Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedansta
stanley

Loc: Anywhere
Styrofoam Cooler U.K.
    #967957 - 10/17/02 01:15 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry about this but I'm new to all this. I inoculated all my jars last night but I'm thinking I need an incubator. You're all talking about a Styrofoam cooler but I've never seen one anywhere. Can someone let me know of anything else I could use that I could find in the U.K. I should add that I want to use the http://www.myco-tek.com/TEKs/Incubation.htm

I'd be grateful if any of you could help me out.

--------------------
"Sir, I think you are drunk"
"Yes my dear and tomorrow I will be sober but you will still be ugly"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: dansta]
    #967979 - 10/17/02 01:29 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If you can't find a styrofoam cooler, you can use pretty much any other container (plastic or glass is fine), as long as everything fits in there, and you can find a way to make it opaque if it isn't already. Be creative. You might have something around the house already...

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#968004 - 10/17/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Incubator = should not be penetrable by light.

Best is to get a igloo cooler. Wipe down with rubbing alcohol, add a heat source, (aquarium heater in a jug o'water). Things work great, and they even have a water drain plug to drain out any water w/o opening the top :smile:

OfflineItsAllGood
London Shroomer

Loc: London UK
    #968189 - 10/17/02 04:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Out of interest mate,  what jars did you use - coz as you probably know wide mouth canning jars just don't exist in the UK!!    I use a rubbermaid i.e a big sealable plastic tub (Don't you just love all these american terms!! :mad:)  with a fish tank heater set up.  Try any big DIY chain :wink: 

--------------------
What a terrible thing to lay on somebody with a head full of acid

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#968201 - 10/17/02 04:42 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

ItsAllGood is right, you can buy a big plastic storage bin from a place like B&Q...as long as it's opaque and doesn't have a see through cover you should be fine. Hurry up though, B&Q have a sale going on....i saw a nice plastic storage bin for 5 quid!! :smile:

Offlinedansta
stanley

Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: ItsAllGood]
    #968235 - 10/17/02 05:19 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I gave up looking for the canning jars a while back but managed to find some tapered whisky tumblers that look o.k. it just means you have to tinfoil the top. Also I ordered 10 plastic 1/2 pt. jars from Smart Botanics for about ?5 they say that there fine for steaming but no good for PC.

If only we had a Walmart things would be so much easier.

I'd better get myself to B&Q then and get one of these rubbermaid jobs as I've already inoculated 14 jars.

--------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#968252 - 10/17/02 05:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

MushMush have 500ml autoclavable plastic containers for ?6...they would be better than the ones smart botanics carry. I've bought the ones from Smart Botanics 2 yrs ago and I just ended up binning them...

If there are enough people in the UK around the south east reigion, I'm going to the states in December and i'll be able to bring home cases of quart canning jars. If you're interested, PM me.

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
    #968373 - 10/17/02 07:46 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

This is cool. Look at all the Brits growing shrooms..

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Offlinegeko127
Demolition Man
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #968411 - 10/17/02 08:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hey dansta dont worry dude, I use large wisky tumblers with 2 layersof foil as the lid and a 3rd piece for covering the holes up. :smirk:

--------------------
LIFE IS A BITCH, AND THEN YOU MARRY ONE.

BUT SUCH IS LIFE !

Offlinedansta
stanley

Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: boO]
    #968416 - 10/17/02 08:28 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Do you have any idea what wattage heater I would need? I plan to get my girlfriend to pick me one up from the local pet shop on her way home.

I've managed to get Epsom Salts for drying as I couldn't find any desiccant but I've been looking for some peroxide but boots didn't come up trumps.

Any idea's for alternatives?

Cheerz for all your help.

--------------------

Offlinedansta
stanley

Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: geko127]
    #968464 - 10/17/02 08:50 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I've done exactly the same thing with the tinfoil. I just hope it all works. Think I'll sterilize and inoculate another couple tonight just to widen the odds of it working out.

I think I'm going to enjoy my new found hobby and this forum is easyly the best source of info I've come accross.

--------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#968479 - 10/17/02 08:54 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

if you go to b&q or homebase you'll be able to find those dehumidifiers around the paint section...it contains calcium chloride so u can use them in replace of the epsom salts u bought.

i was able to find hydrogen peroxide in boots, try looking around at other chemists...what really threw me off last week was the fact that i was asking everyone at boots and the chemist "do you have any isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol?" they'd be like wtf are u talking about...being an american living in england sure does throw me off sometimes with the language...at like 2 AM in teh morning i realized "OH YEAH THE BRITS CALL IT SURGICAL SPIRITS" so i was able to find it in boots :P

Offlinedansta
stanley

Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: boO]
    #968575 - 10/17/02 09:36 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ahhhhh I see 'Surgical Spirits' that should make things a little easier. Any idea though on the wattage I might need for my aquarium heater.

It would be a good idea if someone could come up with some sort of U.S to U.K equivalent chart on different terms and measurements. This would help new starters like myself no end.

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #968626 - 10/17/02 10:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

50 to 150 watt works fine. Sometimes you can find them with a thermostast & you can set the temp you want it to maintain.

Actualy, a cardboard box will work as an "jar" incubator, so long as it sets where there is a constant temp between 75 & 82 F. Just make sure it is sealed - so no light enters it.

Any type plastic storeage box, or ice cooler chest will work as a growing chamber. Except, you have to cobble togather some way for light to enter.

"edit". It would seem since wide mouth canning jars are rare in U.K. But, other type narrow mouth jars with lids are available. That some of you Brit's or ExPat's might think about using wild bird seed, rye grain or a combo to make spawn, rather than cakes.  :laugh:

You can use any type jar with a metal lid for seed or grain. Because, once it is fully colonized, it solidifies & you have to dig & spoon it out anyway. Then, spawn a pasturized bulk substrate like horse or cow dung.

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (10/17/02 10:20 AM)

OfflineErbaliza
Believer
Loc: UK...London(ish)
Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: SixTango]
    #971529 - 10/18/02 04:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

As for 1/2 pint jars i use Bon Mamam jam/marmalade jars from Sainsburys/Tesco.They cost around ?1.20 a jar but the jam is nice :smile:  For a incubation box i use a large plastic container in a cupboard,i have a 40 watt bulb on 24-7 .I have a blanket over the box to protect from light.This gets the temp to a steady 80F....So far alls been working well,harvested my 1st shrooms a few days back......Its good to see fellow UK growers,especially London ones,glad to see i'm not alone :smile: ...Peace...

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Styrofoam Cooler U.K. [Re: Erbaliza]
    #971597 - 10/18/02 04:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

"It would be a good idea if someone could come up with some sort of U.S to U.K equivalent chart on different terms and measurements" 30 years on and the US still dont use metric, whats that all about...

i have a 150W heater and it is fine. the heaters turn themselves off once they get to temp. so my 150W is on for 1/3 the time of a 50W. i would stick with 150W or higher incase you want a bigger incubator. it only costs a small bit more.
as for no canning jars in the UK, look around and think. cash and carrys sell large jars of tomato sauce for catering. i got a 4 litre and a 3 litre jar in a turkish shop full of tomatoes and pickles. go to a local resturaunt and offer to pay for jars, tell them youll be back next week teh should have loads by then. cheaper still just get autoclave bags.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck