Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Police to offer drug test kits to parents
    #1629047 - 06/12/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.lsj.com/news/local/030611_drugtest_1b-4b.html

Published 6/11/2003
Police to offer drug test kits to parents

By Kara Richardson
Lansing State Journal

Lansing police will provide mid-Michigan parents with drug tests they can give to their children.

Sgt. Linda Doherty-Wright will provide the kits through a statewide early intervention program called Law Enforcement Against Drugs.

"Nobody wants to think that their kid is using (drugs) but there's so much more peer pressure out there and drugs are more readily accessible nowadays," Doherty-Wright said.

"Kids just make some bad choices sometimes."

The urine tests can screen for drugs including cocaine, marijuana, Ecstasy, methamphetamine, morphine and PCP.

There is a separate test for alcohol.

The tests, which provide readings within minutes, are free for the next 30 days. After that, they are $3 or $12, depending on the test.

Doherty-Wright ordered 200 of the tests and can get more on a day's notice.

She said it can cost as much as $100 to take a child to the doctor's office for a test.

Each kit comes with a brochure describing common traits and symptoms of drug and alcohol abuse.

Doherty-Wright also provides a list of local agencies that handle juvenile substance abuse issues. LEAD created a hotline to help parents interpret the tests.

The tests aren't an enforcement tool, Doherty-Wright said.

"We're not trying to bust kids for drugs, we're just trying to get them the help they need," she said.

"It gives them a starting point once they discover there's a problem."

Kids abusing drugs often start getting bad grades, stop going to school and eventually have behavioral problems that include getting into crime, Doherty-Wright said.

Dave Prichard, creator of LEAD, said more than 50 percent of children have used an illegal drug by the time they leave high school.

"The greatest challenge, experts believe, is helping parents understand that they have a tremendous influence on their children's decisions related to drug abuse," Prichard said.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Police to offer drug test kits to parents [Re: motaman]
    #1629486 - 06/12/03 07:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm all for parents drug testing their kids.

People have been using the "Protecting the Children"? arguement for far too long now. It's the parent's job to protect their own children. If they don't want their kids using drugs, then they need to take the initiative and test their own damn kids, and stop throwing innocent people in jail just to teach their children a lesson.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Police to offer drug test kits to parents [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1630746 - 06/13/03 08:48 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I'm all for parents drug testing their kids.

If parents are doing their job, then there is no reason or need to test their children. Parents that hire the television to raise their children for them are the ones that will have problems. I am 100% against children doing drugs, but I don't think random drug testing in the home is the way to keep children clean. Maybe the police should give out instruction manuals on how to be a parent instead of introducing police state tactics into the home.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1635932 - 06/15/03 11:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"We're not trying to bust kids for drugs, we're just trying to get them the help they need," she said.

Or really? Then why are thousands of kids thrown in jail for possesion of drugs? Sounds like the hypocrite police are busting them to me, these drugs test are just a way for the parents to do the cops' work, I'll bet they'll make it mandatory to report the results if this idea picks up.

Anonymous

#1636296 - 06/16/03 02:02 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"Kids abusing drugs often start getting bad grades, stop going to school and eventually have behavioral problems that include getting into crime, Doherty-Wright said.

Dave Prichard, creator of LEAD, said more than 50 percent of children have used an illegal drug by the time they leave high school."

if these were both true, and the doherty-wright definition of 'often' means at least 1 in 4, then 1 in 8 kids is getting bad grades, dropping out, having behavioral problems, and getting into crime as a result of their drug use.

haha. our grandchildren are going to think we were all crazy (i hope).

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service