Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Preserving a mushroom in its origional form
    #12451591 -

Today I was volunteering at a local nursery where there was a fair and one of the booths belonged to the mushroom society I belong too. I saw several wonderful mushroom specimens in glass boxes so I asked if they had went out and picked them earlier that day...to my astonishment the women told me that the mushrooms were somehow preserved years ago and no one knows where they came from.

I am very interested in preserving my mushroom finds for artistic and scientific reasons but for the life of me I cannot find any information of preserving the original look of a mushroom.

anyone have an answer for me? id really appreciate it.


--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: 2Cents]
    #12451732 -

i'm not sure..

Honey?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: 2Cents]
    #15367477 -

Did you ever figure this out?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: VancouverNoob]
    #15423453 -

Nope, I never found out how to make this work.


--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: 2Cents]
    #15423890 -

Coming from the side of trying to preserve aquatic insects which are generally small and more easily preservable in strong ethanol or isopropanol: it doesn't work :sad: at least... not for extended amounts of time. There will always be color loss in biological samples in these media.


--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: suchen]
    #15423958 -

I don't think it is possible to preserve fresh mushrooms with todays technology.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #15423995 -

The best way at present is with good photography.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #15424010 -

Did you never ask the lady how someone did it so long ago? Or maybe other higher-ups in your mycology association? Seems like they may know the magic trick to preservation.

Also, I was thinking you could take quality 3D images and put them in a 3D digital frame. That would be pretty badass :awesomenod:


--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: 2Cents]
    #15424234 -

Maybe vacuum desiccation or freeze drying. For the vacuum desiccation, you'd need a vacuum chamber, it's been a while and I don't remember where I saw it but vacuum dried mushrooms retain their shape very well, if the vacuum is gradually increased, there is some loss of color, though. Another way is to freeze dry them in a chest freezer in a paper bag or wax paper bag, freeze drying this way takes a long time to get good results, but it also gives you a mushroom that retains it shape well with minimal loss of color, but you need a freezer that doesn't have defrost cycle and it takes a month or more depending on the size of your mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: falcon]
    #15424354 -

I have tried drying them and then covering them with polyester resin, they look quite cool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: AIRDOG]
    #15424364 -

AIRDOG said:
I have tried drying them and then covering them with polyester resin, they look quite cool



Got any pics? I thought about trying this sort of idea myself.


--------------------
]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: Ieponumos]
    #15424388 -

inski said:
The best way at present is with good photography.



Ieponumos said:
AIRDOG said:
I have tried drying them and then covering them with polyester resin, they look quite cool



Got any pics? I thought about trying this sort of idea myself.




:bender:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: VancouverNoob]
    #15425267 -
Log in to view attachment

I think preserving the colour is always going to be the biggest challenge. Most preservation methods destroy the colour to some extent.

I came across an article recently that is relevant to this thread (attached). It talks about freeze drying fungi and impregnating them with wax.


--------------------
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" ~ John Lennon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: TimmiT]
    #15426004 -

Hmm, thanks for sharing that TimmiT! Will have to experiment a bit.


--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Preserving a mushroom in its origional form [Re: suchen]
    #15428491 -

No one in the club knows where they came from, I guess they were found years ago in the cabinet.


--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* preserving Cryptic_Passions 923 1 07/16/01 06:39 PM
by Mitchnast
* mushroom abundance down here in Mexico AIRDOG 1,344 3 07/24/02 09:51 AM
by AIRDOG
* Re: Mushrooms
( 1 2 all )
GGreatOne234 7,956 32 02/10/00 01:03 PM
by Abaddon
* VERY potent mushrooms?
( 1 2 all )
Legoulash 3,702 25 03/05/03 03:54 AM
by mjshroomer
* SOme Beautiful hawaiian Copelandia cyanescent Mushrooms mjshroomer 2,225 11 05/04/03 09:27 AM
by mjshroomer
* News Clipping--Treasure Coast Mushrooms Sturn-up GGreatOne234 10,203 11 07/28/01 06:32 PM
by Anonymous
* Magic Mushrooms in Mississippi: Part Two mjshroomer 26,667 5 01/28/12 01:16 AM
by koraks
* Pictures of Poisonous Mushrooms
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 19,828 43 03/11/03 07:26 AM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,125 topic views. 0 members, 17 guests and 57 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.