Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
DUI for biking while drunk?
    #14955985 -

Does anybody else feel that it's bullshit that people get DUIs for biking while drunk? I mean, doesn't DUI mean DRIVING under the influence? :what:

Operating a vehicle while drunk is illegal because it is potentially lethally dangerous (many people have died/been seriously injured as a result of drunk driving)..both for the driver, and for those who are in close vicinity to the driver. I'm not sure how many people have been killed/seriously injured by drunk bicyclists, but I doubt very many have. So why give a drunk bicyclist the same punishment as a drunk driver? Makes no sense to me, they do not at all pose the same risk to public safety, not by a long-shot.


I'd be pretty interested in hearing the opinions of people who support giving drunk bicyclists the same punishment as drunk drivers..I just don't understand that point of view at all. :confused:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid]
    #14956005 -

Firstly, the consequences for a BUI are significantly less than a DUI.

Secondly, a bike can seriously injure someone. Very easily.
For example, a drunk guy biking quickly down the sidewalk...

It is also illegal to walk while drunk.
If you have any gripes, I think we should start there...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid] * 4
    #14956008 -

Bikers are already shitty enough to drive with. They don't need to be drunk too.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Gibson33]
    #14956021 -

I ride my bike all the time, sober or intoxicated. I've never had problems, but I'm good at bike riding--not a fool.

I'd say if you were all over the street, driving like a drunk, or you've pissed off a cop, are the only times you would get such a ticket.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #14956029 -

ifoundwaldo said:
Firstly, the consequences for a BUI are significantly less than a DUI.


I was stopped the other night while biking drunk as fuck (they stopped me for not having a bike light). They noticed I was pretty inebriated when they started talking to me, and told me that I can get a DUI for biking under the influence..they said DUI, not BUI. They never mentioned that the consequences for riding a bike while under the influence were lighter than driving while under the influence, so I just assumed that they're not..I guess I'll have to do a bit of research to know for sure.


ifoundwaldo said:
It is also illegal to walk while drunk.


They never said anything about this..they knew I was pretty wasted, and they told me I'd be fine if I just walked my bike.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #14956037 -

swerving a bike into traffic can instantly make it just as dangerous if not more so.

i am in favor of this. maybe not quite as sever of a punishment but there should absolutely be laws for it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: frith]
    #14956044 -

shivas.wisdom said:
I ride my bike all the time, sober or intoxicated. I've never had problems, but I'm good at bike riding--not a fool.

I'd say if you were all over the street, driving like a drunk, or you've pissed off a cop, are the only times you would get such a ticket.


Well I was stopped for not having a bike light, they noticed I was drunk afterwards..I was not swerving and shit.


frith said:
swerving a bike into traffic can instantly make it just as dangerous if not more so.

i am in favor of this. maybe not quite as sever of a punishment but there should absolutely be laws for it.


I agree there should be laws against it, but I don't agree that people should get DUIs for it.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: frith]
    #14956045 -

frith said:
swerving a bike into traffic can instantly make it just as dangerous if not more so.




That is how I was thinking about it. You'd still be increasing the risk of harm to yourself and other people while biking under the influence. That said it's probably pretty safe if you're on the side walk and you have a helmet on. I probably wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing it.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Gibson33]
    #14956061 -

Gibson33 said:
Bikers are already shitty enough to drive with. They don't need to be drunk too.


I usually bike on the sidewalk, unless it's late at night and there are no cars on the street.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid]
    #14956065 -

Poid said:
they stopped me for not having a bike light



I'm assuming lights and a bell are required by law in California, as they are up where I live. Comply with those laws and you wouldn't have been stopped in the first place probably.

Also, how was your biking that night--seriously impaired or no?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Gibson33]
    #14956077 -

Fuck me, you can get charged with DUI for riding a bike while drunk?

Could I then be charged with DWI for riding my bike while :jah: ?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #14956078 -

shivas.wisdom said:
Poid said:
they stopped me for not having a bike light



I'm assuming lights and a bell are required by law in California, as they are up where I live.


I think it depends on the city, I'm not sure though..I've been stopped for not having a bike light a few times (but only once in the city I live in now), but never for not having a bell.


shivas.wisdom said:
Comply with those laws and you wouldn't have been stopped in the first place probably.


I suspect they may have just pulled me over because they noticed I have long hair, and just used the bike light violation as an excuse to fuck with me. I've lived in the city I live in now for about a year, and have biked past cops during the night several times without being hassled..this is the first time this happened.


shivas.wisdom said:
Also, how was your biking that night--seriously impaired or no?


It was fine. I was drunk as hell, but I'm a pretty experienced biker, so biking while drunk is not too hard for me.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid]
    #14956082 -

Were you given a breathalyzer? If so, what were the results? If that happened to me I'd probably be laughing so hard at the officers they'd throw me in the drunk tank for 24 hours.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Edited by robbyberto (08/21/11 10:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid]
    #14956087 -

I've never heard of this actually being enforced before, though when the cities start hurting for revenue you never know.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid]
    #14956088 -

Poid said:
I suspect they may have just pulled me over because they noticed I have long hair



Thats the only logical explanation.

:rolleyes:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: robbyberto]
    #14956092 -

robbyberto said:
Were you given a breathalyzer? If so, what were the results? If that happened to me I'd probably be laughing so hard at the officers they'd throw me in the drunk tank for 24 hours.



Nope..I was visibly drunk, so giving me a breathalyzer would've been pointless.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: frith]
    #14956093 -

frith said:
Poid said:
I suspect they may have just pulled me over because they noticed I have long hair



Thats the only logical explanation.

:rolleyes:


I never said that.


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid] * 1
    #14956096 -

Yeah but it would have been pretty hilarious as well.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: frith]
    #14956105 -

Did they even charge you with anything? If not they were probably just fucking
with you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DUI for biking while drunk? [Re: Poid]
    #14956111 -

I hope these short videos answer your question





--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Refusing a Breathalyzer?
( 1 2 all )
TheFakeSunRa 3,788 21 08/10/06 04:27 PM
by HeadTripVertigo
* Learyfan interview with Gin_Drunk LearyfanS 3,228 17 03/24/05 05:46 PM
by Burke Dennings
* You're know you're a drunk when... grphish 1,084 0 08/11/06 12:55 PM
by grphish
* DUI charge for THC in your urine/blood stream?
( 1 2 all )
TODAY 6,788 30 12/16/10 02:37 PM
by ifoundwaldo
* my bitch of a friend tried to drive home drunk last night
( 1 2 all )
OJK 3,928 37 10/03/09 12:28 AM
by Ganjika
* Fucking DUI...
( 1 2 all )
BuddahKillah 4,041 32 01/31/05 11:44 AM
by MrBump
* DUI Story....desperately seeking advice kespin 2,104 16 04/10/07 06:59 PM
by Beaver
* DUI - I blew under the limit !
( 1 2 all )
BuddahKillah 3,171 21 04/01/07 05:43 PM
by Psilobuds

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,529 topic views. 3 members, 11 guests and 92 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.