Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

Loc: Atlantida.
Does walnut sawdust work for oyster substrate?
    #10820119 - 08/07/09 09:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Any experienced in sawdust logs here?
Thanks

--------------------
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Looking for Lion's Mane and Yellow Oyster culture. Will trade for: Shiitake/King Oyster/Blue Oyster/White Beech.
Me for info.

Yes, you can see the real reality through a little window. Now, build a door.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
first say [Re: ElSeta] * 1
    #10820691 - 08/07/09 11:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I will first say that I don't know.

I remembered that Walnut (juglans nigra) trees produce a substance known as juglone that is poisonous to other plants and is contained in the roots and the wood. I know it to be found in the husks that originally cover the shells and also in the shells themselves.  It is said to be strongly antibacterial and also antifungal and people use a tincture of the husks in small amounts to kill worms within their bodies.  Juglone is very poorly soluble in water, so pasteurizing it would seem not to remove much juglone.

I have also read that walnut is known for having major amounts of tannins in the wood, which in the case of cedars (arborvitae) is the reason for the rot resistance of the wood.  It is said that horses that are bedded in walnut sawdust or chips are affected.

From Ohio State University:  "Shavings contaminated with less than 20% black walnut can cause poisoning in 24 hrs. Affected horses exhibit depression, lethargy, laminitis, distal limb edema, and increased temperature, pulse, respiration rate, abdominal sounds, digital pulse, and hoof temperature. Consumption of the shavings may also cause signs of mild colic."

It is used to kill fish in ponds and streams.

In the specialty woods business, a discolouration or streaking on a board is known as spalting.  I did a google search for spalted walnut and came up with some hits. This is not, however, proof that the person using the term knows what it means and is using it correctly, and if walnut is being marked by a fungus, this is no indication that the fungus is mushroom forming.

Having said all that, in Mycelium running Stamets includes juglans nigra and juglans spp, witout special comment in a list of trees suitable for mushroom cultivation. 

It may be that the heat used in sterilization destroys juglone although I was unable to find this discussed.

I found looking into this interesting , but inconclusive.

I suggest just trying it.

Good growing,

Jeff

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: first say [Re: Jef]
    #10821483 - 08/08/09 07:01 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I know that walnut is dense as hell.  A buddy of mine had an electric bass with a black walnut body, and that thing weighed a ton.

I'm pretty sure that turning wood into sawdust will mitigate its density a bit, like turning a round roast into hamburger.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleLokelYokel
I Gro Fuud
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Heart
Re: first say [Re: Paresthesia]
    #10821532 - 08/08/09 07:28 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that turning wood into sawdust will mitigate its density a bit, like turning a round roast into hamburger.

Tasty analogy!  Don't for get to add some grilled mushrooms and Swiss to it.

--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
Re: first say [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10822896 - 08/08/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've found it to work fine in a blend with oak sawdust.  Blue oyster, shiitake, maitake, and yamabushi all loved it.

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: first say [Re: urbanfarmer]
    #10839753 - 08/11/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't realize you were talking about kings until I saw your other post.

In my experience, kings are strong colonizers, but may die suddenly for no apparent reason and are unpredictable in fruiting.

I have some maple shavings that have been fully colonized for more than a month , they pinned at full colonization, were moved into fruiting conditions, then promptly aborted.

Now they just sit there.

They fruited fine for me as a contaminant in on a blue oyster phonebook grow.  I think paper is the substrate they like best.

I had a shipment that was two weeks en route, and kings and reishi were the only two cultures that arrived dead.

They may be properly classified as  an oyster mushroom, but in my opinion of their behaviour, they are not really that similar to the others.

I believe that some of the more "normal" oysters may perform better for you.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does walnut sawdust work for oyster substrate? [Re: ElSeta]
    #10845349 - 08/12/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ElSeta said:
Does walnut sawdust work for oyster substrate?

Any experienced in sawdust logs here?
Thanks

It should, it will grow on walnut logs, not sawdust, logs cut from the tree.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags