Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Fun things to do in FL around Christmas
    #13673760 -

I'm going down to FL for Christmas, specifically New Smyrna Beach (10 min south of Daytona) where my grandparents have a condo. It's an absolutely beautiful area, as well as being the shark attack capital of the world.

The first year we went there they got a condo on the beach, which sucked. You can only stand the completely desolate ocean for so long, not to mention the salt water spray and sand.

For the past 4 years, they've had a condo on the inlet, which is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Very nice condo right up against the inlet, huge cabin cruisers and charter boats passing by constantly. Good fishing off of their 800ft boardwalk and small pier.

Anyways... I've been looking for something fun to do while we are down there. I've been to the Kennedy Space Center like 5 times and every time was exactly the same.

I did find a guy that offers guided airboat rides through the everglades for $45 a person for a 90 minute tour. I've been on anything from sailboats to 4000 hp 50ft Baja's and Fountains, but I've never been on an airboat and I've always wanted to.

Any other ideas? I'd love to go deep sea fishing, but I don't want to get out 40 miles off shore and have it be 50 degrees with wind. It doesn't bother me at all, since I used to troll for striper in 25-30 degree weather, but my dad and brother don't want to be too cold.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Edited by WakeboardrB (12/22/10 11:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13673941 -

How far away from New Smyrna are you willing to go/what kinds of things would you be interested in? I live in Florida but pretty much mainly know things to do around Orlando.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: electricfeel]
    #13674125 -

Pretty much within an hour vicinity give or take. I've been to Kennedy Space Center more times than I can count. I've been deep water fishing, although I'd like to do that again.

I'm thing this airboat tour might be cool as hell. An a air boat is the one boat I've never been on.

I've been on 150 ft yachts, to Fountains to a 4x 300hp mecury outboard's.

I wanted to do a guided tour out in deep water, but it's been quite a while since I've been on the ocean. I don't want to spend a grand just to be sick all day and catch a few tuna.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Edited by WakeboardrB (12/23/10 01:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13676206 -

I'm like 30min from New Smyrna. There isn't a lot going on this time of year. There are a lot of places to go kayaking and hiking if you like doing that. Fishing is always a good time except it has been really cold lately. There are some good concerts coming up around Florida pretty soon.

I've wanted to rent an air boat since I moved to Florida. Before I moved here I thought everyone had an air boat and I would be riding in them on a weekly basis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: Lophosaurus]
    #13676222 -

Do.you.golf?...Lots.of.good.golf.courses.in.FL.

Catch.soe.alligators.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: Gumby]
    #13676257 -

ctrl-c someone else's space, and then ctrl-v it each time you need a space. :lol:

OP: South Beach is pretty aweosome.  Can't miss at least one night down there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13676278 -

WakeboardrB said:
I did find a guy that offers guided airboat rides through the everglades for $45 a person for a 90 minute tour


You do realize that the everglades is quite a drive from New Smyrna?  Probably the closest tour from there is almost a 3-4 hour car ride.
If they are claiming they are taking you through the everglades, they are Bullshitting you if they are close to NSB.

http://www.hauntsofdaytona.com/
www.daytonafleamarket.com
http://marinesciencecenter.com/&nbsp; <---------right next to you
http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Fan-Info/Tours.aspx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: BothHands]
    #13676309 -

BothHands said:
ctrl-c someone else's space, and then ctrl-v it each time you need a space. :lol:

OP: South Beach is pretty aweosome.  Can't miss at least one night down there.



I.tried.that.and.for.whatever.reason.it.doesn't.work.

I.have.started.doing.that.for.the."m".key.though.It.doesn't.help.that.the.left.ctrl.key.is.broken.too

...This.shit.is.so.ghetto.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: Gumby]
    #13676335 -

Lies!

A troll has hacked Gumby's account!

:haha:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #13676516 -

MadSeasonAbove said:
WakeboardrB said:
I did find a guy that offers guided airboat rides through the everglades for $45 a person for a 90 minute tour


You do realize that the everglades is quite a drive from New Smyrna?  Probably the closest tour from there is almost a 3-4 hour car ride.
If they are claiming they are taking you through the everglades, they are Bullshitting you if they are close to NSB.




I might have overstated the everglades bit. Anyways, it's about an hour away. It's in Christmas, just west of Titusville, so it's only a little ways away from the glades.

Either way, it looks awesome, making a reservation right now.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13685831 -

Well FUCK. Had to cancel the air boat trip. The high today is only going to be 51 degrees with winds up to 30mph.

Right now it's like 40 degrees.

I came to Florida to get away from this fucking weather.

:crankey:

Now I have to find something else to do. I guess I'll go fishing. Right when we got here last night, a lady caught 2 stingrays off the dock. Never seen someone catch a stingray before.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13685885 -

Stingrays are commonly hooked in FL, almost as common as catfish.  They put up a nice fight too, but are more of a nuisance than anything.  I can always tell when I hook a ray, they don't play around with your bait, they just take it and make a B-line. 

Watch out for the dock pylons!  or, you'll be left with nothing but line.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB] * 1
    #13685951 -

I usually get hammered on the beach and throw chunks of fruit cake at the seagulls. You should try it.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13686324 -

Shit, too windy to fish too. We're getting like 30-40mph gusts.

Went to the Ponce inlet lighthouse earlier. Man at the top on the walkway portion I almost got blown over. It was like a damn hurricane.

Pretty cool though.

But this sucks, all the things I wanted to do down here, I can't. Hopefully it won't be as windy tomorrow so I can do a little fishing.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: Gumby]
    #13686482 -

Gumby said:
BothHands said:
ctrl-c someone else's space, and then ctrl-v it each time you need a space. :lol:

OP: South Beach is pretty aweosome.  Can't miss at least one night down there.



I.tried.that.and.for.whatever.reason.it.doesn't.work.

I.have.started.doing.that.for.the."m".key.though.It.doesn't.help.that.the.left.ctrl.key.is.broken.too

...This.shit.is.so.ghetto.




hahahah you're such a diehard! :rofl2:


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13688239 -

Well I did end up fishing a bit. It was SO FUCKING WINDY. Only stayed out there for about 30 min and caught 3 small sheepshead. If they were decent size I would have kept them (they're fucking delicious).

Called it quits after that, the wind was just too strong. And I'm the kinda guy that used to go out fishing in 25-30 degree weather at 5am. But that was with zero wind (unless you count blasting down the lake on a 200hp outboard fishing boat at 70mph).

The wind was just to much. I'm so glad I decided not to bring my fly rod, FUCK THAT SHIT!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If the wind is manageable, it will be a lot more tolerable.

So I called it quits, got a bottle of Bacardi 151 and have been having fun since.

Oh yeah, I did go to the Ponce Inlet light tower. That was pretty cool. At the very top (something like 150ft up) there was a walkway you could go out on. I got out there to take pictures and it felt like I was getting blasted by hurricane force winds. I was literally standing sideways trying to keep my footing.

I'll post photos of the light house when I get home.


Still bummed about the air boat ride. I was REALLY excited about it. But what are you going to do. It was 40 degrees all day with sustained winds of 20-25 and gusts of over 30.

COLD AS FUCK.

In fact it's just barely warmer in VA when we left yesterday morning.  :thumbdown:


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Edited by WakeboardrB (12/26/10 08:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #13688329 -

Awe that sucks.

But personally, I'm LOVING the cold.  Nice break from the other 360 days of repressive heat and humidity.  We've been keeping all the windows open, so it's like 50F inside.  Sooo nice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: BothHands]
    #13688335 -

This weather is ridiculous, it was actually snowing when I was walking to work earlier today.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas [Re: blewmeanie]
    #13688388 -

Wow, I wish it would snow around here.

Had a high of 64 today in Miami.  Should get down to 35 tonight though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fun things to do in FL around Christmas *DELETED* [Re: BothHands]
    #13688486 -

Post deleted by alexithymia

Reason for deletion: xyz


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Happy Christmas
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Ripple 12,071 83 12/25/05 08:18 PM
by GabbaDj
* The Offical Christmas Thread ? ? 2004
( 1 2 3 4 all )
JettaJay 6,465 60 12/25/04 03:13 AM
by Skunk420
* Awesome/ cool Christmas/holiday tradions/ideas. shwowsh 873 2 09/30/03 06:50 PM
by BluMonkee
* Ctrl + X The_Ghost 946 7 12/19/11 02:26 AM
by p_walter
* Christmas??? Jim 936 19 12/12/04 01:02 PM
by kadakuda
* the CTRL button doesnt work Atheist 1,063 13 03/13/07 05:45 PM
by coda
* CTRL + F JunkFood 883 9 09/03/07 07:31 PM
by Apollyphelion
* What did you get/give for christmas?
( 1 2 3 all )
Adom 3,669 42 12/26/04 08:34 PM
by ekomstop

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,594 topic views. 5 members, 24 guests and 130 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.184 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.