Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics)
    #2606935 - 04/27/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I know we all have seen pictures of Morels before but many of you have probably not seen ones like this:

I finally found a morel pin... It is so beautiful...  :heartpump:
And here is a few more pictures I collected as well. I promised last year to post pictures of Morels in their natural habitat, but forgot my camera on every hunt...

This one was carted off in a HazMat container for later disposal:  :wink:

They are just starting to pop up here in my favorite hunting grounds. It is very difficult to see them through the leaves (the biggest was only 1.5" tall, with most still about 1/2"). In a few days or so I plan to head back to "site B" where I found these. In the meantime I will keep hunting the hills where they appear earlier than at this plot. Last year charvo and I were picking them by the handfuls there (at site B, which we nicknamed the valley). Hopefully they will return in full force like before. Still a bit too early and cold (it just snowed last night, that's why im not out there today Brrrrr!).

Edit: Can anyone tell me what kind of moss that is in the pictures?

--------------------
To give is to live...

Edited by ATWAR (04/27/04 04:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineiluan
Keep your stickon the ice.
Male User Gallery

Loc: lookin at crazy in the re...
Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: ATWAR]
    #2606970 - 04/27/04 04:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Nice find, and nice pics!

--------------------
Remember..if the women don't find ya handsome,they should atleast find ya handy!

I do what i can with what i don't have!

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: iluan]
    #2607124 - 04/27/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Nice finds,, and great pics,,,, what type of trees are they near.. also....
General location please,,, AtWar.... just want to know
how far north they have come?????? I have never found a morel ....

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: nofind_um]
    #2607722 - 04/27/04 07:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The dominant type of tree is poplar. General location: Northern Michigan. If you want to just go out looking for morels, then you will most likely not find any. They are one of the trickiest mushrooms to find, if you do not know a spot.

1 - Ask around to people in your general area. Most will not tell you where there spot is, but you may get a hint...

2 - Look for the trees. This will point you in the right direction. Poplars and Aspens are the best here. I never find them growing in the vicinity of conifers, only deciduous woods exclusively.

3 - Look at the ground, they generally prefer sandy soils. More specifically, low clay content sandy base with 1-3" rich topsoil and sand mix. Not your regular woodland topsoil... Also, about 50% of the ones I collect are found with moss. This usually indicates good shady spots, with good moisture, but is not required.

4 - Look for rolling terrain. These types of areas generally produce slopes or mounds that Morels favor. You will usually find the majority here provided habitat is correct. Raised mounds generally are clear of leaves because of wind, making Morels easy to spot. They usually prefer the most shaded of sides. Sloped and rolling terrain is best.

5 - Watch burned areas. I have read many times that Morels grow in recently burned areas, but I have never found this to be true. The places I find morels show evidence of a burn, but long ago (every place I collect in fact, but it must have burned many years before, never recently). This is perhaps why the soil is so different in these areas. There is a section of woods where I hunt that burned last year and is just starting to grow back. This place is so close to my hunting spot that I plan to investigate it over the next couple of years to see how well mushrooms flourish there, and if morels show up...

6 - Your season must be good. During the beginning of spring frequent freezing and thawing and large temperature fluctuations will make for a good morel crop. Plenty of rain early in the year is essential (especially if there is not much snow melt).

7 - Don't be disappointed if you don't find any. If you ask me, they are one of the most elusive mushrooms. Do not use this list as a guide, but perhaps as a compass to point you in the right direction. Morels can be found in the most unpredictable places, you may even find them in your backyard...

P.S. - We are talking the Black Morel here. Other species can and will vary. I have one site that will produce all three, but that is the only place I know - site "B" only grows blacks. Last year I found all three at one site in the same day:

There are many more hints im sure, but this is the most common elements in the areas where I know where to find them, and what I look for when I go searching for new areas.

I bid you good hunting...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2608178 - 04/27/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Are you sure that middle one isn't a Verpa?
The cap doesn't look attached at the base to the stalk, maybe it's the half attached morel, Morchella semilibera?
I don't know, this was the first year I ever found morels, just tryin to get a feel for it.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: @cro]
    #2608389 - 04/27/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

indeed... that last pic, the middle mushie looks like the poisonous look a like... the cap isnt attached to the stem.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: @cro]
    #2608391 - 04/27/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yes. If you read carefully, it is a picture of all 3 main species of Morchella, collected in the same day. The middle one is the Half-free Morel, Morchella semiliberia...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: Psilygirl]
    #2608415 - 04/27/04 10:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
indeed... that last pic, the middle mushie looks like the poisonous look a like... the cap isnt attached to the stem.

The cap is attached to the stem, halfway up the cap and at the top, but not forming any type of chamber. The stem should be the only hollow spot. That was last year anyway... Look at the poisonous look-alike in the first sequence of images...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2609121 - 04/28/04 12:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Great find and photos. And an excellent list of tips for finding morels.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2609524 - 04/28/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think gray morels are one of the hardest mushrooms to find. In order to keep my morale up when looking for greys, sometimes I pretend that I am scouting for yellows.

It may help to dose before a hunt, to polish the third eye. That way you can keep one eye on the ground, one eye on the tree trunks and one eye on the tree canopy.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #2609611 - 04/28/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

cool, thanks for the info... i'm still trying to learn about morels! only found 2, ever!

good find, nice pics! thanks for sharing pics and info

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2610374 - 04/28/04 04:35 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
I think gray morels are one of the hardest mushrooms to find. In order to keep my morale up when looking for greys, sometimes I pretend that I am scouting for yellows.

Grey Morel? I am under the interpretation that these mushrooms are the Black morel in the early stages. The ones I have observed start out a little bit on the yellow side (notice the pin in the first post, this is the first time I have observed them this small), then turn to a light tan-grey, eventually darkening brown-tan and then fully black when mature. I also follow what I have read on MushroomExpert.com that Morchella angusticeps is the true black Morel. I have books that state otherwise, some that show other species, and some that have multiple names for the same. Every book has slightly different versions of the morel, but still similar enough. I think that there are only the three main species that we find (some exceptions), with minor variations. These variations are most likely due to the wide range of the Morel, and its odd choice of different habitats. I know there are other species such as atretomentosa (a morel I am very interested about), but mainly most people find the usual ones:

Morchella angusticeps (or Morchella elata)
Morchella esculenta
Morchella semilibera

I do not really believe in all the different species names I have read for these very similar mushrooms. For example: Morchella conica, Morchella angusticeps, Morchella elata. With pit size and conical cap shapes spitting the species into a complex. I have found round shaped black morels, could I have found a new species? I don't think so; they come in all shapes and sizes, even large color variances depending on how much light they get. The yellow morel is a bit more complicated as I have read about different spore print colors (deep orange and cream-yellow respectively). These types of differences would, in my opinion, split them into a complex (but even then they could still be considered a species variant). But the yellow also has types where later in the year they are found larger and called Morchella crassipes (thick footed), and younger ones lighter in color are Morchella delicioso (white). This is all very confusing and should be combined IMO. If there are major macroscopic or microscopic differences then fine, different species. But some of this appears to be just environmental adaptation and different stages of growth than true species differences.

Indeed further DNA research will sort this taxon out for us. In the meantime, I will go with what I have observed in the wild, and what I have read... Edit: If I am wrong, please enlighten me...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2610963 - 04/28/04 12:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yes you are right. The "lil' grays" are young blacks.

As far as usable data, I think the following taxons of true morels are all you need to know.

Taxon # 1
The "standard" yellow morel, apparently comparable to what has traditionally given the European species name Morchella esculenta.

Taxon # 5
The "standard" black morel, apparently transcontinental, perhaps representing Morchella angusticeps

That is all you'll need to know east of the great plains, but in western US, you should also know:

The "burnsite" morel and the "landscaping" morel.

Source: http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/morels/carter_legend.html

Incidentally, taxon 12 is the "round" capped morel you speak of.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2611738 - 04/28/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Dr Nancy Smith Weber is the authority on these mushrooms and their relatives. She is one of the main researchers using molecular biology (DNA) to resolve which of these are really the same species or need to be kept separate, as well as placing them into genera as they should be. I attended a lecture by her a bit over a year ago where she spoke on the current status of the taxonomy of the morels and false morels. It sounds like there are a few more years of research to go before they publish their results.

In the meantime, she recommends that we use common names for all of these, as they are at least as accurate as the scientific names are currently. She also stated that a lot of these mushrooms are going to be moving to different genera, so expect the scientific names to change significantly for a lot of these. I guess I'm saying that we shouldn't get caught up trying to guess which species each of these are. Instead, use common names where you know them, or feel free to make up new, appropriate names for varieties that you can't find a name for.

Incidentally, the professional morel pickers in the northwest seem to identify about 12 species of morels, including blue and green morels. I seem to recall that they consider green morels the best tasting as well as having the densest flesh (important when you're being paid by the pound for the mushrooms you're picking).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Morchella, oh how I love you... (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2613157 - 04/28/04 10:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Your posts never cease to amaze me. I only know of the common ones and few of the others you speak of. But, I have never found any but blacks, half-free morels, and yellows. This is what I mean, has research shown yet that there are significant DNA differences between different forms of these main species? MushroomExpert.com really is vague on what has been discovered through preliminary testing. I would be interested in reading about these other types of morels, if there is any literature on them. I would love to see a blue morel.

Kind of disappointing that there is a few more years of research before we get the results in final form (and even then they could be subject to later revision). This has been chewing away at me for years already, I wish you would have left that part out... :frown:

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2617018 - 04/29/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

She didn't seem to want to talk much about results so far. So I have no idea how many species of true morels we'll end up with. On the positive side, with DNA testing I think we will finally have definitve answers on what species there are. I suspect that the area most subject to future revision will be the taxonomic tree structure above species (genus, family, etc.).

My impression was that blue and green morels aren't actually blue or green (or at most have only a subtle tint of color), but are actually varieties of black morels.

The areas I suspect will receive the greatest changes will be moving mushrooms around among Gyromitra, Helvella, Verpa, Discina, Peziza, etc. She seems committed to making sure that there will be ways to tell the genera and species apart without using DNA testing, so there will probably be some good keys for it. The question in my mind has always been the persons who will follow up on this research. It seems inevitable that someday the only accepted way to identify some fungi will be a DNA test.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecharvo
JOURNEYMAN
Male

Loc: In The Hand Of The World
    #2617870 - 04/29/04 07:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

dude i can't beleive you seen that little pin man that is just nuts.i hope we get some rain that'll sure help things out down here,the ground is rly dry.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification