Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Songwriters Out There..
    #15606831 -

i've been playing guitar for almost 10 years and i've never been able to write my own stuff..

i've tried everything but my mind just constantly produces nothing..

any tips on how to help my creativity flow?


--------------------
Synocybin's Penis Envy Grow Log!
OUTDOOR SPENT TRAY GROW PICS!!
X7X Grow Log

Luigi on Shrooms said:
Its been 4weeks since i cased what is going on?
i used human manure(mine) vermiculite and coco coir

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Synocybin]
    #15606910 -

Amphetamines such as adderall seem to help, but i quit taking them.
Thats always when i did my best work. Just dont try to use any other musicians as a standard. Do what comes naturally, even if you think it sounds weird.

DC


--------------------
The Real violence, the violence that I realized was unforgiveable
Is the violence that we do to ourselves
When we are too afraid to be, who we really are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Synocybin]
    #15606911 -

I was like that once.

I would try to think up awesome melodies and whatnot and then try to translate them to guitar but it never worked. For me, the easiest way to make something is to just pick up the guitar and start with a note. Then I'll know what key I want the song to be in. Then i'll just start noodling around the guitar on that note and just try to make up some sort of melody through finger picking single notes that resonate with the key note, or strumming chords or whatever.

I find if you start off with a sound in your head that you want it to sound like, it never works out. If you just start playing random things and expanding off notes it gets fun and interesting.


Just my experience :shrug:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: x Ju x]
    #15606943 -

It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: justinc]
    #15606954 -

justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



Yes, reading novels and poetry will certainly help with creating chord progressions and interesting melodies...

Actually, no, it won't at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Synocybin]
    #15606977 -

It's a hard thing to give tips on... but here is my process of writing. I've written and recorded several albums worth of material at this point.

I generally begin by just messing around playing in a certain scale; trying different notes, patterns, picking techniques, and generally just fooling around and tossing out ideas. Eventually I'll stumble on something that I think sounds good, and I'll begin to build off that idea, developing it into an actual riff. Sometimes at this stage that riff then develops into several variations/alternates.

I take any "riffs" I would consider A-grade material and record them onto a tape player. Unless I'm really passionate about developing the material immediately I generally forget about it at this point. Sometimes I'll forget about them for months, or even years.

After some time has passed I go back to my tapes and listen to them. Time allows you to separate what you thought was A grade material at the time of recording from the shit that genuinely is A grade material; and trust me there is usually a lot. I relearn all of the riffs that jump out at me and really stand out and then rerecord them onto a "keepers" tape.

From there I take all of my riffs that are in the same key or compatible keys and try stringing them together, this is the beginning of the "composition" process.

Once I have a string of riffs that flows well enough to be considered a "song", I record the string and begin developing bass, drum, and vocal patterns, sometimes with the help of other musicians.

The only real advice I can give you is try to write all the time, record the results, and develop the shit that's worth developing.

:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #15606993 -

pwnasaurus said:
justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



Yes, reading novels and poetry will certainly help with creating chord progressions and interesting melodies...

Actually, no, it won't at all.



Hahahaha!

Lol apologies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Synocybin]
    #15607000 -

Synocybin said:
i've been playing guitar for almost 10 years and i've never been able to write my own stuff..

i've tried everything but my mind just constantly produces nothing..

any tips on how to help my creativity flow?



Stop playing for a few days or a few weeks. It's nice when you pick up a guitar after a while and it feels fresh. It also helps to record little things on the computer and then expand on them later on.


--------------------
pt:    n  u  m  b  e  r  s  c  a  n  a  l  s  o  b  e  u
CT(a): BH AT CW CE KI LI LT KE AE BH AE KW LT AW CE KI AT
pt:    s  e  d  a  s  c  o  o  r  d  i  n  a  t  e  s
CT(a): LT KI KT AE LT KE AW AW LI KT BI BH AE LE KI LT
:docbrown:    :realawe:                :realpacman:

Outer Space Radio Network

Gcv Ujkv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Synocybin]
    #15607001 -

pwnasaurus said:
justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



Yes, reading novels and poetry will certainly help with creating chord progressions and interesting melodies...

Actually, no, it won't at all.



RP didn't say he needed help with chord progressions or interesting melodies.  Just that
he knew how to play guitar but had trouble being creative.

:boxxy:

So my question is this, when you say you know how to play guitar, do you mean you have just
been learning other peoples songs, looking up tabs and things?

Or do you know your scales?

Not that you can't write good music by butchering other peoples tunes :lol:

How about words, how are you with poetry or lyrics?

:todcasil:


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: justinc]
    #15607012 -

justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



I find this helpful when trying to be creative as well.

Reading (novels/poetry) creates visuals in your mind that no one
else has, as the brain is a peculiar thing... Then it's up to you to get it
down on paper or to come out of that instrument.

:thumbup:


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Subconscious]
    #15607016 -

Subconscious said:
It's a hard thing to give tips on... but here is my process of writing. I've written and recorded several albums worth of material at this point.

I generally begin by just messing around playing in a certain scale; trying different notes, patterns, picking techniques, and generally just fooling around and tossing out ideas. Eventually I'll stumble on something that I think sounds good, and I'll begin to build off that idea, developing it into an actual riff. Sometimes at this stage that riff then develops into several variations/alternates.

I take any "riffs" I would consider A-grade material and record them onto a tape player. Unless I'm really passionate about developing the material immediately I generally forget about it at this point. Sometimes I'll forget about them for months, or even years.

After some time has passed I go back to my tapes and listen to them. Time allows you to separate what you thought was A grade material at the time of recording from the shit that genuinely is A grade material; and trust me there is usually a lot. I relearn all of the riffs that jump out at me and really stand out and then rerecord them onto a "keepers" tape.

From there I take all of my riffs that are in the same key or compatible keys and try stringing them together, this is the beginning of the "composition" process.

Once I have a string of riffs that flows well enough to be considered a "song", I record the string and begin developing bass, drum, and vocal patterns, sometimes with the help of other musicians.

The only real advice I can give you is try to write all the time, record the results, and develop the shit that's worth developing.

:mushroom2:



:thumbup:


--------------------
pt:    n  u  m  b  e  r  s  c  a  n  a  l  s  o  b  e  u
CT(a): BH AT CW CE KI LI LT KE AE BH AE KW LT AW CE KI AT
pt:    s  e  d  a  s  c  o  o  r  d  i  n  a  t  e  s
CT(a): LT KI KT AE LT KE AW AW LI KT BI BH AE LE KI LT
:docbrown:    :realawe:                :realpacman:

Outer Space Radio Network

Gcv Ujkv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Todcasil]
    #15607021 -

Todcasil said:
justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



I find this helpful when trying to be creative as well.

Reading (novels/poetry) creates visuals in your mind that no one
else has, as the brain is a peculiar thing... Then it's up to you to get it
down on paper or to come out of that instrument.

:thumbup:



That's kind of weird. :archiebunker:


--------------------
pt:    n  u  m  b  e  r  s  c  a  n  a  l  s  o  b  e  u
CT(a): BH AT CW CE KI LI LT KE AE BH AE KW LT AW CE KI AT
pt:    s  e  d  a  s  c  o  o  r  d  i  n  a  t  e  s
CT(a): LT KI KT AE LT KE AW AW LI KT BI BH AE LE KI LT
:docbrown:    :realawe:                :realpacman:

Outer Space Radio Network

Gcv Ujkv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Talking Head]
    #15607022 -

The best advice I got when in a similar situation was just to finish stuff. Even if you don't like the songs you are making right away it helps in getting experience into how it feels to create something completely new and possibilities of creation will start flowing.


To start with ideas there are several cool tricks. Grab a certain riff you like and start playing with different rhythms and see what you come up with.

Similarly, grab a riff you like and change the notes but maintain the original rhythm.

But start finishing something, even if you think it's crap.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Todcasil]
    #15607037 -

I'm primarily a guitarist, and I play in a band, so usually I wind up writing music and working with the singer to write words and melodies. But for me, usually the music I write kind of writes its own words.


For example with our latest song, I thought I had ripped of Hendrix's song "So What." Of course he didn't have a song called that, I was mistaking it with "Who Knows" and it turned out I didn't rip it off at all. So for writing words, I came up with the idea to describe a ridiculous/shitty situations and have the chorus say "So what?" The singer then filled in with the rest of what he wanted to say and finished the chorus from there.

I think just coming up with a particular concept or words to describe how you're feeling or the feeling of the song, and then building on that. Like others have said, listening to world class songs and music, guitar parts etc. will help, as well as reading world class writing and poetry.

What I mean by that is that listening to electronic music and reading a Dragonlance novel will probably not help you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Talking Head]
    #15607042 -

Talking Head said:
Todcasil said:
justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



I find this helpful when trying to be creative as well.

Reading (novels/poetry) creates visuals in your mind that no one
else has, as the brain is a peculiar thing... Then it's up to you to get it
down on paper or to come out of that instrument.

:thumbup:



That's kind of weird. :archiebunker:



THEN I GUESS IM KIND OF WEIRD

:blewmeanie:


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Todcasil]
    #15607053 -

My knowledge on musical theory and scales and what have you is based solely on what I've learned through teaching myself how to play different instruments.

I understand the basics of it all. Like how to translate notes through different octaves and finding notes the fit in the same key. But if someone were to hand me a guitar or bass or whatever and tell me to play a certain scale I wouldn't have a clue.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Todcasil]
    #15607058 -

Todcasil said:
Talking Head said:
Todcasil said:
justinc said:
It is said that if you want to write well, you should to read a lot. Read poetry and challenging novels.



I find this helpful when trying to be creative as well.

Reading (novels/poetry) creates visuals in your mind that no one
else has, as the brain is a peculiar thing... Then it's up to you to get it
down on paper or to come out of that instrument.

:thumbup:



That's kind of weird. :archiebunker:



THEN I GUESS IM KIND OF WEIRD

:blewmeanie:



That's ok, I practice my golf swing when I'm training for basketball. :psychor:


--------------------
pt:    n  u  m  b  e  r  s  c  a  n  a  l  s  o  b  e  u
CT(a): BH AT CW CE KI LI LT KE AE BH AE KW LT AW CE KI AT
pt:    s  e  d  a  s  c  o  o  r  d  i  n  a  t  e  s
CT(a): LT KI KT AE LT KE AW AW LI KT BI BH AE LE KI LT
:docbrown:    :realawe:                :realpacman:

Outer Space Radio Network

Gcv Ujkv

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Talking Head]
    #15607082 -

Because art can't be translated into different forms?

And for the record practicing a golf swing with help with your finesse
in just about anything.


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: Todcasil]
    #15607089 -

I always thought that any kind of art was an expression
of emotion and human experience.

The man has the guitar playing skills, now he just needs to figure
out something for himself.  Looking at the way other people express
themselves artistically, i believe, can't be a bad thing.


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Songwriters Out There.. [Re: x Ju x]
    #15607106 -

x Ju x said:
My knowledge on musical theory and scales and what have you is based solely on what I've learned through teaching myself how to play different instruments.

I understand the basics of it all. Like how to translate notes through different octaves and finding notes the fit in the same key. But if someone were to hand me a guitar or bass or whatever and tell me to play a certain scale I wouldn't have a clue.



That's kind of the way I have taught myself music over the past fifteen or so years,
but i find it's also good to mess around with different giutar tunings, or to learn a
crazy scale and that sort of thing, when I'm stuck in a rut musically. 

Sometimes taking a break helps, let's you reset your frame of reference.

I guess a good question to ask yourself is this:  why do you want to write songs/music?
I think the answer to that question can help you decide how to navigate next, perhaps.

:todcasil:


--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.


~Casil



:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Singer/Guitar player/Songwriter for Sublime RandalFlagg 1,020 7 11/20/05 03:44 PM
by RandalFlagg
* Buying a Guitar
( 1 2 all )
Comfortably_Numb 5,178 33 12/07/04 05:24 PM
by Jim
* is the guitar dead?
( 1 2 3 all )
gilesypopper 3,648 46 06/23/08 08:05 PM
by BoneMan
* creativeness Simisu 1,149 16 11/05/06 09:54 AM
by Prisoner#1
* rock band trumps guitar hero
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
StonedShroom 7,961 81 11/24/07 12:31 PM
by Redstorm
* Novel Music
( 1 2 all )
Hrethic 2,886 34 03/15/06 09:31 AM
by OneMoreRobot3021
* cool guitar solos
( 1 2 all )
MistaUNGA 2,019 34 03/20/08 05:13 PM
by Bridgeburner
* Guitars
( 1 2 3 all )
Infrared 6,129 47 02/23/04 05:37 PM
by temperance

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,602 topic views. 3 members, 10 guests and 145 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.