Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? * 2
    #12620596 -

I'm curious how many people here perceive our nation's drug laws as running counter to their freedom to practice religion as granted by the first and fourteenth amendments to the U.S. Constitution.  Personally, I do. My religion is the religious experience of being myself, a human being all my own who breathes the air and walks the earth and loves and feels and cries and eventually dies.  My religion is the religion of taking my life as being a very blessed thing, and feeling it is a privilege to be here and now. My religion has many practices - yoga, meditation, what I eat, what I read, what I write, and the ingestion of various alchemical agents that allow me access to non-ordinary states of consciousness. This last part is an extremely important part of the religious experience of being myself, even if I only do it infrequently now.

Who gets to decide what a religion is? Why is it that, in the eyes of government, religion is something that is inherently organized and has dogma, structure? Why does a religion need a place of worship? My religion's place of worship is Here and Now, always.  I am the sole follower of my religion and I seek to push it on no one else, but I respect the religions of being yogabunny and being blissedout and being supernovasky and being Brugman.

I truly feel that psychedelics/entheogens absolutely re-contextualize religion in the framework of the individual.  Society is going to have to catch up to this.
Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom to practice your religion?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 05/24/10 02:57 PM until the end of time
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll



--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12620624 -

Yes, that's EXACTLY the way I feel about it.

Thank you for putting it into words.


--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Kada]
    #12620652 -

Kada said:
Yes, that's EXACTLY the way I feel about it.

Thank you for putting it into words.



and that is exactly the way i feel about this post.

thanks for putting it into words :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Kada]
    #12620661 -

Kada said:
Yes, that's EXACTLY the way I feel about it.




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: MOTH]
    #12620689 -

No, I think this nation's drug laws are messed up but not anything to do with religion or spirituality.


However, I do think that they curb the availability of potentially spiritual chemicals.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Kada]
    #12620707 -

Kada said:
Yes, that's EXACTLY the way I feel about it.

Thank you for putting it into words.



Me thinks his latest trip may have something to do with this post :shoosh:

When are ya gonna post up your trip report OMR 

:waits:


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: niteowl]
    #12620727 -

I'm finishing it tonight, and then I need to fire it off to my editor. I'd say give me until the end of the week.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: suburbanned] * 1
    #12620732 -

For the most part religions have two aspects, one is a way of getting closer to God, the other is a system of social control. IMO, it isn't the former that the government respects, but the latter.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: domite]
    #12620745 -

yes they are fucking with me reaching the level of spirituality i desire, how do we make them stop?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: domite] * 1
    #12620749 -

You can have freedom of religion but it has to be a religion they agree with.

:facepalm3:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: suburbanned]
    #12620750 -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogen

Psychedelics are a religion.  The most spiritual I've ever been was while tripping on acid with very close friends, dancing to good live music.  The energy you feel from the music, the crowd, the band, and the psychedelics are impossible to describe.  Its the most alive I've ever felt, and the connection you feel is a spiritual experience IMO.  God damn war on drugs:sad:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12620815 -

See I believe mind manifesting drugs offer some insight into spirituality and more importantly, self awareness, but I don't think that's the reason they're illegal.

From a harm reduction perspective, I can understand (but in no way condone) the governments stance regarding drugs. I'm pretty sure if alcohol and tobacco weren't so ingrained in culture they would also be illegal too (I made a post a while back about making alcohol illegal to destroy prohibition from the inside out, but even the members here were very verbally against it). Over here, we recently had the explosion of mephedrone into the mainstream, such that people who would never normally ingest illicit drugs were abusing it. It can be an entactogenic experience (like mdma, ma and cocaine can be - at least to some degree).. but hedonism seems intrinsic to the human experience, at least in everything we as a society strive for, and what was once careful use soon descended into an orgy of hedonism and self gratification in nearly all circles of use.

On an individual basis, I believe in absolute freedom, provided it does not harm anyone or anything else around you, however, when placed into perspective of a whole society I can understand how this idea begins to falter and the need for legislation comes into being.

From my perspective, the legality of something makes no difference, especially in terms of use. I mean, provided that I'm not dealing in or some how profiting from the experience, no authority is going to bat an eyelid at what I do in the middle of nowhere.. and even if they are to stumble across me and my merry band of fuck-heads, I highly doubt they will care enough to take any further action.

Ultimately, I don't think psychedelic drugs should be central to any religious practice. Yes, I can understand their use a catalyst, but I don't think any true long term gratification will come from their use alone, at least without a somewhat spiritual context and an active effort to integrate the lessons learned in the experience into your everyday life.

No law will ever prevent me from practicing and participating in what I believe in, and I imagine this statement holds true for the entirety of humanity.


--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Cepheus] * 1
    #12620860 -

Hey Ceph,

Thanks for the thoughtful post.  First off I want to point out that I didn't say I believed that was the reason for their illegality, but merely that the infringement upon my freedom of religion is a byproduct of their legal status. I do believe that on a very subconscious level their illegality is rooted in fear of the unknown and the need of those in power to preserve the status quo, but frankly they are illegal because of people's real and sometimes valid fears as to their dangers to health and to public safety.  And because people were very irresponsible with them at a tumultuous time in our nation's history.

However, the government's stance towards drugs makes NO sense from, as you say, a harm reduction perspective. There are years' worth of studies and clear evidence that shows the drug war hurts more people than it helps. The drug war is the anti-harm-reduction.  The drug war is my anti-drug. :wink: The drug war tears families and communities apart and persecutes the user as a criminal instead of viewing drugs as a public health problem.

Cepheus said:
Ultimately, I don't think psychedelic drugs should be central to any religious practice. Yes, I can understand their use a catalyst, but I don't think any true long term gratification will come from their use alone, at least without a somewhat spiritual context and an active effort to integrate the lessons learned in the experience into your everyday life.

No law will ever prevent me from practicing and participating in what I believe in, and I imagine this statement holds true for the entirety of humanity.



As the great scholar of the world's religions Huston Smith once said, "While it's clear that drugs can produce religious experiences, it's less clear that they can produce religious lives."  Yes. It seems abundantly clear to me that simply consuming psychedelics/entheogens is not going to give you a spiritual life. Integration and intention are even more important, in my view, than the experiences themselves. Act II, the experience, is where all the action happens. But Act I, the stage-setting of intention and preparation, and Act III, the integration of what you learn into your daily life for the betterment of yourself and society - these acts are far more important than the eight hours one spends outside of time.  However, psychedelics/entheogens do have a place within a large framework of religious practice.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Cepheus]
    #12620878 -

Cepheus said:
No law will ever prevent me from practicing and participating in what I believe in, and I imagine this statement holds true for the entirety of humanity.




But those laws *will* prevent some people from practicing what they believe in within an atmosphere of freedom from fear of persecution and imprisonment.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12620892 -

I feel the nations drug laws tread upon my freedom to exercise me freedom

shouldnt that be more than enough

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12620900 -

:thumbup:


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12620928 -

prisoner has never tripped. :haha:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12620929 -

In the Governments terms, your religion isn't a genuine religion though. It's your way of life, but I don't think you can call it a religion, so I don't feel that drug laws tread on freedom of religion. I do believe that they tread on my personal freedoms to alter my self, but I don't think that religion comes into it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12620938 -

What ever happened to Obama's promise to "look at" the drug laws for possible revision?  That was just another bullshit line to get in this country's pants, wasn't it?


--------------------
ShiVersblood said:
shut ur fucking mouth. before a penis is are be enters

LordSenate said:
Cheese poop... Who gives a fuck gotta eat lots of cheese.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you feel that this nation's drug laws tread on your freedom of religion? [Re: mongo lloyd]
    #12620944 -

mongo lloyd said:
In the Governments terms, your religion isn't a genuine religion though. It's your way of life, but I don't think you can call it a religion, so I don't feel that drug laws tread on freedom of religion. I do believe that they tread on my personal freedoms to alter my self, but I don't think that religion comes into it.



"Religion is the belief in and worship of a god or gods, or any such system of belief and worship, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

So why does the government get to tell me that my religion isn't a religion?


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Jamaican Drug Laws, Harsh/ Leniant? fjbk47985 2,949 12 03/12/03 06:04 AM
by fjbk47985
* The Rise in the Use of Hallucinogenic Drugs in the 1990s I_Fart_Blue 2,925 9 10/03/16 04:31 PM
by g00ru
* Drug Test Your Teen Dot Com carbonhoots 5,696 12 01/02/04 02:16 AM
by Anno
* Some stuff. It's about drugs. Phluck 2,744 17 07/14/23 10:51 AM
by theRealrollforever
* I feel so silly... CeeEssGee 1,153 11 11/20/03 12:25 AM
by Osker246
* Drugs are needed for our society to continue...
( 1 2 all )
DailyPot 6,584 23 03/06/17 09:13 PM
by triphead9428
* Feeling like the oppression is really getting to you? MOTH 2,208 15 11/20/03 05:51 AM
by Lightningfractal
* Growing out of drugs? ShroomyMcPot 2,705 11 03/08/04 01:10 PM
by scotsman1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,434 topic views. 1 members, 12 guests and 73 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.043 seconds spending 0.024 seconds on 21 queries.