Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Cool internship opportunity.
    #9728496 -

So I have an opportunity to get an internship writing science articles for this website, http://www.cleantechauthority.com. The context is anything pertaining to Solar, Wind, Biomass, Electric Cars, Green Homes, Sustainable Building  or general Clean Technology. If I got the job, I would be writing one article on these topics per week.

The upside is that I can work from home, do my own research, and write about cool topics. The downside is that the internship is unpaid unless one of my articles reaches the top 5 most viewed for the month (worth $60), or receives more than 5 comments in two months (worth $40, but can only get one per month).

So it seems like it would be a lot of work for pretty much no money. But I do enjoy writing, and my field of study is Environmental Engineering anyway. Seems like it could be a fun thing to do.

I have to submit an article first in lieu of a resume in order to get the internship.

What do you all think, should I go for it?


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9728506 -

Yes.

I'm sure people here will comment on your articles for you.


--------------------
:seriousbusiness:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9728589 -

Why not? It'd look good on your resume and give you oh-so-valuable experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: Le_Canard]
    #9728628 -

Yeah I think it would be a good way to ease myself into the field. Because as of right now my resume consists of food service employment...and some tutoring. Thats about it.


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: Skuzz]
    #9728637 -

Skuzz said:
Yes.

I'm sure people here will comment on your articles for you.



Although in the description it does specify, " comments cannot be artificially influenced or requested"

Heh...but I guess technically its not requesting comments if I just direct people where to read my articles. :cool:


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9728856 -

Go for it :wink:


--------------------


GnuBobo said:
Iron. Hymen. Vitamin.

Be Iron, like Hymen, in Vitamin.

Iron. Hymen. Vitamin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: IR0NHYM0N]
    #9728912 -

Everyone has to start somewhere I guess.  It would be much more fruitful however, if you could actually work with people who wrote more advanced articles, and were directly mentored.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: badchad]
    #9729011 -

I'm sure the whole reason behind setting up this internship is to sift through people until they find someone who has good journalism skills and comes up with interesting articles.

So if I can manage to produce some good work for them, you never now what kinda opportunity it might lead to.


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9729219 -

that sounds cool. Im going for an internship this semseter too. I was going to intern for Green Campus at my school (chico state - #8 green school in the country)

i would be joining the sustainability department, and my task would be to complete a semester long project aimed towards energy saving and alternative energies (like doing a thurough examination on how much, or if we can switch our energy to solar) . I definitely think it is going to teach me alot. My minor is in sustainability so thats why im also doing it. So as for the advice, if it builds up your credibility, you should always try for it.


--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #9729355 -

take any experience you can get.  internships are what distinguish you from any other college grad.


--------------------
BE HERE NOW

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: publicenemy1]
    #9729687 -

Anyone have some ideas for a topic?

I was thinking something based around current news would be good to start with. Possibly pertaining to Obama's new sustainability/renewable energy plan.

I was also thinking something on Green homes would be cool. I've had this idea for a long time about requiring all new homes to be installed with solar panels and wind turbines, so that every new home can be "off the grid", and therefore immune to power outages/shortages. Of course the power in these homes would be weather dependent, but if made efficiently the chance of a power outage should be relatively low.


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9729796 -

seize the opportunity



trust me....you arent going to have much luck finding a PAYING internship....internships are all about experience.


--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC


All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9729803 -

BrainChemistry said:
Skuzz said:
Yes.

I'm sure people here will comment on your articles for you.



Although in the description it does specify, " comments cannot be artificially influenced or requested"

Heh...but I guess technically its not requesting comments if I just direct people where to read my articles. :cool:



Just make sure you give out the website rather than posting a link.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9833223 -

Hey, so I got the internship!! And it was all because of my trusty friend, Paul Stamets.

If anyone is interested in reading my article about mushrooms and bioremediation, check it out here

and the first article on the page is mine. :smile:


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9833490 -

well i did my job to help you. great article! :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: Platinum]
    #9833860 -

Hey thanks Platinum! You the man!

:bow2:

Hopefully I will be writing another article on using mushrooms for biofuels, and possibly one on mycofiltration.


--------------------
Word to your mom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cool internship opportunity. [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #9834407 -

I linked the Stamets TED presentation.

Great article and articulation :thumbup:


--------------------
  Moderation is key 

  "There is no god higher than truth." 


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* FBI internship
( 1 2 all )
XUL 2,224 20 02/02/13 03:02 AM
by vinsue
* Internships + Drug testing? Boom 548 3 11/14/06 10:11 PM
by Boom
* ridiculous article about "deadly" magic mushrooms
( 1 2 all )
jba6511 6,326 21 03/23/04 12:42 AM
by Che_Night_Soil
* opportunity?!?!?? shaggy101 722 8 04/23/04 04:41 AM
by vinsue
* Cool dog story TheHobbit 1,075 9 08/15/03 01:41 PM
by TheHobbit
* Hilarious article for Phish fans Budtastic 1,312 18 06/21/04 12:37 PM
by YouEnjoyMyself
* Very interesting article on cigs, radiation, and cancer READ _Shrew_ 2,197 6 11/07/03 11:18 PM
by Quintessence
* A nice article about Kesey. Drummer 418 1 06/08/04 03:54 PM
by kindkesey

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,220 topic views. 6 members, 15 guests and 183 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.