Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevoladen25
Stranger
I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying
    #11176969 - 10/03/09 09:42 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Hey. im new to these fourms because i just started taking mushrooms a few weeks ago.  so i was in my yard the other day and i saw a small patch of odd looking mushrooms.  so i looked up the description and came up with bluing psylicibe (i think its spelt wrong).  but im not sure if thats what it is because im not a usual mushroom hunter.  most sites said they grow in the september-november months, and its october, and it says they grow anywhere from british columbia to san fancisco.  i live in massachusetts.  heres a few picks i took of 1 that i picked.  please tell me if they are worth getting, or if they are a sure death sentance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying [Re: voladen25]
    #11177012 - 10/03/09 09:51 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Those mushrooms are not active.  There is not enough info, and the photos are not good enough to tell you exactly what they are.

The genus you are trying to spell is Psilocybe.  A key to mushroom identification is realizing that whatever unidentified mushroom you have come across, it is probably not what you are looking for. 
A lot of people go straight to descriptions of active mushrooms, and without a descriptive comparison of some inactive species, the description of the active mushroom sounds vaguely similar to the mushrooms they collected.

If you are just looking for active mushrooms, you should stick around and read up.  Start with reading the Rules Thread stickied at the top of the forum; there is a lot of really good information to get you started. 

If you want to get a specific identification for your mushrooms, please refer to the template ID Request Thread, also stickied at the top of the forum.

Welcome to The Shroomery.

--------------------

Offlinevoladen25
Stranger
Re: I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying [Re: CureCat]
    #11177101 - 10/03/09 10:14 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

ok. thanks alot.  so does that mean it is a look alike?  because the description fits 100% from when they grow, to the fact that the cap is sticky and slimey.  and do you know if it is toxic?  and where should i look for mushrroms that r active in massachusetts? by that i mean what season and where, like by certain trees or streams

OfflineIcelandicSojourn
Monist in Training
Male

Loc: Valleys of the Natives
Re: I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying [Re: voladen25]
    #11177138 - 10/03/09 10:22 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

There are many mushrooms that grow at the same time that have sticky caps (those are some of the more vague ID'ing characteristics), and that's why I would follow CureCat's advice.

--------------------
Ne me parlez plus de politique
Je veux sauver ma vie    :peace:

Invisibleminerva
Johnny Cyanspore
Male User Gallery

Loc: tacoma/seattle
Re: I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying [Re: IcelandicSojourn]
    #11177743 - 10/03/09 11:57 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

all the info you seek is on this site. be patient, look around, and learn. accurately IDing mushrooms is much harder than most people realize. don't rush it. and make sure you post your finds here before you eat any of it. don't want you to die on us.

oh and if it says something grows from british columbia to san francisco, they're usually talking about the west coast only, not everything in  the US between those locations.

Edited by minerva (10/04/09 12:05 AM)

Invisibleminerva
Johnny Cyanspore
Male User Gallery

Loc: tacoma/seattle
Re: I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying [Re: minerva]
    #11177760 - 10/04/09 12:00 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

looks like you guys don't have many actives in your area. the common ones are Gymnopilus junonius and Panaeolus cinctulus (AKA P. subbalteatus)

so look up info on those.

mushrooms by state:

http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-psilocybin-mushrooms-grow-wild-in-my-area

Edited by minerva (10/04/09 12:12 AM)

Offlinevoladen25
Stranger
Re: I Think i found a patch of psylicibin mushrooms in my yard... i need help identifying [Re: minerva]
    #11179448 - 10/04/09 11:36 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

ok. thanks alot guys.  ill keep my eye out for those and ill post them to get help IDing them.  im interested in learning about IDing mushrooms and this seems like the place to start to learn.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification