Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #15386711 -

Painting is the easy part... If you can paint with a can, you can paint with a gun, the paint typically comes out thicker.

BUT, sanding BLOWS.  Sand paper is expensive and always takes 3x as much as you expect, take what you think you'll spend and double it. HVLP guns, what you see mostly now, need LOTS of air (high volume, low pressure), it takes a decent size compressor to run one, I used to use the one of the biggest 120v compressors available with a second tank and it still struggled. Plus that shit will eat up your lungs, nasty stuff. Black paint is a pain to shoot, I've always had black cars and always painted them myself, and what you see right there is why I don't use clear coats. If its not perfect, and I mean PERFECT, it really shows, but cut that shit a few times working to 2000 grit and it'll shine like a fuckin mirror.

WALK AWAY!


--------------------
Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

Edited by Galaxie500 (11/17/11 11:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Galaxie500]
    #15386728 -

Galaxie500 said:
If you can paint with a can, you can paint with a gun,



And if you can dodge a wrench...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #15388284 -

I would say most of the time paint fading is due to the lack of thickness of the clear coat.It also could be due to improper formula mixing of the clear coat.You need 2 mills minimum of clear.

Uv damage/weather elements just speed up the process.


I am a automotive painter btw.

Fixing this really ain't that much work.If you get some some sand paper and scuff pads and prep it out ur self,you can take it to a shop and all they need to is re-base it and clear.If it's solid black you can get it done cheaper with a single stage.

Tell the guy to knock $750 off the price as you got a quote to repaint it for $1000(prob can get someone to paint it for half that price maybe less.)


--------------------
I can beat you to the punch line..or i could punch you to the beat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Solo_Dolo]
    #15388944 -

Well he's already selling it $1000 less than it's blue book value so I don't know how much I can squeeze him for.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15388988 -

Newbie said:
Well he's already selling it $1000 less than it's blue book value so I don't know how much I can squeeze him for.



Sure you can...KBB don't mean shit.Money talks especially with this economy.Just can't be a pussy bout bargaining.

If you have the money in hand show it to him and just be like "idk cuz the cars paint looks like shit..I think imma gonna wait and see if something else pops up..."

Trust me.


--------------------
I can beat you to the punch line..or i could punch you to the beat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15388991 -

My cars always look fucked up thanks to the asshats at my local school and grocery store parking lots. They are riddled with dents and HUGE scratches from carts. I gave up trying to have a nice looking car a long time ago. If it runs and doesn't have to many make related reported problems I would buy it and not even worry about the paint job. That's just me tho.

I bought 1 car almost brand new. It stayed dent free and beautiful for about 2 weeks. 3 mother fuckers hit my car with theirs in parking lots and just drove off. Then someone vandalized it by scratching the shit out of it after they got fired from a job I use to have.

I miss my old beater truck. If someone hit it I didn't give a shit because they couldn't dent the beast. They just fucked their cars up even coming near that thing. I think it was made of titanium. :awesomenod:



--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Edited by Kada (11/18/11 01:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389040 -

The paint has been flaking off on parts of my car and I cant figure out why either.
Im nowhere near the ocean.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #15389189 -

wildernessjunkie said:
Salomon said:
that's an unlucky car dude.



Agreed.

Looking at that, I see only two possibilties. Either damage from a sandstorm or an engine fire cooked the paint off.

I dont care what Carfax says, that shit aint right. Be wary about this purchase.

Qualification: AAS in Automotive Technology.



Are you fucking kidding me? Did you get your AAS online?

Hyundai, along with a few other manufacturers used a shitty clear coat in the 90's and early 00's. Oxidation caused it to break down and turn white/ flake off.

It's a common problem among many car brands. Look at mid to late 90's Ford Winstar's.

Personally I'd never recommend a Hyundai of that year, even if the paint was perfect. They've gotten A LOT better in the past few years and can finally compete with the big boys in terms of quality and reliability, but 10 years ago, I wouldn't take that chance.

Same with Kia. The produce some pretty excellent cars now, but 10 years ago all they could squirt out is a pile of watery shit.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #15389530 -

I talked him down to $3100.  They're taking it to my mechanic for me to do a look over and I'm picking it up next Friday.  It ran well, the steering was a bit tight as soon as I turned it on but it immediately got smoother and I didn't notice any weird sounds or anything.  I took it onto the highway and pulled it up to 80, no shaking or anything...  I think I made out pretty well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389616 -

Also, the paint looks waaay worse in the pic than it does in person.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Solo_Dolo]
    #15389714 -

Solo_Dolo said:
Newbie said:
Well he's already selling it $1000 less than it's blue book value so I don't know how much I can squeeze him for.



Sure you can...KBB don't mean shit.Money talks



agreed, black book is the wholesale price, it'll list the car at around
$1500 given the condition of the paint, because of the paint it would be
listed in fair condition, as an individual sale it's $2000, trade value is
$1000 so a $1500 price is median depending on how it's sold

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15389748 -

He wouldn't go less. I fired 3 even at him, he went to talk to his manager, I told him I can't do it and stood up and he said, "Wait, I'll talk to him again, stay put."  He came back out and said he can't do 3.  I told him the $3480 was too much, I can't swing it.  He asked what I could do and I told him no more than $3100.  He came back out and agreed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389769 -

well you gots yerself a car.



now go on a blaze run and smile


--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389837 -

Newbie said:
I talked him down to $3100.  They're taking it to my mechanic for me to do a look over and I'm picking it up next Friday.  It ran well, the steering was a bit tight as soon as I turned it on but it immediately got smoother and I didn't notice any weird sounds or anything.  I took it onto the highway and pulled it up to 80, no shaking or anything...  I think I made out pretty well.



I wouldn't worry too much about the power steering since once the pump got going it eased up, since it's a lighter car it probably has a lower gear ratio (you can get away with it easier in a lighter car), makes it more responsive.  As long as there wasn't slop, you're good.


--------------------
Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389852 -

Newbie said:
He wouldn't go less. I fired 3 even at him, he went to talk to his manager, I told him I can't do it and stood up and he said, "Wait, I'll talk to him again, stay put."  He came back out and said he can't do 3.  I told him the $3480 was too much, I can't swing it.  He asked what I could do and I told him no more than $3100.  He came back out and agreed.




so this is a car lot?

dont take the deal. car lot can do it for any price because they got the car
for nothing, the trade value was tacked on with a markup on the tail of the
guy's loan.  they can go for $1500, after you talk to your mechanic and fond
out what else is wrong tell them regardless of what the mechanic says that
he's said it was in a lesser condition than they've represented and your best
offer is $1500. if they say no then walk away

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15389874 -

Then I lose my $200 deposit.  :crankey:  We'll see what happens.  Right now I'm happy to be mobile again, in a car with working heat.  Last winter was brutal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389883 -

you paid a deposit?

I'ma come to your house and kick you right in the fookin' shin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15389889 -

and dont wait up, it could take a while for me to get there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15389893 -

They made me do it.  :crying:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15389901 -

lemme guess, they also told you a hundred other people looked at it and
several were interested in it because it was such a bargain


tell them you need some buttsecks to satisfy your end of the deal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* an old pic Scratcher 1,618 9 02/23/03 11:40 PM
by In(di)go
* Twins ***UPDATED ~ pic*** MushroomSally 1,952 18 12/04/03 05:32 PM
by TODAY
* i bought a model car Smack31 957 8 02/19/03 06:22 PM
by Smack31
* Show off ur Rideeeeeee! (pics)
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
daba 16,214 118 06/02/18 04:01 PM
by Ima Trooper
* Pics of the cat me and 3D are going to adopt :) Sammi 2,256 15 08/14/03 01:38 AM
by Sammi
* (Pics) Bored with a digi camera breathingofmist 1,818 13 08/26/03 09:54 AM
by fjbk47985
* last acidicsloth pic post, I promise Turd 962 7 08/12/03 02:46 PM
by Ori
* Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House!
( 1 2 all )
daba 4,831 37 05/09/06 08:31 PM
by Pat Bateman, VP

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,209 topic views. 5 members, 24 guests and 164 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 17 queries.