Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Immanuel Kant.
    #11619614 -

So I'm sort of new to the whole reading works of philosophy thing, but I picked up this book "A Critique of Pure Reason" at my library after someone suggested I read it.

Anyway I really like Kant we seem to be on the same wavelength, except he was a far better writer and probably a hell of alot smarter than me.:lol:

So I was wondering, knowing that I enjoy this book, does anyone have any other suggestions?

The only philosophers that I've really read before this were Plato and Heidegger.(Oh and of course all of you assholes.:grin:)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser



Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11619702 -

Read "A Treatise of Human Nature" by David Hume, my fav philo.


--------------------
143/0x63/99...It's like watching the mycelium grow...
WARNING: You must be 21 years of age to experience hallucinations.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: myco99]
    #11619773 -

don't read, THINK!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11619798 -

awesomebastard said:
So I'm sort of new to the whole reading works of philosophy thing, but I picked up this book "A Critique of Pure Reason" at my library after someone suggested I read it.

Anyway I really like Kant we seem to be on the same wavelength, except he was a far better writer and probably a hell of alot smarter than me.:lol:

So I was wondering, knowing that I enjoy this book, does anyone have any other suggestions?

The only philosophers that I've really read before this were Plato and Heidegger.(Oh and of course all of you assholes.:grin:)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.




I've never been able to read philosophers. Cept Hugh Hefner of course. I need pictures or I don't understand.:shrug:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: giza]
    #11619934 -

giza said:
don't read, THINK!



Cant you do both?

Icelander, Heph is a very wise man.:laugh:


--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser



Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11620007 -

awesomebastard said:
giza said:
don't read, THINK!



Cant you do both?

Icelander, Heph is a very wise man.:laugh:



well imo, knowledge gained through your own thought is much more satisfying, imagine the first philosopher that had no books to go off of and look how far it has gotten philosophy, but I have yet to read a book on philosophy so my opinion is biased

Edited by giza (12/09/09 08:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: giza]
    #11620099 -

You act as though your own thoughts are in some way more original if they are influenced by stimuli other than literature.

The goal isnt to read a book and absorb that persons views it's to read the book and use the intellectual stimulation to think on your own.


--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser



Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11620136 -

Well Buddha was praised because what he said was what he came up with by himself or else no one would give him props, right? or no

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11620152 -

The only philosophy you have read is pretty technical... Kant is a bitch to read, only time I really feel that decent about getting him is when he is the focus of a class or hearing an expert explain him.

But then again maybe your edition has a good editor with good notes and such.

Philosophical novels are kinda fun.

I think you should read Nausea by Sartre - its not that long and pretty "existential" and kinda "trippy"

Notes From the Underground by Dostoevsky is short and good too...

both of those are pretty standard "existential" novels, found in many reading lists for existentialism classes

As far as a essay like work....

On the Genealogy of Morality by Nietzsche is pretty damn good but pretty hefty, its nice to have an edition with good notes and commentary and giving it a read or 2... dunno if its the best first read of Nietzsche or not but oh well

There is a lot out there!


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: giza]
    #11620164 -

Siddhartha was also a well educated or "book learned" aristocrat (maybe even a prince) before he went off on his journey for enlightenment.


--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser



Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11620169 -

I much prefer Hume to Kant, so I'd probably recommend An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals by Hume.


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Edited by deCypher (12/09/09 09:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: giza]
    #11620170 -

giza said:
Well Buddha was praised because what he said was what he came up with by himself or else no one would give him props, right? or no



He really wasn't that original imo, check out Epictetus.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: Icelander]
    #11620196 -

Icelander said:
I've never been able to read philosophers. Cept Hugh Hefner of course.


Ah yes, Hume Hefner...I will politely decline the use of his fork.  :snub:


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: deCypher]
    #11620244 -

deCypher said:
I much prefer Hume to Kant, so I'd probably recommend An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals by Hume.



How could you not revel in the glory of the CI and its modifications? Heh, Kant was a funny man, his ethical theory is at least novel in my eyes, but yeah I am not really a fan.


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: andrewss]
    #11620423 -

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, I will try and read them all.

I have a month off of school so if I dont spend the entire break getting fucked on benzos or getting drunk like I've been doing I should be able to knock out a good portion of them.


--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser



Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: awesomebastard]
    #11621448 -

Robert C. Solomon's No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life lecture series is a good overview.
It can be found as an audiobook torrent, I can't help but chuckle every time he pronounces it 'Kunt'.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: Middleman]
    #11621941 -

I tried some Nietzche once after a dozen pages or so I gave up, fuck that, I swear it's just way overcomplicated and can't you write philosophy without making endless references that you have to be experienced in philosophy to know about anyhoo. Bleh I can read RAW but I don't think that counts :tongue:.


--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. *DELETED* [Re: Grapefruit]
    #11622126 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11622184 -

Don't know it seemed to me when I was reading it that most of it was just spinning it out with more words then necessary whereas the concepts weren't so difficult, bored the crap out of me. I suppose I didn't really give it a fair chance though.


--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Immanuel Kant. [Re: Grapefruit]
    #11623532 -

I studied philosophy through university...one of my favourites was learning about Frederick Dretske's concept of knowledge ascription--which he believed was context sensitive, and depending on the circumstance, we may need to elevate our 'contextual standard' in order to determine whether we have knowledge of a particular thing or not...it's deep, but it gets you thinking.

For an entertaining, shorter read, try Harry Frankfurt's essay "On Bullshit"


--------------------


To infinity, and beyond...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Kant's Philosophy of God Psychoactive1984 546 2 03/05/05 06:01 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* Existentialism
( 1 2 3 4 all )
rGhost 2,936 64 11/03/14 10:15 AM
by mikeisapro
* Has Kant experienced 'suchness'?
( 1 2 all )
Patisotagami 2,775 22 09/11/08 07:17 PM
by Boots
* Kant is Wrong...But So Close
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Advocate 4,125 91 03/04/14 11:25 AM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Immanuel Kant, C.S. Lewis, C.G. Jung, J.R.R. Tolkien (and the like) as educators thefloodbehind 633 2 12/04/11 02:04 PM
by thefloodbehind
* Can someone explain existentialism? lines 2,497 14 01/14/11 12:47 PM
by lines
* A LITTLE NIETZCHE kushlover 1,340 7 09/01/01 02:37 AM
by inbetween
* Philosophers similar to Nietzsche?
( 1 2 3 all )
stereolab 7,062 42 10/28/12 08:56 PM
by White Beard

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,164 topic views. 1 members, 11 guests and 38 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.