Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but...
    #15630614 -

I realized It has no DVI.  Only VGA.  Should I take it back?  Or will VGA be fine?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+21.5%26%2334%3B+Widescreen+LED+Monitor/3698584.p?id=1218428665850&skuId=3698584

It was only 120$ but apparently its some low end crap.


--------------------
a teenage girl looking for guidance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: tospace]
    #15630619 -

Samsung is a good brand though.  If you don't need HDMI or DVI inputs, then I'd keep it, man..  I don't think there's much difference in image quality between DVI and VGA.

Edited by MikeZ (01/07/12 03:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: tospace]
    #15630623 -

I dont notice a difference between DVI and VGA ports (the have adapters). I do however see a difference between DVI/VGA and HDMI ports.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15630633 -

you might need to get a converter to hook it up to some things tho, for example i use my tv as a monitor, etc


--------------------

                      molly :loveeyes: lucy :tripping: maryjane :bigblunt:
resident med student, PM science based questions :teacher:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15630637 -

DrCrumbs said:
I dont notice a difference between DVI and VGA ports (the have adapters). I do however see a difference between DVI/VGA and HDMI ports.



You might be retarded then, because DVI and HDMI are both identical digital signals.  VGA is analog and completely different.

Definitely take it back, for $120 you can get a 24" monitor...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15630651 -

Its possible. When I run my monitor on the hdmi cable it does look better to me than the DVI cable. Could be also my video cards or something.

Could also be that my DVI cable is not as high quality as the really nice monster hdmi cable I have.

Edited by DrCrumbs (01/07/12 03:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15630667 -

DrCrumbs said:
Its possible. When I run my monitor on the hdmi cable it does look better to me than the DVI cable. Could be also my video cards or something.

Could also be that my DVI cable is not as high quality as the really nice monster hdmi cable I have.



No - you're just flat out wrong.  There's absolutely no difference from an electrical standpoint between HDMI and DVI.  They both deliver on/off digital signals.  If you're getting an image from both of them, they are literally identical.

Also Monster cables are THE biggest scam in the world.  Literally, if you work at Future Shop, you can get a $60 cable for $5... and Future Shop is still making money on that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15630678 -

pwnasaurus said:
DrCrumbs said:
I dont notice a difference between DVI and VGA ports (the have adapters). I do however see a difference between DVI/VGA and HDMI ports.



You might be retarded then, because DVI and HDMI are both identical digital signals.



Nope, DVI-I is analog, just like VGA, while DVI-D is digital. The connector supports both, and some older or low-end LCD screens only support analog DVI-I input.

This screen is cheap, and with a decent VGA cable, you can get good image quality out of it. I wouldn't cancel the order personally. Btw note that the 'LED' connotation is in fact only LED backlight; it's still a regular LCD panel. Still, the backlight will be a bit better and less energy consuming than a regular CFL backlight. Looks like a decent product given the price.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... *DELETED* [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15630682 -

Post deleted by koraks

Reason for deletion:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: MikeZ]
    #15630685 -

I still think you should get a 24" - it's only marginally more expensive.

koraks said:
pwnasaurus said:
DrCrumbs said:
I dont notice a difference between DVI and VGA ports (the have adapters). I do however see a difference between DVI/VGA and HDMI ports.



You might be retarded then, because DVI and HDMI are both identical digital signals.



Nope, DVI-I is analog, just like VGA, while DVI-D is digital. The connector supports both, and some older or low-end LCD screens only support analog DVI-I input.

This screen is cheap, and with a decent VGA cable, you can get good image quality out of it. I wouldn't cancel the order personally. Btw note that the 'LED' connotation is in fact only LED backlight; it's still a regular LCD panel. Still, the backlight will be a bit better and less energy consuming than a regular CFL backlight. Looks like a decent product given the price.




Hmm - I stand corrected.  Well the DVI-D is identical to HDMI anyways.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: MikeZ]
    #15630708 -

Hahahaha.

Oh have a couple of those $5 hdmi cables, they used to come free with video cards. At some point I'll give them a try side by side. I got my monster cable when circuit city was going out of biz or at least their store fronts were so it was super cheap.

I probably wont see much of a difference from these two hdmi cables from my video cards anyway, its probably when I need a lot of data transfer like for blu ray, etc. But I dunno.

So when they put a transfer rating in GB's on a HDMI cable thats just a bunch of crap?
I know some of the best conducting metals are also very expensive. I just assumed this was why the cables with higher ratings were more expensive.

I'd keep the screen as long as it had a pretty good native resolution.

Edited by DrCrumbs (01/07/12 03:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15630735 -

pwnasaurus said:
Definitely take it back, for $120 you can get a 24" monitor...




where would this be. my 28" went out and I like being about to see it through walls

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15630756 -

No DVI?! are you fucking crazy?!:crankey:


--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/kv7JN.gif

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15630774 -

DrCrumbs said:
So when they put a transfer rating in GB's on a HDMI cable thats just a bunch of crap?



No, 10Gbit/sec or more is realistic through an HDMI cable.

Quote:
I know some of the best conducting metals are also very expensive. I just assumed this was why the cables with higher ratings were more expensive.



You don't need a gold or silver cable for a couple of Gbit/sec.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15630805 -

DrCrumbs said:
I know some of the best conducting metals are also very expensive. I just assumed this was why the cables with higher ratings were more expensive.




silver and copper are best for conduction, gold is simply for corrosion
resistance and gold plating is always so thin that it's almost non existent.
the reason these premium cable cost so much is because the companies depend
primarily on gullibility. they hope you believe a fat cable filled with
plastics is enough to justify the extra $60 you'll pay for the high end cable

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15630807 -

DrCrumbs said:
Hahahaha.

Oh have a couple of those $5 hdmi cables, they used to come free with video cards. At some point I'll give them a try side by side. I got my monster cable when circuit city was going out of biz or at least their store fronts were so it was super cheap.

I probably wont see much of a difference from these two hdmi cables from my video cards anyway, its probably when I need a lot of data transfer like for blu ray, etc. But I dunno.

So when they put a transfer rating in GB's on a HDMI cable thats just a bunch of crap?
I know some of the best conducting metals are also very expensive. I just assumed this was why the cables with higher ratings were more expensive.

I'd keep the screen as long as it had a pretty good native resolution.



basically.  that's like saying your cat6 cable is better than another cat6 cable, it's horseshit.  A lot of it comes from audio where the cable can make a difference, although high end audio cables can be made so cheaply now that you can get them for cheap.


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: bbl337]
    #15631159 -

bbl337 said:
DrCrumbs said:
Hahahaha.

Oh have a couple of those $5 hdmi cables, they used to come free with video cards. At some point I'll give them a try side by side. I got my monster cable when circuit city was going out of biz or at least their store fronts were so it was super cheap.

I probably wont see much of a difference from these two hdmi cables from my video cards anyway, its probably when I need a lot of data transfer like for blu ray, etc. But I dunno.

So when they put a transfer rating in GB's on a HDMI cable thats just a bunch of crap?
I know some of the best conducting metals are also very expensive. I just assumed this was why the cables with higher ratings were more expensive.

I'd keep the screen as long as it had a pretty good native resolution.



basically.  that's like saying your cat6 cable is better than another cat6 cable, it's horseshit.  A lot of it comes from audio where the cable can make a difference, although high end audio cables can be made so cheaply now that you can get them for cheap.



The audio cable bit is actually crap too from what I've read.

I read a study where they blind-tested people using everything from high-end audio cables down to using COAT HANGERS as the wire.  Even audiophiles couldn't tell the difference.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: tospace]
    #15631461 -

tospace said:
I realized It has no DVI.  Only VGA.  Should I take it back?  Or will VGA be fine?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+21.5%26%2334%3B+Widescreen+LED+Monitor/3698584.p?id=1218428665850&skuId=3698584

It was only 120$ but apparently its some low end crap.



Dude, its pretty much the same thing, UNLESS you want to go high def.


--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15631522 -

pwnasaurus said:
bbl337 said:
DrCrumbs said:
Hahahaha.

Oh have a couple of those $5 hdmi cables, they used to come free with video cards. At some point I'll give them a try side by side. I got my monster cable when circuit city was going out of biz or at least their store fronts were so it was super cheap.

I probably wont see much of a difference from these two hdmi cables from my video cards anyway, its probably when I need a lot of data transfer like for blu ray, etc. But I dunno.

So when they put a transfer rating in GB's on a HDMI cable thats just a bunch of crap?
I know some of the best conducting metals are also very expensive. I just assumed this was why the cables with higher ratings were more expensive.

I'd keep the screen as long as it had a pretty good native resolution.



basically.  that's like saying your cat6 cable is better than another cat6 cable, it's horseshit.  A lot of it comes from audio where the cable can make a difference, although high end audio cables can be made so cheaply now that you can get them for cheap.



The audio cable bit is actually crap too from what I've read.

I read a study where they blind-tested people using everything from high-end audio cables down to using COAT HANGERS as the wire.  Even audiophiles couldn't tell the difference.



I did a blind test with my ex girlfriend, copper vs silver wire and she could tell which was which.  I'm talking shitty copper vs high end silver.  The metal itself makes a difference, not the grade of the metal - and even then it is a VERY mild difference.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just ordered a 21'5' led monitor but... [Re: bbl337]
    #15631962 -

bbl337 said:
I did a blind test with my ex girlfriend, copper vs silver wire and she could tell which was which.  I'm talking shitty copper vs high end silver.  The metal itself makes a difference, not the grade of the metal - and even then it is a VERY mild difference.



copper is copper and silver is silver, copper wire is sometimes plated with
silver but it's too thin to be of any use, most silver wire is merely plated
teflon or copper. there isnt enough of a difference in resistance between
copper and silver for the ear to discern.  silver is brittle and needs to be
alloyed with other metals to be workable in doing so you reduce it's ability
to conduct electricity bringing it's resistance from 8% over that of copper
to around the level of copper or lower depending on the alloy

pure silver is of less use as an audio cable because it's brittle and
subject to vibration with will lead to a complete loss of conduction over
time as the strands break


silver wire is a marketing gimmick

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I bought this used 21" Viewsonic monitor.... RoadkillM 952 14 05/05/06 11:23 AM
by Roadkill
* help my monitor is making my skin very dry! Scarfmeister 1,120 14 09/15/04 08:32 PM
by Barbi
* Best Buy sold me a 21.3'' LCD which was only BRICK and WOOD
( 1 2 3 all )
daba 6,009 40 09/09/04 06:52 PM
by Redstorm
* What order did you use (psychoactive) drugs in?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
some1whoisntme 6,108 86 06/03/08 07:14 PM
by MisterMuscaria
* International Postal Money Orders cubeladd 614 9 11/25/05 02:49 PM
by Krishna
* Whats your favorite Led Zeppelin Song?
( 1 2 3 all )
Stoned_Druid 3,916 41 10/07/05 02:01 PM
by HeavenlyBlue
* Led Zeppelin sucks ass thread... SunshinePounder 3,037 13 04/24/05 08:02 AM
by SunshinePounder
* Anybody know any Internet retailiers of Good FLAT SCREEN monitors- PsillyNilly 930 6 01/25/05 01:56 PM
by phi1618

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
500 topic views. 4 members, 339 guests and 149 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.