Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Vegetarian recipes and tips
    #15865535 -

Last night was my first night of being vegetarian, and I'm very excited. I'm doing this for a couple reasons, but mainly because I often feel very fatigued through out the day, and I think a big part of that has been my diet. I'm gonna do this at first for a couple weeks, and see if I like it, but I'm worried because I have little time to cook and I'm terribly lazy.

So my question is, do you have any simple and quick vegetarian recipes that you enjoy? Preferably something I can make a lot of and pack up for lunch. And better yet, ingredients that I should have in the kitchen to cook with? I've only lived on my own now for about 6 months, so I'm just getting used to it, but I still don't know what to shop for. Thanks for any input!


--------------------
DISCLAIMER: None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor :alientransform: and Ferdinand :cigar:, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: BoldAsLove]
    #15865543 -

Wow, i can't go a day without eating meet, makes me sick without it.

For vegies i just like to put  a couple different kinds of peppers and lettuce on some sub bread with cheese. Not much of a recipe but it's simple and tastes good.


--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: King Klick]
    #15865559 -

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy many meatless meals. 
Do you have a crockpot? Those come in handy for making tasty meals, since you don't need to be constantly monitoring it.  I tend to do a lot
of tofu stir fries, mixing up the different vegetables and sauces that I
use. If you're going to forgo the nutritional aspects of flesh, you'll
need to make sure you're getting adequate nutrients.  Not that that's very difficult, but it is an important precaution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: facepockets]
    #15865586 -

A crockpot sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it, thanks. And don't worry, I've looked into it and I'm gonna make sure to drink protein shakes, eat lots of nuts, and get lots of iron. I'm a distance runner, so I'm going to be closely monitoring it to avoid any issues.


--------------------
DISCLAIMER: None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor :alientransform: and Ferdinand :cigar:, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: BoldAsLove]
    #15865783 -



--------------------
:alert: Any personal or non-personal information related by myself to anyone on this site is beyond doubt, 100% fictional and should not be taken as truth :alert:

    :psychsplit:Keep on Goan:psychsplit:
*BOOM*www.psychedelik.com*BOOM*
I still need to try PCP :trippinballs:

:vegan:

Edited by PsillySighBen (02/26/12 11:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: PsillySighBen]
    #15865910 -

PsillySighBen said:
I've been vegan for 7 years, 2 years vegetarian before that, this site is still my #1 resource

:thumbup::heart::earth::heart::thumbup::bongload:

:vegan:


**fixed the link



Thank you!! There is so much there! :thumbup:


--------------------
DISCLAIMER: None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor :alientransform: and Ferdinand :cigar:, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: BoldAsLove]
    #15865969 -

One of my absolute favorite recipes is a portabella burger. 

    7 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    2 red peppers, grilled, seeds removed
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper, or to taste
    1 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
    1 tablespoon pepper, or to taste
    7 portabella mushroom caps, stems removed
    7 sourdough rolls, split in 1/2
    2 cups spring mix greens

Directions

Preheat the grill 350 degrees F.

In a medium sized bowl, gently toss together the tomatoes, onion, peppers, feta, vinegar, cracked black pepper, to taste, and oregano. Set aside.

In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste. Brush the portabella caps with the oil on and put them on the grill. Grill until tender, about 3 minutes on each side

Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the tomato mixture onto the bottom halves of the rolls, top each with some spring mix greens and a portabella cap. Cover with the top halves of the rolls and serve.



Even if you only want to make one or two burgers, the "relish" stuff you prepare is great on anything from sandwiches to pasta.  I make it all the time, even when I'm not making burgers.  I also add some jamaican jerk seasoning to the oil mixture that I brush onto the mushrooms.


There are just so many things you can do though.  For breakfast every morning I fry up some ginger, garlic, onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper up, then add some fresh sage and some turmeric and annato, then add a tiny bit of rum to deglaze, and then put it all on top of a toasted everything bagel with some gouda cheese and fresh spinach.  Tastiest breakfast you'll ever have, and very well balanced.

I eat spinach or kale every single day.  I crave it desperately on the days I don't.  I think it's the iron that I need.  And my main protein source is from mushrooms, but as long as you're eating some nuts and beans and brown rice every once in a while, you'll easily get your complete proteins.  And if you don't mind eating cheese, it's a wonderful way to make sure you get all the amino acids.

Tempeh makes my favorite bacon substitute.  Marinade it overnight in some sesame oil and whatever spices you want.  and then fry it in thin bacon-like slices.  It gets nice and crispy and brown on the outside, and has a delicious nutty flavor.

But until you start learning how to make all this wonderful food yourself, the fake meat you buy in the grocery stores are great to get you started until you properly hone your vegetarian cooking skills.  They're really just a temporary fix though, because they're fairly expensive and too much soy might cause a problem for you if you're male.  I recommend gardein brand over the morningstar or boca or whatnot.  Gardien is amazing, and I still eat it on occasion when I don't feel like making a home-cooked meal.

I wish you the best!


--------------------
Put America to sleep with warm milk and clichés.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: BoldAsLove]
    #15866346 -

BoldAsLove said:
PsillySighBen said:
I've been vegan for 7 years, 2 years vegetarian before that, this site is still my #1 resource

:thumbup::heart::earth::heart::thumbup::bongload:

:vegan:


**fixed the link



Thank you!! There is so much there! :thumbup:



No problem glad to have helped!  :mjdance:

The vegan/vegetarian diet is absolutely full of possibilities. 

For me its one other way of practicing creativity.  Listen closely to your body biology, it will tell you all you need to know!


--------------------
:alert: Any personal or non-personal information related by myself to anyone on this site is beyond doubt, 100% fictional and should not be taken as truth :alert:

    :psychsplit:Keep on Goan:psychsplit:
*BOOM*www.psychedelik.com*BOOM*
I still need to try PCP :trippinballs:

:vegan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: PsillySighBen]
    #15872782 -

grill up some egg plant, zucchini and red onion, with balsamic vinegar, and cheese, and have it with hummus in bread :]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: PsillySighBen]
    #15873565 -

PsillySighBen said:
I've been vegan for 7 years, 2 years vegetarian before that, this site is still my #1 resource

:thumbup::heart::earth::heart::thumbup::bongload:

:vegan:


**fixed the link



Dude I just clicked that link and I swear to god it came up with a bunch of code-ish type text, then I got redirected to another site and couldn't X out and now I have a virus..  How the hell did that happen?  Other people seem to have got to the website just fine?? 

I mean I'm in NO way accusing you of doing that but I just don't see how that happened!  It's a horrible virus too, I've had it before and it took me forever to get rid of it last time!  I got it the same way last time too from a harmless site and it somehow downloaded without my permission!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: Midnight_Toker]
    #15874123 -

Midnight_Toker said:
PsillySighBen said:
I've been vegan for 7 years, 2 years vegetarian before that, this site is still my #1 resource

:thumbup::heart::earth::heart::thumbup::bongload:

:vegan:


**fixed the link



Dude I just clicked that link and I swear to god it came up with a bunch of code-ish type text, then I got redirected to another site and couldn't X out and now I have a virus..  How the hell did that happen?  Other people seem to have got to the website just fine?? 

I mean I'm in NO way accusing you of doing that but I just don't see how that happened!  It's a horrible virus too, I've had it before and it took me forever to get rid of it last time!  I got it the same way last time too from a harmless site and it somehow downloaded without my permission!



Interesting. The first time I visited the site it was great, now when I try my computer gives me a phishing warning. That sucks that you have the virus on your computer, I hope you can get rid of it okay. I'm gonna run a scan of my mac now and make sure its clean. I wonder how that site changed so fast...


--------------------
DISCLAIMER: None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor :alientransform: and Ferdinand :cigar:, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: BoldAsLove]
    #15927206 -

I too am in the process of becoming a vegetarian for my well-being and conscious haha. I often feel sick and sluggish when I eat meat. I'm way to lazy to cook healthy meals daily, so I just throw some things I have in my kitchen together. I have lots of vegetables, beans, whole grains like rice or noodles, and spices!

For one of the meals, boil some noodles or pasta, preferably whole wheat. Open any kind of canned beans (dry beans have less preservatives, but isn't as quick and easy lol) and rinse them. I personally like to add kidney beans, chick peas and pinto beans. Once the noodles have finished cooking, just add the beans to it! Maybe cut up some celery pieces and onion too for a little more taste. I usually add some balsamic vinaigrette or oil and vinegar too, because it can be very dry.

My second so called recipe i often make is super simple too:
Boil rice. Wild rice, brown rice and basmati are pretty healthy, yummy choices. Cut up any vegetables you'd like, in pieces big enough to pick up with your fork. I usually use peppers, onions, zucchini, spinach or broccoli. Steam the vegetables in a pan on low heat, just adding a little water. Cut up chunks of tofu, maybe 1 cup worth, and add it to the pan. Once the rice has finished, add in the vegetables and tofu. Add soy sauce or any other kind of sauce you'd like.

Lol hopefully this post helps you out. Being a vegetarian isn't the easiest thing to do, but you'll probably feel a lot healthier and happier while doing so. Good luck! :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: livelovelaugh]
    #15928827 -

My breakfast smoothie every day (vegetarian, but lots of animal products still)

3 eggs
500g yogurt
50g hemp seed
20g Chia seed
40g Pumpkin seed
2 very ripe banana
frozen blueberries/raspberries

If you are becoming vegetarian for health/eco reasons, it is actually much healthier and eco-friendly to go locavore.  The problem with meat is the animals were unhealthy when they lived (factory farms) and that makes them unhealthy to eat.  I try to source local grass fed animal products (meat, eggs, yogurt, cheese) and always feel great from them.  When I eat meat from the supermarket it tastes terrible and makes me feel bad too.

I just want to say that grains, beans, legumes, rice etc all are not evolutionarily human foods.  These are mostly empty carbs and anti-nutrients which stop absorbtion of minerals.  Your health will be much better off in the long run eating local pastured animal products (can just be dairy and eggs, meat not necessary, but better imo since some cannot handle dairy) and fresh produce than eating rice and grains (bread/pasta included).

It takes 10+ calories of oil energy to produce that 1 calorie of bread.  Much better for the environment to find local tubers to eat for carbs; parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips etc.

I just wanted to put a different perspective here.  I go through meat and meatless phases.  One week I'll go to the butcher and stock up, and the next will be almost vegetarian.

Just want to point out, that any type of eating should try to minimize any damage to the ecosystem/earth as a whole.  If you eat lots of grains and soy from giant monocrops to get around meat, well you're not helping anything.  ALL farming kills animals, it displaces them from the natural habitat and they are killed in the harvest process, etc.  Furthermore, the giant amount of chemical imputs are destroying life in our ecosystems.  Vegetarians seem to think the life of mammals is more important than the rest of the life on earth.  It is our duty to protect the diversity of all life on the planet, from archea bacteria to the highest mammals.

This said, the most efficient and least damaging farming systems are always local biodynamic farms which use animals and plants together (how farming is supposed to be).  Animals eat plant scraps people don't, and fertilize the crops in turn.  Chickens eat pests in fields rather than using pesticides, and the eggs taste better from it.

Hundreds of thousands of children die or go blind every year because of vitamin A defciency.  They are deficient because they cannot get any animal sources of vitamin A.  So my first recommendation is eat eggs regularly and cook veggies in butter.  Fermented cod liver oil is a great supplement for everyone, but vegetarians especially.

As for more recipes, SALADS!

You want fresh veggies/nuts, this is where the healthiness is.
All sort of veggies, lots of nuts and seeds (walnuts, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds).  Dulse is important to get iodine if you dont eat seafood much.  Nice vinegar and real olive oil for dressing(lots of fake olive oil is sold, it should be a deep green colour, not yellow, and if you put it in the fridge should solidify completely into a single block like butter or lard would. if it stays liquid it has been cut with lesser oils like sunflower or canola).

The vegetarian issue is much more complex than most realize.  My main point here, is that if you are replacing the calories from meat with grains, rice etc you are not doing yourself a favor.

Find a farmer to supply your food, you will feel much better regardless of what you're eating.  You will only get local things from them, and be much more in tune with your environment.


--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vegetarian recipes and tips [Re: PsillySighBen]
    #15931379 -

PsillySighBen said:
I've been vegan for 7 years, 2 years vegetarian before that, this site is still my #1 resource

:thumbup::heart::earth::heart::thumbup::bongload:

:vegan:


**fixed the link



Thank you for this!  I found an awesome vegan mac 'n cheese recipe in there that I'm going to be using for a longgggg time



--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong."

Francois-Marie Arouet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Becoming a vegetarian (dietary advice)
( 1 2 all )
EllisDSox 2,897 30 07/06/07 02:23 PM
by serendipitythenot
* Vegetarian and SATIETY freddurgan 1,196 10 06/02/07 01:44 PM
by Amber_Glow
* Vegetarian and increasing muscle mass
( 1 2 3 all )
freddurgan 4,809 43 06/09/07 01:02 PM
by Sterile
* Myths about vegan and vegetarian diets
( 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 all )
Veritas 24,419 249 02/25/08 06:12 PM
by PyroBurns
* Vegetarianism, Ostriches... Kalix 815 10 05/24/05 12:25 PM
by Kalix
* got salmonella, turning vegetarian tak 786 4 07/18/05 11:14 AM
by tak
* Way too much sensation in the tip of my penis during orgasm
( 1 2 all )
freddurgan 12,463 21 10/08/06 08:37 PM
by freddurgan
* Some tips on how to deal or "cure" a depression on your own... Brakkie 1,026 6 01/02/06 03:58 PM
by browndustin

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
777 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 15 queries.