Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Old Negroe Spirituals
    #12695953 -

Hi there kiddos,

I am trying to make a Grateful Dead Cd for my neighbor which contains many of the old-school type songs. For instance, Gomorrah, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, etc.

Could you help me find these types of Grateful Dead songs. If you can, tell me the year, and the name of the song so I can locate it on the archive.

He is 80 years old - loves the dead - this would be the greatest gift I could offer the old gent. Please help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #12695961 -

search on archive.org, i'm no expert on that type of music, id din't even know they did them

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: sleepy]
    #12696014 -
Log in to view attachment

brother, the archive is jam-packed full of jams. I am looking for a deadhead to narrow my search with their extensive knowledge of the dead progression

from 1970 Golden Hall Community Center

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #12696140 -

No kidding, I'm sure I've spent days just comparing concert recordings from the 70s :lol:

I'll see if I have any good ones, I don't have a lot of folksy dead but I've got a few shows.


--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: NizzyJones]
    #12696154 -

Not exactly what you had in mind I'm sure but this show has some good acoustic dead stuff: http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-05-01.sbd.clugston.5465.sbeok.shnf

If you don't know how to download soundboards from the archive: if you change the word 'details' to 'download' you can see the directory listing and download files from there - I usually go with the variable bit-rate mp3s (VBR MP3)


--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: NizzyJones]
    #12696157 -

you may want to look into just Jerry Garica's solo projects. Also, I am not to familiar with a lot of old spirtuals, ut they played a lot of OLD folk songs. Samson and Delia for instance doesn't really have an author, but many attribute it to Rev. Gary Davis.

In the pines they played in the 1960s is often attributed to Leadbelly and has several names "Black Girl," or "Where did you sleep last night"

I have a copy of David Grisman and Jerry Garcia doing Freight Train, and old elizabeth cotten song. Elizabeth born in the 19th century taught her self gutiar left handed growing up and stoped playing in the 1920s due to the church telling her the gutiar was devils music, but was to be rediscovered by Mike Seeger in the 1950s.

EDIT:
After a quick google search I have a better list, It doesn't look complete, and I dont know about the spirituals. But you can argue spirituals through the use of blues and certain folk covers if you wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grateful_Dead_cover_versions


--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Edited by C20H25N3O (06/06/10 09:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: NizzyJones]
    #12696219 -

Thank you guys for the feedback. I just want to songs with a spiritual essence to them - "A voice from on High" "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" "Gomorrah". One could argue that ALL dead tunes are spiritual but I want some overt lyrics.

That said, how do I download from the archive. I can only stream. Where is the "download" button? or 'details" button.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: NizzyJones]
    #12696247 -

NizzyJones said:
If you don't know how to download soundboards from the archive: if you change the word 'details' to 'download' you can see the directory listing and download files from there - I usually go with the variable bit-rate mp3s (VBR MP3)

E.g.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-05-01.sbd.clugston.5465.sbeok.shnf
TO >>
http://www.archive.org/download/gd70-05-01.sbd.clugston.5465.sbeok.shnf






Here is a slightly more advanced method if you are on linux and can run and understand shell scripting.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
find . -type f -iname *.m3u | while read list; do
cd $(dirname $list)
wget -i $(basename $list)
cd..
done



What it does is read in the name of an .m3u which has links to the files and downloads them.


--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #12696260 -



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #12696450 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #12696667 -

Oh hell yeah, I'm all about those. Here are some links, not GD, but you should just keep them anyway:







(Mississippi John Hurt & Pete Seeger had an awesome jam of that ^, but it got nabbed by the police!)





The next one is newer and a bit hokey but worth listening too IMO







--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Old Negroe Spirituals [Re: PyroBurns]
    #12696685 -

If my internet was faster then -12 kbps I would be downloading all of this.


--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Grateful Dead Downloads Will Be Restored at Archive.org Noviseer 2,470 7 12/02/05 04:58 PM
by geokills
* Internet Archive? TheCow 744 3 05/10/06 05:08 PM
by Krishna
* Most Grateful Dead removed from www.archive.org
( 1 2 all )
nookjohn 4,771 27 11/23/05 06:34 PM
by Gr8fulJ420
* Does anyone have any soundboard recordings of the dead circa jimmy herring era? pantsboy 1,100 9 11/11/07 11:36 PM
by pantsboy
* Magic Mushrooms Have "Spiritual Effects" in White House Study motamanM 2,550 14 07/15/06 12:28 AM
by Dreamer987
* Jack Black soundboard. *DELETED* thoughts 666 1 10/15/07 01:45 PM
by enesi
* archive downloading live music CubensisCutter 449 3 02/01/06 09:22 PM
by ipickPA
* The Countercoulture of the 1960's Spanki 630 8 07/22/07 09:20 PM
by mycogirl

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,112 topic views. 3 members, 11 guests and 241 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.