Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

female seeds?
    #1305560 - 02/13/03 10:55 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

how would one go about making all your seeds female(weed seeds), it has always intrested me and i have not been able to figure it out

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: female seeds? [Re: ]
    #1305705 - 02/13/03 11:59 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

>it has always intrested me and i have not been able to figure it out

I'm sure many botanists ponder the same thing. I have a strong feeling it has not been figured out yet and it is left to the luck of the draw in good ol genetics.

I know average incubation temperature controls male/female hatch rates in crocodile eggs... that's about all the help I have to offer.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International
    #1305984 - 02/13/03 01:43 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Getting 100% female seeds is impossible, to my knowledge. Some growers use giberellic acid to increase germination rate and there have been reports of successful conversions of males to females. I have no experience with giberellic acid so if I were you I'd search overgrow and erowid.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #1306033 - 02/13/03 02:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You're pretty much left up to chance. Pollen will either have the genes to produce males or females, and sometimes hermaphrodite (as a result of mutagenesis) Hermaphrodites are not uncommon, as many flowering angiosperm plants are hermaphroditic.

Mr_Mushrooms has posted a picture of a flower here somewhere, as you see there are both male and female parts of the flower, anther and psitil respectively.

Giberellic Acid can be used to help increase germination rate, but it must be used with care and be sure it's not present once the embryo has germinated. Because GA will cause "Foolish Seedling Syndrome" basically your plant will grow too tall too fast become top heavy topple over and die.

History Lesson: Gibberellic Acid was first discovered in China, because a fungus called Gibberella was infecting rice shoots and causing them to grow tall really fast and topple over and die. Later WWII research was done in the west regarding this, and showed what the Chinese already had determined but no published. The same chemical the fungus produces is the same chemical, Gibberellic Acid as it's now called, the Embryo uses to signal the Aluerone (part of the 3N (triploid) endosperm) to produce Hydrolitic enzymes to break down the Starchy part of the endosperm so the embryo can absorbe it and begin growing and ultimately germinate the seed.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1306168 - 02/13/03 03:16 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps something to do with this?
Cannabis Culture #41
A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites - declared males that eventually sport female flowers - as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrances, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1306367 - 02/13/03 04:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

If you search for "feminized seeds" on google you should be able to find what you want. There are a couple chemicals which increase females/males very succesfully.

Anonymous

Re: female seeds? [Re: neuro]
    #1306948 - 02/14/03 12:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1310508 - 02/15/03 06:39 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Dutch passion was the 1st to do it. And yea its possible and they did it.Check it out

In the genus Cannabis the difference between male and female plants is not sharply defined. Plants can be basic male, basic female or hermaphroditic. Hermaphrodites may appear in any stage from pre-flowering till the end of the plants life cycle. Hermaphrodites may start as female plants that later form a single male branch, male flowers everywhere in the female buds, or other variations.

Apart from hermaphrodites, male flowers also will be formed on basic female plants under certain conditions at the very end of their life cycle. When female plants are not fertilized at the very end of their life cycle, they will form male flowers to pollinate themselves, so assuring offspring for the next season.

For Dutch Passion's first experiments on "female seeds", they used this phenomenon to produce their first generation100% "female seeds". They used different stress methods to induce the formation of male flowers on basic female plants and used this "female pollen" to fertilize female plants. Although the seeds produced by this method were 100% female, they did not find this method produced enough female pollen to produce the "female seeds".

Other methods were tested to create 100% "female seeds" all involved agents that were applied to basic female plants to induce the formation of male flowers on these plants. For their experiments they tested four different agents, one agent of hormonal origin and three non hormonal agents.

They found that the hormonal agent was very hard to work with, although in their experiments, male flowers were formed on basic female plants. Negative effects of the hormone used were:
1) Elongated growth of the plants. The normal growth of the plants was severely affected by the application of the hormone.
2) The quantity of "female pollen" produced by using the hormone, was larger than by the stress method. however much smaller than by using non hormonal agents.

They found that the best way to produce female seeds was by applying non-homonal agents. By this method they produced their second generation of female seeds. Positive effects of the non hormonal agents used are:
1) The two non hormonal agents they used did not interfere with normal growth of the female plants.
2) Quantities of "female" pollen produced by application of these non hormonal agents are sufficient to produce "female seeds" in quantity.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1310869 - 02/16/03 02:32 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It is actually quite a simple process unless your wanting to mass produce seeds for sale. What you are going to want to do is stress your favorite female into producing male flowers. This is usually done by increasing the heat (but not too much). You can also leave a non-pollinated plant in the flowering cycle for extended periods as sometimes they will produce male pollen on their own. This is not always the case and sometimes requires over-ripening of the plant (undesired). Once male flowers have formed and are almost ripe (open), cut them off and place them between sheets of paper. Reduce stress conditions. You want to get the male flowers off the original female because it should not be allowed to pollinate itself. This will also allow you to control how many seeds are produced.

The male flowers should open on their own, even when cut from the plant. Collect the pollen and "paint" it on the pistols of a different plant with a small paintbrush. Viola ! Female seeds will be produced due to the pollen having female genetics.

In SDYDK's experience, better breeding comes from true male - female crosses.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: female seeds? [Re: resin]
    #1311158 - 02/16/03 06:17 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I would see that this would reslut in imbreading... although i've read many cases were people were trying to imbread their plants to produce super potent plants. However i've never actually seen this done nor know the actual result.

Very interesting post!

OfflineCrayzzieShroomz
the MilkMAnne...

#1354702 - 03/06/03 09:29 AM (21 years, 28 days ago)

That's not possible man...How can it be possible? I can think of absolutely no way that it can even come close. Someone should figure it out though...

--------------------
You live and You SHROOM......

Anonymous

Re: female seeds? [Re: Cherk]
    #1357412 - 03/08/03 04:22 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

Female seeds is not impossible. Take two female plants that are desireable. Stress them by water and light deprivation. Bring them to the brink of death then bring them back. Do this a couple times. Weak plants might die. Induce flowering. You should have stressed them into becoming hermaphrodidic. So now you have all female genes in male flowers. Its the plants last effort to reproduce. So take the pollen and cross. You will have all female seeds due to all female genes. Its proven. You can also take flowering plants indoors regreen back into veg. Then induce flowereing. Do this while letting the plant dry out a lot. then take care of it like it was your lil girl.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale