Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Transferring files without a Flashdrive?
    #16331810 -

Hey im trying to transfer files from my pc to my laptop basically its a old emachines windows xp desktop I want to transfer files from it to a Dell mini inspiron netbook.

basically I want to transfer all my music and movies (like 60 gigs of crap) without having to buy a expensive ass flashdrive I was thinking this is what I might need to get to make it easier and cheaper...
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-USB-File-Transfer-Device/dp/B002VFFA5M/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338846523&sr=1-4



However Im sure I can find one cheaper then this can anyone find one out for me cheaper then 13.99$?

and will this work?

thanks a lot doooods.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: Razzlesnaps] * 1
    #16332026 -

How about over ethernet?  Thats what I would use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16332105 -

I can transfer files using a ethernet cable? how? or do you mean online transferring?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: Razzlesnaps] * 1
    #16332119 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16333313 -

Diecommie is on to something here. If you have Windows 7 Home Premium or better you can setup a home group and just send the files that way. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/homegroup-from-start-to-finish?T1=tab01

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: cokane]
    #16334875 -

yeah, if you got these computers on your network, then network them.

Ah, I can't see your original post, if you're transferring from the laptop to the desktop, you can plug the hard drive (do remember when touching any electronics to earth yourself. Hold onto the side of your computer case, no, not the laptop, it's plastic and has no earth return, wrap a wire around a radiator on the exposed metal or make/buy an earth plug) into the other computer, then just drag and drop whatever files you want from one hard drive to another. That's the fastest way of file transfer, very good if you have 100+gb of things that need shifting.


--------------------

Edited by Visionary Tools (06/05/12 07:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: Razzlesnaps]
    #16363840 -

If you get a dropbox account you can just put your files into a folder and it will show up on your other computer.  It is free.

http://db.tt/0pGx0zi


--------------------
Seraphically Free

From Taint of Personality


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: bourgeo]
    #16364379 -

You could transfer them over the network like others have mentioned using a ftp program, makes it easier if you dont know how do set up a homegroup.

google: filezilla

just drag and drop from computer to computer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: re_search]
    #16364569 -

if you have no idea what ethernet is, i'd go with the usb... otherwise ask the computer guy at the shop


--------------------
Perth, WA - hit us up ;-)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16365194 -

DieCommie said:
How about over ethernet?  Thats what I would use.



if he thinks a flash drive is expensive, he might also think a router is expensive. Only other way to do file transfers from one pc to another through ethernet, is with two network interface cards in each computer, and two ether net cables. Well, then again, if you create a home group, I guess you could do a one way transfer, but don't you need a crossed over cable instead of a straight through? How do you know which computer will accept files and which one will send files?

http://www.tp-smith.co.uk/a5/images/large/ethernet.jpg

http://joncamfield.com/oss/schooltools/Reference/EthernetCabling.htm


--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: re_search]
    #16365224 -

re_search said:
You could transfer them over the network like others have mentioned using a ftp program, makes it easier if you dont know how do set up a homegroup.

google: filezilla

just drag and drop from computer to computer.



you are assuming over the internet? This would be even more complex, requiring two computers in two completely seperate areas, each with an i.s.p. modem router, possibly needing to log in and obtain a public i.p. address. Why not describe how to set up a vlan while we are at it? :lol:

(p.s. note to OP, when you transfer files after setting up the homegroup:
http://lifehacker.com/5883517/how-to-set-up-windows-7-homegroups-for-seamless-instant-sharing-between-pcs-in-your-home
, make sure you share the files on the hard drive, and each subsequent folder you want to share files, and give open permissions to the user you are sharing files, I'll assume administrator in which case you'll have full permissions already. Otherwise it'll say you don't have access to that folder when you try to connect to the other computer via i.p. address or the computer name from start -> run or from the web browser

btw I got a 20gb flash drive one time for $35, and got a 250gb Seagate external drive for $79, and then someone told me I paid too much, and that they got it for much less. Do you really feel like that's too expensive? If you don't even know what an ethernet is this process might be too complicated for you :lol:

not that it's complicated that much, just that without even knowing what ethernet is, it's hard to believe you'll go through with the rest of it. Question 1) Are you hard wired to the internet or are you connected wirelessly? (whoops, I'm replying to Xtra Lame, the OP didn't ask that question)


--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Edited by imachavel (06/11/12 10:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: imachavel]
    #16365481 -

You can create a crossover cable switching pins 1 and 2 and 3 and 6. Then just plug that into the NIC of each device and you are off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: SoreSpore] * 1
    #16365492 -

Many/most NICs auto detect crossover cables and compensate.  You just need to play with settings, no new cable creation is needed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16367224 -

interesting


--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: imachavel]
    #16369169 -

imachavel said:
re_search said:
You could transfer them over the network like others have mentioned using a ftp program, makes it easier if you dont know how do set up a homegroup.

google: filezilla

just drag and drop from computer to computer.



you are assuming over the internet? This would be even more complex, requiring two computers in two completely seperate areas, each with an i.s.p. modem router, possibly needing to log in and obtain a public i.p. address. Why not describe how to set up a vlan while we are at it? :lol:

(p.s. note to OP, when you transfer files after setting up the homegroup:
http://lifehacker.com/5883517/how-to-set-up-windows-7-homegroups-for-seamless-instant-sharing-between-pcs-in-your-home
, make sure you share the files on the hard drive, and each subsequent folder you want to share files, and give open permissions to the user you are sharing files, I'll assume administrator in which case you'll have full permissions already. Otherwise it'll say you don't have access to that folder when you try to connect to the other computer via i.p. address or the computer name from start -> run or from the web browser

btw I got a 20gb flash drive one time for $35, and got a 250gb Seagate external drive for $79, and then someone told me I paid too much, and that they got it for much less. Do you really feel like that's too expensive? If you don't even know what an ethernet is this process might be too complicated for you :lol:

not that it's complicated that much, just that without even knowing what ethernet is, it's hard to believe you'll go through with the rest of it. Question 1) Are you hard wired to the internet or are you connected wirelessly? (whoops, I'm replying to Xtra Lame, the OP didn't ask that question)



No I assume they are both in the same house.
You only require 1 modem running through the same network or modem/router and sending them through that way, I find it alot faster than the windows method getting a faster transfer speed, which is great when im tranfering hundreds of gigs to my xbox or playstation harddrive at once. really easy, can be connected 1 computer ethernet and 1 computer wireless or both wireless/ethernet no need to obtain anything except the ip addresses of each computer so they can connect to each other, they are usually within the same ip range, the last digit being 1 above the previous (127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2). Practically transferring the same way you did but through windows - has horrible transfer speeds. can be used to transfer to multiple computers or devices with no loss of speed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: re_search]
    #16371254 -

ok, I didn't realize you called that transferring over the internet just because the i.s.p. modem is in the same house, considering they both use the d.n.s. address, I would have thought you'd call that a lan, using the same modem router and everything. I guess if it's ftp'd, and you find a public i.p. address and what not, and it goes over(what is ftp anyway, port 21?), then yes of course that would be going over the internet.

Seems kind of useless to me, to go all the way through a server on the internet, instead of just file sharing over the line via a work group and or the i.p. of each computer. Can't you ftp through the LAN as well? Does ftp give you faster file transfers? Never got deep into ports and the transfer protocol differences


--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Transferring files without a Flashdrive? [Re: imachavel]
    #16374779 -

Sorry bro, I may be a bit weird with my wording :P
As far as I know and from personal experience windows transfer speeds an average of 50 - 100 mb/s rarely have I seen it go above 200.

FTP transfer speed limit is the limit of the internet connection, so having gigabit Ethernet would be 10X faster - fibre obtic, even more.

You can run through a server on the internet and so on but you can transfer files simpler connecting each computer directly to each other through ftp - just like the homegroup does, but I think this varies depending on the program you use some are server/clients and some just clients or servers.

I never have to stuff around with DNS address or anything although I can, I did a lot of that stuff in networking. I actually find it easier than setting up a homegroup and I dont use filezilla i recommended it as I heard its okay with n00bs.

1. download filezilla on each computer
2. get ip address of device wanting to transfer to
3. enter ip in filezilla and start connection.
4. drag and drop the files you want and they will transfer?

I find this not to hard to complete maybe not as easy if new to this kind of stuff like the OP might be but, yes, your way is more convenient I suppose and n00b friendly.

I like speed, and can not be assed when windows says time remaining: 21 hours :smile:

FTP is on port 21, did/do you study I.T? what field? prog? :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Transfering files from my PC to laptop & harddisk questions Ego Death 1,678 11 04/05/07 03:47 PM
by Frosty_Storm
* transferring files between two computers Vats of Blood 819 8 06/07/04 11:08 AM
by Vats of Blood
* linux dual boot transfer files b/w?? the man 1,350 16 06/28/08 12:42 AM
by zouden
* how do i network 2 computers to transfer files using cat5???? agoutihead 1,346 16 02/05/07 05:24 PM
by Krishna
* File Transfer Idiot 538 3 10/18/06 10:14 AM
by Seuss
* Sending large files through email ShroomismM 1,965 11 11/29/03 04:48 AM
by Anonymous
* Is There A Free Server For Transfering/Uploading Files Over 3Megabytes? runnerup 777 4 01/21/05 02:41 PM
by John
* Sending large files over the internet DieCommie 840 10 03/30/08 09:22 PM
by iateshaggy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
1,812 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.