Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
I have trouble making friends with guys...
    #9099321 -

I'm a straight guy but I have trouble making friends with other guys. It's not that I can't get along with people at parties and stuff, it's just that I can't develop long term friendships that work when other people aren't around. Maybe I'm just an awkward guy, but getting girls is no problem for me. I've got a sexy GF right now and I'd much rather hang out with her all the time than go watch football or something.

Idk...as I begin to take more psychology classes, it's making me think about how this could have happened. I used to have a lot of good friends that were guys when I was in middle school. After my parents had a really bad divorce and my dad practically left my life I seemed to lose the desire to interact with males on any level.

Don't start the shit about being a closet homosexual...that is obviously not the case. But has anyone else ever felt like this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #9099397 -

Girl friends > guy friends anyway. They're more rational/logical, good eye candy, and actually listen when you talk.


I have two really good friends that I've known for over a decade. It's hard to find good buddies that'll stick around through thick and thin.

I made one guy friend during my whole undergrad and he was kind of a dbag to start off with, but I've become very close with a lot of women.

:shrug:

Don't really know what to tell you except don't stress it. Football and womanizing get really old after a while.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #9099428 -

Anonymous #2 said:
Girl friends > guy friends anyway. They're more rational/logical, good eye candy, and actually listen when you talk.





I don't know about the "more rational/logical" statement.
Women are very emotional, and most of their actions play off their emotions, where guys listen to their emotions less, and their logic more.

But, I would say women are more fun to hang out with.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #9099701 -

I'm have the other problem.  No female friends.

I got loads of male friends and to be honest they are all idiots.  You just tolerate them so your not lonely.

I can't be arsed with all the male ego stuff.  You always have to get passed that or ignore it when trying to have a meanful conversation with anyone.

I spose that goes for men and women though just different types of ego.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #9099724 -

Getting long term frienships isn't too hard.  Just find a common interest and ask them if they want to do it with you.  No pun intended.

Give them free beer and watch/do sports / play computer games or whatever it is you like to spend time doing.

Parties isn't really the best place to get friends.  Although if 2 people have enough interest in the same things they will usually end up talking about meeting up doing those things together.

You could also join a club etc

Long term friends come and go - I only have 1 friend from school that I still chill with, I left school 10 years ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #9102898 -

OP, you have low self esteem and so you're afraid of the competitive dynamics of male to male interaction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #9102915 -

strip naked and pucker your lips next time youre alone with another guy you like then bend over,look over your shoulder at him and say
'fuck me' with a shrill voice

then come out of the closet to the shroomery and your family lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #9102948 -

Op, I have a similar problem, but with guys and girls. It's not that I'm anti-social or have trouble talking to people....but I tend to understate myself.
My girlfriend has been pulling me up on it lately...when meeting people, it's custom to state your interests and your strengths....I tend to not do this. Because I'm very philosophical I ALWAYS listen to what people have to say intently, regardless of the fact I read allot and can be very knowledgeable at times....but I'm the type person to just agree, even though I think I'm right, I mean who's to say my resources are any more reputable than the other persons.

An rough example of this is....I'll be at a party talking to someone, they'll say 'I'm a drummer, I've been playing for 5 years' ...I'll say 'Oh cool' .....I won't mention I have been singing, playing drums/bass/guitar/piano for 15 years, because I think that would make me sound full of myself.

Is this a self confidence issue or something else?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #9103998 -

Just say I play instruments and see if they are interested.

Telling them is interesting conversation.  Modesty is key.  You seem to have over-modesty to such an extent that you would be assumed boring.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #9107192 -

Yeah that is probably it. I think I've just met too many people that have no modesty. So I compensate lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #9107957 -

Anonymous #7 said:
Op, I have a similar problem, but with guys and girls. It's not that I'm anti-social or have trouble talking to people....but I tend to understate myself.
My girlfriend has been pulling me up on it lately...when meeting people, it's custom to state your interests and your strengths....I tend to not do this. Because I'm very philosophical I ALWAYS listen to what people have to say intently, regardless of the fact I read allot and can be very knowledgeable at times....but I'm the type person to just agree, even though I think I'm right, I mean who's to say my resources are any more reputable than the other persons.

An rough example of this is....I'll be at a party talking to someone, they'll say 'I'm a drummer, I've been playing for 5 years' ...I'll say 'Oh cool' .....I won't mention I have been singing, playing drums/bass/guitar/piano for 15 years, because I think that would make me sound full of myself.

Is this a self confidence issue or something else?



Damn, I'm just like that. I don't like to talk about myself or my interests right away because it just seems so predictable: you meet, you both anticipate saying and listening to things, blah blah, blah. Ever since I started smoking weed, I always though hard (philosophically) about companionship and social interaction; do the pros outwiegh the cons, what's the point of talking if every word has been said, what should be talked about when, etc.

I love being with people, but sometimes social interaction is to awkwardly fake (on others' part, not mine) that I don't even bother.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #7]
    #9107971 -

It's hard for me to not be modest about a talent or ability I have unless I'm around a poser then I just like to show him how much lower he is from me because it reminds me that I'm special. That behavior, of course, is immature and anticipate to naturally grow out of it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #9108066 -

I wouldnt say I have trouble making friends with other guys, but Id say I have difficulty relating to most of them. I dont watch football, go hunting, eat meat, fight, play sports, etc, so I feel there is little common ground besides having a beer.

Anonymous #5 said:
OP, you have low self esteem and so you're afraid of the competitive dynamics of male to male interaction.



I dont think that everyone who identifies as "noncompetitive" is that way because of low selfesteem. I think some people see competitions as a bad thing, they only provoke fights. Many pacifists, promoters of peace and spiritual leaders would say that we should NOT be in competition with eachother, but many coaches, businessmen and dads would say it's healthy. It all depends on what you are looking for out of life.

I dont like to hang out with the overly competitive, brainwashed, muscle head type guys; the thugs, rednecks, gangstas and jocks who arent in touch with their spirituality and feelings. I used to hang out with those type guys and I realized I HATED them. Now I hang out with other hippies, and I dont mean people who dress the part and really are those alpha types, but true peace lovers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #9108146 -

Anonymous #9 said:
Now I hang out with other hippies, and I dont mean people who dress the part and really are those alpha types, but true peace lovers.



Can't you be both? I consider myself a little of both. Most people say I am a calm, nice, peaceful, mature person when they first meet me, and I am usually that way, but when testosterone gets thick in the air, I instinctively get into "manly" mode and I will fucking fight, swear, yell, whatever at some asshole who is ruining the peace. That's usually the only reason I would get aggressive or violent, if peace is at steak (yes, STEAK).

:glittershitz:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #8]
    #9108331 -

I know what you mean.  I am straight but a lot of my closest friends have been female.  Probably my top 2 best friends ever have been female.

You gotta be careful though cause I got sexually invovled with one of my best friends and that tucked up our friendship.  Sex can ruin it!

I guess I just relate to girls better cause I am defintely not macho.  I hate watching sports and all the stupid male rituals.

I guess I am really in touch with my feminine side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I have trouble making friends with guys... [Re: Anonymous #10]
    #9108548 -

actually you sond quite faggish to me.

keep it real homo  :coleman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What kind of jobs are there for people who hate people?
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 2,283 41 02/28/10 07:20 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
634 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.