Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space
    #8985094 -

This shit is fucking wild. It just gives me this warm, cozy feeling inside.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080923-dark-flows.html


--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Frost]
    #8985121 -

Wrap your mind around this one:

"What does this mean? First off, let’s take a sec and talk about the visible Universe. If you go outside and look around, you don’t see the whole Earth. You only see a small fraction of its surface, because the Earth is a curved ball. The solid planet itself blocks your view. The farthest you can see is out to the horizon, where the curving Earth dips everything else below your view (well, except for tall objects like buildings and ships at sea, but we can ignore them for this analogy).

The Universe is the same way. The fabric of space is expanding, with the cosmos getting bigger every day. This has an odd effect: objects farther away appear to be moving more rapidly away from us. Eventually, an object can be so far away that the space between us is effectively expanding faster than the speed of light! This does’t violate any physical laws, because nothing material is actually moving at transluminal speeds; it’s just that there is more space itself between us and that object all the time.

This effect naturally provides us with a cosmic horizon. Any object "moving away" from us faster than light can’t be seen by us; the photons it emits can’t keep up with the expansion of space. They lose energy and fall away from view (like a slow walker on a fast treadmill… or better yet, an ant walking along a rubber band that is being stretched). So, to us, an object far enough away is invisible, beyond the Universal horizon.

Weird, huh? Yeah, as usual, things get even weirder.

Now imagine a third object, say a cluster of galaxies, that lies between us and the one that is beyond our horizon. To the cluster, the object may still be visible, because it’s closer, and therefore not receding as rapidly. It’s like an island just over the horizon to you as you look seaward from the beach; to you the island is invisible, but to someone a few kilometers out to sea in a yacht the island is still visible.

That cluster can still be affected by the more distant object, pulled by its gravity, for example. To us, farther away, we don’t see that distant object, but to the cluster it’s sitting right there and still, literally, a force with which to be reckoned.

If you want to go away for a moment and take some Tylenol, I understand. I feel a bit headachy myself just writing this.

The thing is, astronomers now think they’ve detected this force! Clusters of galaxies are filled with extremely hot gas, or plasma, heated by things like the galaxies’ motion in the cluster. As light from objects farther away passes through this gas, it gets affected by it, and we can measure that change. This is called the Sunyaev-Zel’dovich effect, and it’s too weak to measure well in individual clusters, but by looking at literally hundreds of clusters, the effect adds up and can be seen. [Edited to add: the photons that are being affected are not from the matter beyond the horizon, but from the cosmic microwave background, the relic radiation from a very early time in the Universe, but still in our visible Universe. Sorry I wasn’t clear about that in the original post.]

The total force is fairly big, in fact. Clusters seen in the direction of the constellations Centaurus and Vela appear to have an additional 3 million kilometers per hour added to their usual velocity! That means that some very large clump of matter — probably a cluster of galaxy clusters, called a supercluster — lies in that direction, over the horizon to us but very much visible to clusters we can see.

Imagine! It’s a sobering reminder that the Universe itself is literally bigger than we can see, with the majority of it forever beyond our ken.

And if your quota of weird isn’t yet sated, then ponder this: the expansion is accelerating. That means that objects we can see today, so distant they linger on our current horizon, will eventually fall away from view as the accelerating expansion beats out the velocity of the light they emit. They will literally move beyond the horizon and become invisible. In a sense, it’s as if the visible Universe is shrinking, the horizon getting closer to us every day. The physical Universe is getting bigger, but almost paradoxically what we see of it gets smaller. Someday, billions of years from now, only the closest of objects will remain visible." - Phil Plait


--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

Edited by Frost (09/25/08 03:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Frost]
    #8985130 -

god fucking dammit astronomy is too fucking dope
i think ima get my masters in it


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Frost]
    #8985145 -

You are pleasing to my mind sir.
Thanks for finding this.
I'm surprised I missed it, as in the last few years I've become obsessed with space. I never use to care.
Now I'm often left in awe. :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8985167 -

astronomy classes at my school are legit, we have an observatory on the near by foot hills, you can see every fuckign star. plus on big events like showers, we got EC to just chill all night, and many of us blazed loads.


--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8985175 -

Psilocybeingzz said:
You are pleasing to my mind sir.
Thanks for finding this.
I'm surprised I missed it, as in the last few years I've become obsessed with space. I never use to care.
Now I'm often left in awe. :thumbup:



I couldnt agree more

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Q-WTF]
    #8985312 -

Now thats some shit :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: fall]
    #8985370 -

I llloooovvvvveeeeee reading about crazy astronomy stuff.  THanks for the thread Frost

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Frost]
    #8985540 -

Goddamn it I wish I was good at math!  This sort of thing is my passion, but I just can't hack it with the math skills I have. :sad:

Thanks for the post.


--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

Everything is everything, and everything is becoming itself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: SvampViking]
    #8985550 -

My pleasure, guys. Thank you for reading it.


--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: memes]
    #8985598 -

meams said:
I llloooovvvvveeeeee reading about crazy astronomy stuff.  THanks for the thread Frost




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Frost]
    #8986027 -

awesome post dude! thats so trippy


--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Frost]
    #8986233 -

I approve of this thread. :thumbup:
Me loves astronomy.
The more we learn, the more we realize we don't know, and the more interesting it gets.


--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #8986385 -

Is is hard to imagine the un-imaginable. but with the right imagination, you can imagine anything - unknown


--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: danlennon3]
    #8986450 -

danlennon3 said:
Is is hard to imagine the un-imaginable. but with the right imagination, you can imagine anything - unknown



once a thing is imagined it is possible... then it simply is...
imagination is the true iq

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: Coaster]
    #8986997 -

Coaster said:
god fucking dammit astronomy is too fucking dope
i think ima get my masters in it



It is.  Do it.  Do it if you really want to. 

Way back in highschool I wanted to be an astrophysicist and I got told that they 'bag groceries'.  I gave it up and did other things.

Now I wish I was working on some space telescope array out in South America.


--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: toastandjam]
    #10656364 -



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: SvampViking]
    #10656452 -

Quote:
Goddamn it I wish I was good at math!  This sort of thing is my passion, but I just can't hack it with the math skills I have. :sad:

Thanks for the post.



Einstein wasn't great at math.  It was his ability to visualise that set him apart.  If you really want it, work on your math. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #10656470 -

ToTheSummit said:
The more we learn, the more we realize we don't know, and the more interesting it gets.



Isn't that the truth!!!!

I always say that mankind doesn't really know anything.
For every question we ask opens a whole box of other questions.
The amount of questions we have vs the ones that have been answered is way out of balance.

We really don't know anything...it's all just an educated guess.


--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mysterious new 'Dark Flow' discovered in space [Re: niteowl]
    #10656793 -

One day, Paradoxically, The entire universe will be visible (once we make the flip)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Let my inspiration flow Ripple 812 6 02/16/04 06:39 PM
by Ripple
* This Darkness Has Got to Give kosmic_charlie 1,133 18 11/05/04 02:27 PM
by Phishgrrl
* Dark Star: The Spaced Out Spaceship BubblerBoy 677 6 05/24/04 09:18 PM
by kosmic_charlie
* I discovered one hassle with digital cameras ToTheSummit 1,199 8 08/08/04 02:35 PM
by TheDude
* Dwarf Human like remains discovered in Indonesia
( 1 2 all )
Le_Soleil 3,404 39 09/02/17 08:06 PM
by Canadian Jesus
* Bill Hicks - "Dark Poet" (mp3s)
( 1 2 all )
LearyfanS 3,009 20 06/25/04 04:16 PM
by blackroselove
* How did you discover the Shroomery?
( 1 2 3 all )
Gr8fulJ420 7,212 48 09/03/04 06:02 PM
by newuser1492
* favorite dark stars underground 1,488 13 01/16/04 11:37 PM
by Pala

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,963 topic views. 6 members, 13 guests and 96 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.