Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology?
    #16525624 -

Alright, I'm back in school, I start orientation on the 20th, and classes in a month after that.  But I'm still trying to figure out what science class to enroll in.

I'm pretty much starting from scratch, all the 101's and 120's and stuff.  I know I want to walk down a path in science, as I don't have any urge to run a business or do anything involving engineering (despite liking to work with hardware, I don't like fixing people's shit.)  So I'm trying to figure out if I should go into biology or environmental science.  Then there's also Geology.  I love studying natural disasters, but I don't know if I'd want to do that for a living.  I know I want to do field research and work that has me out hiking.  Maybe environmental followed by Ecology?  But won't I need to know biology as well?

Any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16525645 -

Environmental science and ecology will require biology.

I would go with biology and/or anything that requires biology. (I'm studying neuroscience.) The biotech industry has got a humdinger of a future in it. Geology certainly sounds interesting as well, but it doesn't open nearly as many doors as biology.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16525647 -

See if your school offers any comparative biology courses. They're a lot of work, but very rewarding. Took comparative invertebrate bio last fall, and still get a kick out of being able to tell people how this or that animal does it's thang. Planning on taking mosses and bryophytes, and fungi this semester.


--------------------
Tickle my bassline.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: fiddle]
    #16525672 -

Environmental Science 100 requires no prerequisites, but Geology has a prereq of having passed 120, so scratch Geology for this semester.  I'm sure future enviro/ecology classes will require biology though.  Hehe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16525732 -

In terms of actual job placement, these degrees will probably be entirely equivalent.  A BS in the basic sciences will (likely) have you working as a lab tech for a professor.  This can be done with almost any science background.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16525931 -

My suggestion would be to major in biology with a concentration in field & wildlife. I just got my degree in biology and took some of the field & wildlife classes. I wish I would have taken them early in my college career, because then I definitely would have chosen that as my concentration. 

A lot of the labs for those classes involved being outside, hiking and learning about all of the wildlife in my area.  For example, one class I took was herpetology (study of reptiles) and for many of the labs we got to go run around outside catching snakes and lizards.  If this is the stuff you like to do, then I would highly recommend it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: homesqueeze]
    #16526020 -

Yeah, Biology will apply as core science for pretty much whatever degree you decide to transfer into. Try to do the Biology Majors classes, because the 101's don't transfer as well for anything beyond associate and you will end up having to take them again later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: homesqueeze]
    #16526027 -

I think it's based more upon the classes you take rather than the actual degree itself. Therefore, you can major in any type of science and still land a lab job as long as you are knowledgeable in your interests (chem, bio, etc.) and competent in the lab. Currently I'm an Environmental Studies major with a natural science concentration. Pretty sure as long as I graduate with a strong science background I can do what I wish. My friend, who graduated with a BA in Chem, told me most jobs look at what classes you took right from college, rather than the heading they fall under. Basically I'll be taking gen chem, botany, a digital mapping course, and a few other gen ed courses. I've already taken gen bio and ecology

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16526028 -

BlindSophist said:
Environmental science and ecology will require biology.

I would go with biology and/or anything that requires biology. (I'm studying neuroscience.) The biotech industry has got a humdinger of a future in it. Geology certainly sounds interesting as well, but it doesn't open nearly as many doors as biology.



This is solid advice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: SoreSpore]
    #16526057 -

Also you will likely need a year of university foreign language if you are going beyond associate.

It also depends a bit on aptitude, if you struggle in any of the intro classes, then you probably don't want to do the Majors, because they are generally about twice as hard and more in depth. It would be better to get a simple associate degree then to fail out and get nothing (imo).

Edited by teknix (07/13/12 03:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526088 -

I'm at the end of a Biology degree and the bulk of my upper level classes have involved environmental sciences like ecology, animal biology, animal behavior, etc.  My comparative anatomy of vertebrates class was especially interesting as it involved all the high points of neat things like taxonomy, anatomy, physiology, genetics, and evolution all rolled into one.  I recommend a class like this highly to really bring together all of your other classes.

I say declare Biology now, and start on all of your core classes.  Compare all the majors you could choose and what classes you'll need and figure out all the classes they have in common and take those.  By the time you've done all that you'll probably be a sophomore or junior and should have a very clear idea of what avenue you wanna take with your Biology studies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16526116 -

Did you dodge the Maths ablt? (regretfully?)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526127 -

Maths can't really be dodged in science majors.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16526159 -

I'm signed up for Japanese (Because fuck spanish), so that should suffice for foreign languages.  Leaning towards biology, though still wondering about environmental science.  biology might be more interesting to me though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16526162 -

Yeah well, For Microbio I need 10 more math Creds then for Biology, so it sorta depends. Biology can get around a bunch of the Math, not to say all of it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: Maverick]
    #16526172 -

Maverick said:
I'm signed up for Japanese (Because fuck spanish), so that should suffice for foreign languages.  Leaning towards biology, though still wondering about environmental science.  biology might be more interesting to me though.



Environmental science and biology aren't mutually exclusive.

I took some EVS classes before I enrolled in hard sciences, and they were mostly about grant-writing and watershed management. Interesting stuff, but not self-sufficient for a career. A grounding in biology will feed into a career of ecology or environmental science.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526199 -

The highest math class I've had to take is Calculus, but then again I can't really say that because Chemistry and Physics are math classes in disguise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16526205 -

abltsandwich said:
The highest math class I've had to take was Calculus, but then again I can't really say that because Chemistry and Physics are math classes in disguise.



:ninja:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: abltsandwich]
    #16526415 -

abltsandwich said:
The highest math class I've had to take is Calculus, but then again I can't really say that because Chemistry and Physics are math classes in disguise.



Haha, true enough.

What foreign language did you take? I'm going for Latin I think.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Biology or Environmental science.... Or Geology? [Re: teknix]
    #16526431 -

teknix said:
Yeah well, For Microbio I need 10 more math Creds then for Biology, so it sorta depends. Biology can get around a bunch of the Math, not to say all of it.



In reality, you can get away with basic level stats and then hire a statistician.  This obviously depends on how complex your analyses need to be though.  I'm surprised about the foreign language requirement, that's kind of ridiculous.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* ?The Biology of Paradise.? Beautiful stuff LeastResistance 1,052 1 02/17/05 10:31 PM
by zenmunk
* classes start today: PPATH 425: Biology of Fungi wilshire 917 5 06/22/07 12:38 PM
by YidakiMan
* geography/geology majors! Gillette 866 9 11/29/05 08:19 AM
by Krishna
* is it worth my time to study chemistry/biology? DistortedEyes 1,686 18 04/04/06 04:09 PM
by Help on the Way
* Biological engineering... Herbus 750 5 05/27/06 03:39 PM
by Herbus
* Is Your Phone Out of Juice? Biological fuel cell turns drinks into power Psilocybeingzz 972 2 04/03/07 11:57 AM
by Boom
* 100 amazing science facts & factoids: which one amazes you most?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
AsanteM 8,670 71 02/07/10 01:51 PM
by Mr.Pink
* natural science ShroomismM 997 14 10/31/06 08:12 PM
by TheCow

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,985 topic views. 3 members, 18 guests and 84 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.