Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow
    #9850601 -

Long story short, I'm an assistant teacher for a class called UCC 101, A class certain individuals have to take at my school if they didn't do well enough on their SAT's or placement tests, I was not required to take it :wink:
The class pretty much is a prep coarse for college, teaching you guidelines on being a better student, time management, homework management
But I landed as a job as an assistant teacher / mentor and have to teach the class by myself on Wednesday on anything I want relating to the topic.
I chose ways to study for tests.
And I have one particular way to study in mind that I always use, which is note cards, having someone test you quickly over and over again. The rinse and repeat method which has always been very effective, but I don't think that's quite enough to teach for a full hour.
I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to help me out? I'll give you credit in class that a bunch of mushroom trippers planned out your class today hahaha, thanks ladies & gents.


--------------------
the bigger your pupils are, the more you see... right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9850620 -

If it's a test I'm actually worried about I sometimes either go back through my notes and handwrite a second copy or simply go back over the material taking a new set of notes. Just the act of writing everything down like that seems to help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9850622 -

I guess making it apply to them, and how it could actually help them, that kind of thing I think is often more important to a student than the actual material being taught.


--------------------
Signature.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9850623 -

This is the method I used to graduate Cum laude with a double major in business management & economics (3.89 Econ GPA, 3.41 BM)


Take notes in class.
Make an outline based off of the notes you took.
Make notecards based off of the outlines you made.
Break notecards into groups of 5, and learn in a ladder progression:  (Learn A, Then B, Then review A & B, then Learn C, Then review A,B,C, Then add D.. etc. etc.)


there were only a few tests in college I didn't get an A on.  however, it is a lot of extra work - but all that extra work really ingrains it in your brain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9850626 -

UCC 101... Union County College?
Tell them if they study as the last thing they do before they fall asleep they will remember it really good in the morning when they wake up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: LouDog88]
    #9850745 -

Supposedly the more methods your brain receives the info, the better it can remember it. So doing the flash cards with let your brain hear it, then you should do some activity where you write the answers down several times. That way your brain receives the info three separate ways: hearing, seeing, and touching (writing).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: memes]
    #9850776 -

meams said:
This is the method I used to graduate Cum laude with a double major in business management & economics (3.89 Econ GPA, 3.41 BM)


Take notes in class.
Make an outline based off of the notes you took.
Make notecards based off of the outlines you made.
Break notecards into groups of 5, and learn in a ladder progression:  (Learn A, Then B, Then review A & B, then Learn C, Then review A,B,C, Then add D.. etc. etc.)


there were only a few tests in college I didn't get an A on.  however, it is a lot of extra work - but all that extra work really ingrains it in your brain.



I would take that advice ^^


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: memes]
    #9850845 -

I agree that it would be great to reiterate the importance for them to see the benefits of learning & then go on to the more detailed methods of successful studying.


--------------------

I want to show you life for what it's worth, from beginning to end from when your life was first launched 'till when it descends back to earth. From pyramiding at it's peak 'till when it turns back into dirt..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: upinthetrees]
    #9851071 -

good advice from meams, but it does depend on the class. The way i'd study for Chinese was different than Organic chemistry. One trick i'd do is compress all my notes from class for the week onto one sheet of paper. Its less daunting to look at. When you have a collection of one-sheeters cram them down and so on and so forth.

With problem solving classes, do a bunch of problems and solve them. With memorization classes, flashcards and question and answer sheets are the way to go. With languages, practice with other people at your level. With concepts, try explaining them to a noob.

Oh yeah, get your shit done before you get high :smile:


--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Green_T]
    #9851155 -

green_titan said:
Oh yeah, get your shit done before you get high :smile:



That depends on the person.  I would typically have quite a bit of studying to do, and if sober, would be overwhelmed - guarenteeing procrastination under the daunting task at hand.

However, if I got a "little bit high" (one quick hit from a bowl) to relax my nerves & anxiety, I would just sit down, say "OK, let's get this shit over with" - and would have it done in no time :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9851672 -

I didn't really do much studying in college :shrug:

Best advice would be to do ALL your work and do it sober.  Go to ALL your classes, this will cut down on your studying time if you need it.  Take your college education as seriously as you would take a real paying job.

I might have been somewhat faulty in my approach, as I didn't really focus too much on the material, I always kept my focus on the grade, and how to achieve the 'A'.  Keep in mind, this approach probably only works for easy/moderate degrees, such as mine (electrical engineering technology, big ten uni, 3.7 grad GPA).

What can I say, I definitely took the easy road. :lol:


--------------------
  Moderation is key 

  "There is no god higher than truth." 


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9851961 -

couple things:
(memory based cramming)
1.  You can have your students use mnemonic devices
ex. Dumb King Phillip Came Over From Good Spain  (Biological Classification)
Domain Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species.
2.  Also connecting and relating  two items can help retrieve through activation of nearby correlated pathways.

(long term)
Spacing is a proven method, basically you look at your notes everyday for 5 min as opposed to a cram of 35 min.... numbers are arbitrary, but you get my point

College is so much fun!!!

I can prolly get you more if you really want them, but since it is just one lesson plan you usually want to expand on big ideas.  Go into Depth.

hopefully this helps!


--------------------
Capitalism is indeed organized crime, and we are all the victims.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: mister sprinkles]
    #9852055 -

Thank you everyone there's more than enough material there, all of you made some kick ass suggestions, truly appreciate it, gratsi, tak, thank you, merci, danka!


--------------------
the bigger your pupils are, the more you see... right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9852221 -

tell them if they study high, then get high before the test they will get a guaranteed A :awesome:


--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: igwna]
    #9852258 -

theMERRYiguana said:
tell them if they study high, then get high before the test they will get a guaranteed A :awesome:



hahahahahaha I'm gonna have to try that actually


--------------------
the bigger your pupils are, the more you see... right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9852291 -

1. dispel a tincture of lsd in mist form throughout the classroom
2. ???
3. profit!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So I'm teaching my first class tomorrow [Re: Zefiron]
    #9852332 -

Hey, good luck with your new teaching position! Teaching is one of the most honorable and wonderful careers. I know  - I teach 8th grade!

Here's a little trick I taught my students:

The sense that is most closely associated with memory is the sense of smell. Think of how smells can illicit such powerful memories. Whenever I smell the scent of my dad's favorite cologne, I am overwhelmed with sadness, missing him since he passed. Other smells bring back childhood friends, bring back men I've loved, bring back my grandmother's kitchen. Powerful.

I've taught my students to create a special scent - something they like, something unique. We spent a day mixing essential oils until everyone had a little vial of their own personal scent mixture.

Now, whenever we are learning something that they will be tested on, I have them rub a tiny drop of the scent under their nose. On test day, they  get out their vials and apply the scent. Instant memory of what they were to learn! It really works.

Good luck!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How do I get a teaching certificate?
( 1 2 all )
BrAiN 2,282 20 06/21/05 01:14 AM
by Vvellum
* I hate my last class, I fall asleep every day, and I'm fairly sure I don't need it - drop it?
( 1 2 all )
freddurgan 4,354 20 02/18/05 03:42 PM
by WildRunner
* For those students in the fall- what are you taking?
( 1 2 3 all )
flowstone 3,043 48 07/30/05 09:38 PM
by Viaggio
* mycology student needs help lordofcubes 2,110 19 02/19/05 09:41 AM
by John
* College/University Students
( 1 2 all )
adamj 4,366 32 09/14/04 11:49 AM
by Chardimus
* I START COLLEGE TOMORROW!!!
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 2,131 20 08/24/04 04:58 AM
by ihatejacknjills
* Joke-TEACHING MATH Innominate 1,168 16 06/20/11 06:31 AM
by hidenseek
* Students on strike!! exclusive58 1,262 18 03/09/05 03:48 PM
by ricochet

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,405 topic views. 4 members, 22 guests and 247 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.