we don't have any native species here, just the naturalized caerulea, incarnata, and lutea. these are the only 3 i know of that can for sure survive the winters here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Oh my goodness Passiflora Caerulea! fatalerror 4,016 17 09/20/05 01:33 PM
by pod3
* Passiflora incarnata
( 1 2 all )
Teotzlcoatl 5,056 30 07/10/07 02:12 PM
by Teotzlcoatl
* Passiflora Incarnata
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Acaterpillar 8,996 75 07/27/07 12:33 AM
by Acaterpillar
* baby cacti ? Baby_Hitler 2,083 11 09/03/02 06:28 PM
by 905
* Passiflora Incarnata satyr 1,316 8 06/03/08 03:06 PM
by satyr
* Growing Passiflora Caerula from seeds stefan 812 1 04/19/03 03:28 PM
by DazedSol
* Passiflora petiole nectar Taharka 636 1 10/28/05 04:32 PM
by pod3
* Passiflora incarnata, Ant Guardians, and the complexity of nature. Horticulture 1,488 7 06/14/09 11:34 PM
by kadakuda

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
2,560 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.