Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Morchella elata in Oregon
    #1474043 - 04/19/03 08:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well I'm hunting morels in Oregon for another day or two, and I have a question for you experts out there.

If I wanted to get spores from a wild morel, how would I go about it? Hang them upside down over a piece of sterilized aluminum? I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, as they don't have gills... Please note any sterilization percautions I should take. And if you could point me in the direction of some info on how to grow morels indoors, that would be a big help.

Oh yea, I'm also hunting boletes up here too. Is it even possible to grow them domestically?

Thanks,

MTB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Morchella elata in Oregon [Re: Moon_Tea_Brewer]
    #1474144 - 04/19/03 09:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wrap the specimen in your printing materail. Allow the ends to be open for air exchange.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

Re: Morchella elata in Oregon [Re: Joshua]
    #1474242 - 04/19/03 10:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, just wrapped 5 in aluminum foil and set aside to sit. Is that all I have to do? No need to worry about contamination? If I want to make spore syringes, do I just scrape the spores off the aluminum into some sterilized water?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1474588 - 04/19/03 11:50 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You can also place them on a piece of paper and cover them with a cup or bowl to help increase humidity. If it's a bit dry, put a couple drops of water under there, too.

For sterility, don't leave it out where dust can settle on it - dust consists partially of spores. Growing morels indoors is difficult - very few people have succeeded. Try searching the net and you'll find some info.

Boletes have not been cultivated to the best of my knowledge. They are mycorrhizal, meaning that they form a symbiotic relationship with the roots of trees. Just because nobody has done it yet doesn't mean it's impossible. But expect that it won't be easy.

Good luck.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1476921 - 04/20/03 06:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You could try to make a syringe, but your chances of getting a sterile syringe are not very good. You should streak some spores onto agar and culture from there.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineMoon_Tea_Brewer
Stranger

#1476985 - 04/20/03 06:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well I wrapped 5 morels in aluminum tubes and let them sit overnight. I peeled one open to see what I could see, and there appears to be only condensation on the aluminum. Shouldn't I be able to see an accumulation of spores? I'm not exactly sure what color morel spore prints are.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#1477389 - 04/20/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I would increase the air flow or follow this suggestion from Morelmania.com :

Quote:

If you've never seen morel spores, here's an easy technique to use next spring. Take several morels that have open pits. In otherwords, the ridges that surround the pits are not close together. This won't work with most little grey mushrooms because they're not mature enough. Lay them on a sheet of dark plastic (like a garbage bag) inside your house near a window so that they get sunlight. Keep the window closed if it's a windy day because the wind will scatter the spores so that you can't see them. After a few minutes or even up to several hours you should see a white or yellow powder form under the mushrooms. If you carefully lift the mushroom you might even see the familiar pit pattern where the spores have fallen from the pits closest to the plastic.

You need to dry the specimens slowly. A friend dried his on a dehydrator w/o heat and received a large spore deposit on the drying racks. I would not suggest black plastic. I think it is suggested in that quote just to provide a dark background for viewing. Foil will be more practical for actually using the spores you collect. M. elata spores have a light creamy color.

Good luck!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification