Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Sports Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Strikeforce!!!
    #11400213 - 11/06/09 08:21 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Fedor vs Rogers.

It's always just exciting to see the best fighter in the world whenever possible.  It just sucks that ever since Pride's demise we haven't seen him as often (oh and fuck signing with the UFC, the UFC doesn't deserve Fedor).

Lets break it down

- Fedor Emelianenko (232 lbs) vs. Brett Rogers (264 lbs)

Without trying to overly repeat what every talking head has already pointed out, Brett Rogers is not a fighter to be taken lightly.  It's more interesting to see how Fedor will adjust to the cage.

As far as I'm concerned, Fedor has proven everything he will ever need to.  Brock Lesnar isn't even close to deserving or ready to fight a fighter of Fedor's caliber.

- Jason "Mayhem" Miller (184 lbs) vs. Jake Shields (184.5 lbs)

Jake Shields is easily one of the best middleweights in the world, he's definitely in my top 5.  Should be a solid matchup but I think Jake is just too much on the ground.  I see him outwrestling Mayhem and controlling the fight tempo.  It could very well go the distance.

- Gegard Mousasi (205 lbs) vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (204 lbs)

Gegard Mousasi is or should be considered top 3 in whatever weight class he chooses to fight in.  But of course people who only follow the UFC have no fucking clue.

Mousasi's been the one guy out there who is improving in strides every time he steps into a fight.  He's always working to get better at his fundamentals, which is why he has the potential to go far.  I can see him finishing Sokoudjou on the ground, even though Soko presents some interesting challenges, mostly being his combination of judo and somewhat diligent standup.

- Antonio Silva (263 lbs) vs. Fabricio Werdum (242 lbs)

People are considering Werdum the heavy favorite here, as he should be.

But I think he's going to have a harder time than he or any of us might expect.

Antonio Silva is just plain huge, and even though his jits is not near on par with Werdum, in an MMA match, that skill margin is slimmer. 

With that being said I still expect Werdum to find his way to a submission.  His gaurd is just way too potent.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #11400699 - 11/06/09 10:11 PM (8 years, 14 days ago)

Interesting convo going on now about all the different fighting organizations and how they are a detriment to MMA as a whole.

Should be a good fight though.  Fedor for free is awesome.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
    #11407175 - 11/07/09 09:17 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

My stream got overloaded, I might actually have to wait 3 more hours and watch it on delay :frown:

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: Jadian]
    #11407577 - 11/07/09 10:16 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

that's what im doing

i'm avoiding all PbP's till the CBS broadcast.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: badchad]
    #11407584 - 11/07/09 10:17 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Interesting convo going on now about all the different fighting organizations and how they are a detriment to MMA as a whole.

Whoever has that stance is just another idiot who has no sense of the burdens or background with this sport.

People who just think a simple answer like putting everyone under one org is a good idea have no fucking clue just how horrible of an idea that is.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#11407763 - 11/07/09 10:40 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:

People who just think a simple answer like putting everyone under one org is a good idea have no fucking clue just how horrible of an idea that is.

It was on a strikeforce preview last night. 

I'm curious as to why that's a bad idea?  Ideally, inter-organization bouts would allow anyone to fight anyone.
It would allow the best matchups.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#11407838 - 11/07/09 10:51 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:

I'm curious as to why that's a bad idea?  Ideally, inter-organization bouts would allow anyone to fight anyone.

Yeah, no shit.

Explain your opinion, smoke.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineStonedImmaculate
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11407865 - 11/07/09 10:55 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

They should just do away with the PGA!!!!

--------------------

OfflineStonedImmaculate
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: StonedImmaculate]
    #11407894 - 11/07/09 10:58 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Omg, those damn ufc shows suck.  Those commercial are extremly bogus.  You get 20 minuts of commentary, 7 minutes of commercials, and 2 minutes of real fighting.  I'm done with that gay shit.  I can go beat the hell out of someone down the road and it would last longer.

--------------------

OfflineStonedImmaculate
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11407967 - 11/07/09 11:05 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

I would rather watch WWF or whatever is now than watch golf or UFC.  At least I can get a good laugh.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#11408009 - 11/07/09 11:11 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

damn.  Kinda saw that coming though.

--------------------

Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11408097 - 11/07/09 11:23 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Fedor is a fucking beast. You look at him, a lot smaller than this black guy who is the size of a fucking house, bald head, baby face, fat hanging out, but he knocks him the fuck out

Also, I thought Miller won his fight. Shields had more dominate positions but didn't do anything with them at all :shrug:

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #11408149 - 11/07/09 11:31 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

I love watching Fedor fight.  It's awe inspiring.

I've said this before and I'm sure others have too, but Antonio Silva needs to change his nickname from Bigfoot to Easter Island.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #11408258 - 11/07/09 11:48 PM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
I love watching Fedor fight.  It's awe inspiring.

I've said this before and I'm sure others have too, but Antonio Silva needs to change his nickname from Bigfoot to Easter Island.

Eastern Island Hobbit

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineBeefWatson
Beefmaster

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #11408755 - 11/08/09 01:59 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Strikeforce put on a great show tonight.

Was really hoping Antonio Silva was going to win, but it was good

Mousasi vs Sokoudjou was fun as I thought it would be..

I thought Miller was impressive for being such a Douche, neither one did all that much damage but I really liked Miller's sweep moves.

and Fedor... the king reigns!....though there was like 2 seconds where I thought the universe would implode, but Fedor wouldnt let that happen to us.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #11409306 - 11/08/09 04:55 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:

Yeah, no shit.

Explain your opinion, smoke.

It's quite simple.

The sheer volume of talent in an individually competitive sport such as MMA, and the uncountable talent, camps, up and coming fighters, are just way and far too infinite to even say it's possible, let alone, a good idea.

The problem is that if every single one of the thousands and thousands of MMA fighters, much of whom have high caliber potential, are all forced under one organization, one title belt...then you end up just forcing the grand majority of them out of any significant ascension to popularity.

The sport is not like say, Football, which is popular in just one country.

MMA is more say like...Soccer, on a global scale, the sheer number of talents, teams, leagues, clubs, so on and so fourth, are just far too numerous for there to be even an attempt at one organization or league sanctioning all of the competition around the globe.

If it wasn't for numerous small organizations, grassroots startup events, and all of the temporary MMA comissioned fight cards,  we wouldn't even have discovered the sheer majority of top ranked fighters out there today.

You need the small organizations to be there, all around the globe, in Japan, Russia, Brazil, Korea, and now expanding into China, France, Britain, Mexico, for up and coming fighters to have the stepping stones necessary to grow and progress in the sport.

Manny Pacquiao wasn't the best boxer when he first started out.  He began by fighting in small local events in the Philippines and developed and improved his skill by stepping stones in competition before making it into the big time.

Even in the United States, if you look at the majority of big name stars in the UFC, almost all of them first began in smaller local fight organizations.

I say, let the wild fire of the sport grow across the world, and don't over simplify and force a system onto the uncountable talents around the world in the present, and those to come.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#11409326 - 11/08/09 05:10 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

i was 4-4 on my picks, except didn't pick Werdum vs Silva to go the distance.

--------------------

OfflineCriminalMinded
Con Artist
Loc: Western Mass
    #11411021 - 11/08/09 02:39 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Man I love Werdum but he really needs to work on his takedowns, they were slow and telegraphed.  His standup still looks a little sloppy as well.  But his BJJ, as usual, looked excellent.  Overall, a good card though.

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: CriminalMinded]
    #11413195 - 11/08/09 08:39 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Fedor isn't the #1 heavyweight fighter in the world, he's just decent.  It's obvious he's just dodging the toughest, most experienced heavyweight fighter in the world, Brock Lesnar, because Fedor is no longer as in shape nor talented as he was during his prime in Pride- a hill that he is permanently over.

At least according to expert, unbiased sports analyst, Dana White.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: Strikeforce!!! [Re: Society]
    #11414625 - 11/08/09 11:48 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Love to see Lesnar vs Rogers.
Won't happen though.

I'm still waiting for Lesnar to get over his swine flu so Shane Carwin can beat him up. I don't think Lesnar has the skill level to beat an experienced striker/wrestler who isn't giving up 40+ pounds to fight him.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Sports Forum