Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineitsthedank
The Dude
Male

Loc: The Gray Tapes
Vinyl freaks...
    #11236717 - 10/13/09 12:44 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

aight so i'm looking to buy a turntable but i'm not sure which one i should get. i'm looking for one that is USB compatible so i can plug into my PC and convert to .wav files and other programs such as ReCycle. I was looking at the Stanton T92 but the price is kind of steep, some of the Numarks are around 80-100 bucks, anybody have any experience with these products?

Also if anyone out there has an MPC could you be able to tell me the best turntable to purchase to go along w/ the MPC.

And whats the difference between a belt drive turntable and a direct drive turntable and which one is better for the things im trying to do?

All help is much appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Vinyl freaks... [Re: itsthedank]
    #11236760 - 10/13/09 12:51 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

You'll probably want a direct drive.
Quote:

wikipedia said:
A direct-drive turntable is one of two main phonograph designs being manufactured today. The other style is the belt-drive turntable. Each name is based upon the type of drive motor used. Both are primarily for playing 12" and 7" vinyl disc records.

[...]

Direct drive turntables may suffer from vibration due to the motor. This is less of an issue for belt-drive turntables. However, in recent years, shock-absorbing (less dense) material, placed between the motor and platter, has been used to cut back on vibrations. The torque on direct drive turntables is usually much higher than on belt drive models. This means the platter speed is less susceptible to outside forces (stylus, hand). Higher torque also means the platter will accelerate to its proper speed faster so less distortion is heard when the record begins to play.

I'd be interested in the answers concerning the USB tables too. That's something I've been thinking about buying for a few months.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
Re: Vinyl freaks... [Re: itsthedank]
    #11237204 - 10/13/09 02:31 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

My dad purchased a Numark TTUSB To rip all of his old vynals to MP3.

Works great, very easy to set up, and has a 1/8in. input jack for other audio sources.

Audacity takes some getting used to, but doable.

Personally, i much prefer my old Pioneer PL-550. I have it wired to an old home theater reciver, and thats run to my sound card.

Sound is EXCELENT, manual or standard 35/45 speed, adjustable arm weight, and a queue arm.

If you just ripping, the Numark is fine, if you want to listen and enjoy the awesome sound vynals can provide, get a good belt driven, adjustable arm, turntable.

Quote:

The torque on direct drive turntables is usually much higher than on belt drive models. This means the platter speed is less susceptible to outside forces (stylus, hand). Higher torque also means the platter will accelerate to its proper speed faster so less distortion is heard when the record begins to play.

This is a moot point, the stylus should NEVER be on the record without the table spinning at speed, and should NEVER be so heavy that it actually slows the table down.

Easy way to destroy vynals with heavy stylus arm, and letting a stylus sit on the record before turning the table on.

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Vinyl freaks... [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #11271541 - 10/18/09 04:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I have to resurrect this thread, because I came across this turntable forum today...

And it is pretty much amazing.

:todcasil:

That is all!

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlineitsthedank
The Dude
Male

Loc: The Gray Tapes
Re: Vinyl freaks... [Re: Todcasil]
    #11274811 - 10/19/09 01:25 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

AWESOME!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub