Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
U.S. Plans Breathalyzer-Like Drug Test for Drivers
    #1067473 - 11/19/02 08:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

From Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Roadside drug tests modeled after
                      breathalyzers are nearly ready for use in the United States, helping police
                      identify drivers impaired by illegal substances, officials said on Tuesday.

National Drug Control Policy Director John Walters said the cheap,
                      on-the-spot tests would hasten the arrest of those driving under the influence
                      of illegal drugs like marijuana or cocaine, as well as alcohol.

"Soon officers will have the ability to positively identify someone who is
                      endangering others' lives on the road," he told a news briefing at the National
                      Drug Control Policy office. "This is not something we are powerless to do
                      something about."

Walters said the drug tests were in the last stages of trials, but he declined
                      to say when the new devices would be deployed. Similar technology has
                      also been used in pilot tests in Britain and continental Europe.

Critics of America's so-called "war on drugs" said the new tests could spur
                      an abuse of power by authorities aiming to crack down on recreational drug
                      users.

"The way I understand it, if you have any evidence of the drug in your
                      system you are presumed to be the equivalent of a drunk driver," said Ethan
                      Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance in Washington.

"We're not talking about a three or four hour window. A urine or blood test
                      could show marijuana if you smoked a joint 10 days ago."

While he backed the campaign against impaired driving, Nadelmann said
                      roadside drug tests would require lawmakers to agree on a minimum
                      intoxication level, below which individuals would be free to go.

"Treat marijuana and other drugs the way we treat alcohol. Test for real
                      impairment. Test for whether people are under the influence," he said.

Nevada resident Gary Thompson, whose wife Sandy was killed at a stoplight
                      by a driver high on marijuana, said strict tests were needed to curb the
                      social acceptability of drugged driving, particularly among young people.

"We don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, but we do
                      care what they do on our roads," he told the news briefing.

"We have to make it possible to prosecute violators after innocent people
                      die." 

This appears to be a bad thing for people who smoke and drive, but on the other hand people like G. Gordon Liddy who think marijuana should be illegal simply because "there isn't a way to test people who drive while under the influence of marijuana" will need to have another excuse for locking up 700,000 people per year for pot.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021119/hl_nm/drug_test_dc_1

So this is good and bad for us.

Edited by Learyfan (10/28/17 09:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Re: U.S. Plans Breathalyzer-Like Drug Test for Drivers [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #1072499 - 11/21/02 01:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well this is kind of a bummer. I hear they are having similar trials in Australia. Luckily I'm in NZ so such tests are likely a couple of years away (we're always behind)...I guess it is a good thing to keep the road safe, as I do believe that driving while incredibly stoned can be difficult and potentiall dangerous...however I do quite like to drive somewhere after getting a little bit stoned, for instance if I feel like going to a nice location for a session; an easily accessible hilltop, or a nice park area a bit out of town, I hang around for a while then drive home...it is enjoyable, with some tunes on, and I honestly don't think that my driving skills are impaired AT ALL while just a little stoned. I'm not going to go as far as sayin that they are improved, but definatley not impaired. So I guess I agree with the dude saying there should be a minimum level...that would be good.
Oh and on a side note, I think that having music playing in your car while driving is probably worse for your driving than being stoned. Or talking on a cellphone, or smoking a cigarette (I regularly get pissed off at drivers, when I see them nearly crash into me while turning, then I see that it is because they are doing one of these activities...)
Ok, so once again I am rambling....the night is ripe for rambling...:P

OfflineAHTKING
Stranger
Re: U.S. Plans Breathalyzer-Like Drug Test for Drivers [Re: Peace_Patrol] * 3
    #24742669 - 10/28/17 03:15 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Man if they cant narrow it down to hours it will be utter bullshit. I may have done coke Saturday night, how the fuck can you say 2im impaired Monday morning? And potheads get it worse cuz it takes a whole month to get out of yor system. This shit will get taken to the supreme court for sure. Unconstitutional. Legalize all drugs now

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: U.S. Plans Breathalyzer-Like Drug Test for Drivers [Re: AHTKING]
    #24743094 - 10/28/17 10:13 AM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Well said!

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder