Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Trichocereus peruvianus v. Matucana seedlings
    #15106061 - 09/20/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

These are month-old seedlings of T. peruvianus var. Matucana.

Well at first they were growing along nicely, then about 2 weeks ago they seemed to stop the vertical growth completely, and put all their effort into spine production instead. Is this normal? They gotta start growing upwards again at some point, right?

It's pretty much the same story with my bridgesii and macrogonus seedlings.

Also, a couple are getting real burnt-looking (see photo) while their neighbors seem completely fine. I made the burners these tiny individual transluscent hats, cos I don't really wanna move the whole pot to a lower light when some seedlings are taking the current light just fine.

The potting mix I have them in, pretty much only has worm castings in the way of nutrition. Not counting commercial cactus soil.

I could mix up a fertilizer solution out of kelp meal, bone meal, more wormcastings (love theMallacht's worm tea tek)... any suggestions on ratios?

--------------------
:crazy2: SWEET POTATO HOME FRIES :crazy2:
:mushroom2:HOW TO USE A PENIS ENVY SPORE SWAB:mushroom2:

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevelcroshaman
Fazed and Confused

Re: Trichocereus peruvianus v. Matucana seedlings [Re: SKrink]
    #15106239 - 09/20/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

They don't need any fertilizer if they're only a month old. It's possible they're getting too much nitrogen, although unlikely. Usually worm castings are around max 3-2-2, but you don't need to add them if you're using cactus soil til they're around 3 months when you first transplant them

Are you keeping them in direct sunlight? And how's the humidity?

EDIT: P.S. You really don't need to worry about nutrients for the first couple of months. I always start mine in 50/50 perlite/coarse sand, they grow perfectly and are less susceptible to fungal attacks. If you give em too much nitrogen in the seed starting soil mix, it'll stunt their growth and/or kill 'em. When they're about 3 months, take the humidity dome off and transplant them about an inch away from the side of the pot in some good nutritious soil then.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Current Grows:mushroom2:
:1up: Mimosa hostilis

:mushroom2: Give me stuff I want for stuff you want :mushroom2:

Edited by velcroshaman (09/20/11 12:39 PM)

Invisiblesavage.renegade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay area
Re: Trichocereus peruvianus v. Matucana seedlings [Re: velcroshaman]
    #15109693 - 09/20/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

My peruvianus are about a month old and have less developed spines than yours. My stopped growing up as well at about 2 weeks too.

--------------------

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus peruvianus v. Matucana seedlings [Re: savage.renegade]
    #15111627 - 09/21/11 11:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Strange huh, that they stopped vertical growth. My lophs planted at the same time are now looking bigger than the trichs.

But gonna graft a couple to pereskiopsis when they're 3 months old :wink: if I can keep it warm enough in this tin shack so that dormancy is moot.

Just curious, but if seedlings this young were out in the wild, would they go dormant, or just die in winter?

--------------------

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Trichocereus peruvianus v. Matucana seedlings [Re: SKrink]
    #15111651 - 09/21/11 12:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Just curious, but if seedlings this young were out in the wild, would they go dormant, or just die in winter?

In their native habitat, they'd go dormant...  and you can prove by the sheer fact that they.. you know..  live, and reproduce out there: p

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus peruvianus v. Matucana seedlings [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #15111664 - 09/21/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HarveyWalbanger said:
Quote:

In their native habitat, they'd go dormant...  and you can prove by the sheer fact that they.. you know..  live, and reproduce out there: p

:shrug: Sure, if they hatched in spring and had 6 months before it got cold. I was wondering about month-old seedlings ability to survive. Anyhow it's a non-issue for me since I'm growing indoors.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck