Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
What causes paint damage on a car? (updated w/ pics)
    #15386335 -

I'm finally looking for a new (used) car and I've found one that seems all good through its carfax but the hood, trunk, and parts of the top appear to have a lot of paint damage...  It's a 2002 Hyundai Elantra; it's got great reviews and seems like a safe buy but I'm curious as to why the paint would look like this.  My Dad's car is the same age yet the paint is fine.  I need leverage to talk this dealer down tomorrow and I could use all the help I can get.  They're asking $3450, the KBB is $4400, so they're already knocking $1000 off, but if I can knock him down an extra $400 or so I can get this car and have it repainted for the original asking price.



Ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15386346 -

Bird shit.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15386349 -

salt in the air living next to the ocean

snow

lots of things...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: AlmostAsCoolAs]
    #15386351 -

AlmostAsCoolAs said:
Bird shit.




--------------------
my sig never wants to stay...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: casket]
    #15386387 -

Well I'm about two hours from the ocean, and from the carfax report it seems the car has been too.  Unless this car's been parked under a bird exhibit at the zoo for a few months I don't think it's bird shit either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15386392 -

eggs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: mrckb]
    #15386409 -

Here are some pics:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15386430 -

Sand storms will do it too.

I used to work at a dealership as a technician. Biggest things we would see to lower the value on a daily basis was worn out tires, and worn out brakes. Simplest thing to fix, but also worth a least a grand combined.

Best gauge of a tires worth is a penny. Use the gap between Lincolns head, and the edge of the coin. If the tread is deeper than that, then you have 3-6 months left depending on how/where you drive.

On a side note, I cant endorse buying any car. The value doesn't hold. Full size trucks, and Jeep Wranglers on the other hand do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #15386436 -

Well I live in the suburbs of Philly.  Last sandstorm we had was about...never.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15386452 -

It almost looks like someone started to take the paint off, then said fuck it half way through.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: ButteredToast]
    #15386462 -

somebody chucked a waterballoon filled with paint thinner at it.




that's an unlucky car dude.


--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie] * 1
    #15386477 -

It's the clear coat peeling off... I'm on my smartphone and can't really see, is it on the whole car or just the hood?  Clear coat peels off because of UV damage, big temperature variations, shitty paint (read: Dodges)...  The rest of the clear would need to be sanded off and re-cleared... Big, messy job, sanding is A LOT of freakin work, or expensive to have done...


--------------------
Tact is for those who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

Edited by Galaxie500 (11/17/11 10:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Salomon]
    #15386480 -

Salomon said:
that's an unlucky car dude.



Agreed.

Looking at that, I see only two possibilties. Either damage from a sandstorm or an engine fire cooked the paint off.

I dont care what Carfax says, that shit aint right. Be wary about this purchase.

Qualification: AAS in Automotive Technology.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Newbie]
    #15386491 -

Salt. (if you are near the sea)

The sun will claim all at the end of the day :smile:


--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
Sit up and meditate, there's no time to contemplate.
-------------------------------------------------
I have an international Hitech Psytrance project with a friend: BioChronic
I make various form of Psytrance as a solo Project Dendriform

Edited by Psy Baba (11/17/11 10:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #15386515 -

It's the clear coat peeling off. Hyundai's are cheap and made cheap, especially in the NE which I think I saw you say earlier in the thread after nine years that could be expected. Your cheapest bet is to take it to MAACO. The paint job wouldn't be quality, but it would be better.

I am going to warn you to stay away from a hyundai of that age though. It will just be a basket case of problems, even if you get a warranty the car will be in the shop a lot.


--------------------
I eat mushrooms to meet hippie chicks.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: qbe]
    #15386543 -

it's mostly from the sun.

people who don't keep their cars clean and waxed, and let them sit in the sun every day eventually look like this.

I work at a car dealership and I see it all the time, usually with older cheaper cars like saturns, hyundai, mazda, etc.


there's really no way to fix it once it gets like that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #15386606 -

The Ecstatic said:
it's mostly from the sun.

people who don't keep their cars clean and waxed, and let them sit in the sun every day eventually look like this.

I work at a car dealership and I see it all the time, usually with older cheaper cars like saturns, hyundai, mazda, etc.


there's really no way to fix it once it gets like that.



indeed.


--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
Sit up and meditate, there's no time to contemplate.
-------------------------------------------------
I have an international Hitech Psytrance project with a friend: BioChronic
I make various form of Psytrance as a solo Project Dendriform

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Galaxie500]
    #15386611 -

Galaxie500 said:
It's the clear coat peeling off... I'm on my smartphone and can't really see, is it on the whole car or just the hood?  Clear coat peels off because of UV damage, big temperature variations, shitty paint (read: Dodges)... 



chevy and dodge both were notorious for paint washing off after the clear
started flaking, they'd tried a water based paint because of tightening EPA
regulations

Quote:
The rest of the clear would need to be sanded off and re-cleared... Big, messy job, sanding is A LOT of freakin work, or expensive to have done...



not that bad, 2 stage paint can be shot pretty easy with a cheap gun, if
it's just the hood about a quart of base and clear, the whole car would
take about a gallon or just a little over of each, around $250 for the
paint, reducer and catalyst (gallons) another $100 for supplies and tools
can always be borrowed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #15386642 -

Prisoner#1 said:
not that bad, 2 stage paint can be shot pretty easy with a cheap gun, if
it's just the hood about a quart of base and clear, the whole car would
take about a gallon or just a little over of each, around $250 for the
paint, reducer and catalyst (gallons) another $100 for supplies and tools
can always be borrowed



Works great if you have the skillz. Not so great if you dont though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What causes paint damage on a car? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #15386676 -

This reminds me I have to clean up my car's paint (black cars are a bitch) it has swirls and etching,definitely needs a good polish.

its always a good thing to clean off bird shit asap,its acidic and leaves marks obviously.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* an old pic Scratcher 1,618 9 02/23/03 11:40 PM
by In(di)go
* Twins ***UPDATED ~ pic*** MushroomSally 1,952 18 12/04/03 05:32 PM
by TODAY
* i bought a model car Smack31 957 8 02/19/03 06:22 PM
by Smack31
* Show off ur Rideeeeeee! (pics)
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
daba 16,214 118 06/02/18 04:01 PM
by Ima Trooper
* Pics of the cat me and 3D are going to adopt :) Sammi 2,256 15 08/14/03 01:38 AM
by Sammi
* (Pics) Bored with a digi camera breathingofmist 1,818 13 08/26/03 09:54 AM
by fjbk47985
* last acidicsloth pic post, I promise Turd 962 7 08/12/03 02:46 PM
by Ori
* Turn a retired Incubator into a Hermit Crab House!
( 1 2 all )
daba 4,831 37 05/09/06 08:31 PM
by Pat Bateman, VP

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,209 topic views. 5 members, 18 guests and 85 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 17 queries.