Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana
    #882681 - 09/13/02 05:29 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana
Fri Sep 13, 5:52 PM ET
By BRENDAN RILEY, Associated Press Writer

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) - In Nevada, they love gambling and tolerate prostitution. Now they are talking about legalizing pot.

A measure on the ballot Nov. 5 would make Nevada the first state to allow adults to possess marijuana ? up to 3 ounces, enough for maybe 100 joints.

People over 21 would be allowed to smoke it in their homes but not in cars or public places. Pot would be sold in state-licensed smoke shops and taxed like cigarettes.

"This initiative will allow the police to spend more time going after murderers, rapists and other violent criminals," said Billy Rogers, leader of the group that is pushing the measure.

Whether it could actually take effect is unclear. Federal law bans marijuana possession, and the White House has come out strongly against the idea. Also, Nevada voters would have to approve the proposal again in 2004 before it became law.

Nevada, home of the nation's gambling capital, has long had a fondness for what others forbid. Although prostitution is banned in Las Vegas, Reno, Carson City ? and in 49 states ? it is legal in 10 of Nevada's 17 counties. The 30 licensed brothels in the state are monitored by the state Health Division. In addition, Las Vegas has a multitude of outcall entertainment services that are thought to be fronts for call-girl businesses.

But the vote on marijuana represents a remarkable about-face in Nevada's attitudes toward pot.

A year ago, Nevada had one of the nation's strictest marijuana laws. Possession of a single joint was a felony punishable by a year or more in prison.

In 2000, Nevada voters approved the use of medical marijuana, and the Legislature voted in 2001 to make possession of less than an ounce of pot a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Opinion polls on the marijuana measure show Nevadans almost evenly split, with opponents gaining ground.

"What message are we sending our youth if this initiative passes? That it's OK to take drugs?" said school counselor Teresa Jempsa. "If marijuana becomes legal, then what drug is next?"

The plan was put on the November ballot after the group led by Rogers, Nevadans for Responsible Law Enforcement, gathered the necessary 75,000 signatures.

Other states are debating looser marijuana laws, but none are considering legalization for recreational purposes.

Arizona voters will soon decide on making possession of up to 2 ounces a non-criminal violation punishable by a maximum fine of $250. San Francisco is exploring the idea of growing pot on public lots and distributing it to ill people.

Ohio has the most lenient law in the nation, with possession of less than 100 grams ? nearly 4 ounces ? bringing a citation and $100 fine.

In Nevada, law enforcement officials oppose the legalization measure. Undersheriff Richard Winget in Las Vegas said 3 ounces would produce enough marijuana joints to supply a small-time drug dealer.

And Washoe County District Attorney Richard Gammick said the argument that Nevada would earn millions in tax dollars is "a ruse on the voting public."

Federal Drug Enforcement Administration chief Asa Hutchinson and federal drug czar John P. Walters visited the state to underscore the Bush administration's opposition.

"I don't think Las Vegas and Nevada want to become the center for drug tourism," Walters said.

Jeff Oakes, a North Las Vegas resident, said he supports legalization.

"As of right now," he said, "the most dangerous effect of marijuana possession and use is jail."

___

On the Net:

Nevadans for Responsible Law Enforcement: http://www.nrle.org

National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws: http://www.norml.org

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #882686 - 09/13/02 05:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #882707 - 09/13/02 05:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Ah.. Good oh Sativa (nice pic)

I dont think that Nevada is going to pass it. The goverments are already parading every cop and goverment official in the world in America to denounce it. I even heard a DEA guy (on tv) actually say that "were not going after users... our prisons are not full of [pot] users... BUT think of the message [leaglizing] it sends to our kids.." (I often wonder what people with no kids think about these kind of staments)

Another guy (a cop) showed how many joints that 3 oz's of bud can really make (I can asure you this does nothing but hurt the movment) etc...

Right now it's split, but I predict that the anti-pot folks will win it by about 10% in the end vote. (let's face it, many potheads dont vote)

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana [Re: Jammer]
    #882728 - 09/13/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I disagree that this hurts the movement. If this fails at the ballot, then there is no hurt and nevada smokers are in the same situation they're in now. But, if it passes, then it will be a major victory.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

#882834 - 09/13/02 06:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

What hurts the movment is showing the non-smokers out there how much weed three oz's (what Nevada is trying to legalize for personal use) really is.... Most non smokers will look at all of the joints made from such a bag and almost shit.

However other states to have 4 oz and less laws defined as misdomenors. Nevada has one of the strictest laws in the world right now.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Re: Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana [Re: Jammer]
    #882845 - 09/13/02 06:41 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It's not near the strictest in the world. In some countries they'll cut off your hand if you get busted with a single joint.

And 3 oz isn't near that much pot. It's a decent stash but it's not like that dildo sheriff said it wouldn't supply a dealer unless it was a high school kid selling nickles and dimes.

--------------------

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
    #884749 - 09/16/02 02:25 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thats funny, when i used to deal all my weed was grown in Nevada.

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana [Re: rommstein2001]
    #884836 - 09/16/02 03:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Did anyone read the actual bill? Written in it is basic legalization of under three ounces for people over 21
BUT
Also written into it is harsher penalties for those under 21 caught with any amount and possible felony conviction for those over 18 to include 2 years prision and $5,000 fine.

Since those 18 and up are allowed to vote youve got a HUGE conflict of interests. Do you vote to make harder penalties for yourself for the next few years or vote against it believing that this will come again when you of age?

Personaly I would vote against if if I were 18. I wouldnt like the idea of making punnishment for simple posession a BIG TIME felony for myself.

I only live a few hours from Vegas. I wonder if you will need a Nevada license to purchase weed in a shop or if people can drive from all over and buy?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Edited by GabbaDj (09/16/02 03:53 AM)

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

#884855 - 09/16/02 03:58 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

>>>>> Ohio has the most lenient law in the nation, with possession of less than 100 grams ? nearly 4 ounces ? bringing a citation and $100 fine.

In Nevada, law enforcement officials oppose the legalization measure. Undersheriff Richard Winget in Las Vegas said 3 ounces would produce enough marijuana joints to supply a small-time drug dealer. <<<<<

In California under 1oz is just a $100 fine.. Its great, you dont even have to sweat getting caught, just show your ID, sign the ticket and mail in the money. NO JAIL TIME.....

Just days after some guy spoke out of turn saying that the Nevada Police Association supports this initiative. The majority got together and bitch slapef the guy for speaking out of turn... Apparently their was no vote before his comment and he was taken out of context by a reporter...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineJammer

Re: Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana [Re: GabbaDj]
    #892919 - 09/19/02 08:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone got any updates on this subject? Are the Nevada polls still split about 50/50?

And, when is the vote any-hue?

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #893044 - 09/19/02 08:56 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In California under 1oz is just a $100 fine.. Its great, you dont even have to sweat getting caught, just show your ID, sign the ticket and mail in the money. NO JAIL TIME.....

NO! This is not great. I am sorry to hear of your complacent attitude. $300+ for an ounce of herb that might only go for $5 in an open society? A $100 fine for doing what humans have been doing for thousands of years? Property forfeiture? Death by DEA goon squad? (happened to a straight rich guy in Malibu a few years ago). Hard time if you happen to have more than an ounce.

No, it is not great at all. Don't be fooled and lazy. Help the cause. This has been going on far too long.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Re: Nevada Voters May Legalize Marijuana [Re: Swami]
    #893122 - 09/19/02 09:19 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yes it IS great...

If youve ever lived in a zero tolerance state and watch as your friends get picked off one by one and sentanced to months in jail for less than a gram youll realize how lucky we are here in California.

I watch Cops on TV and they always make such a BIG deal out of finding TINY bags of weed on people and arrest them.

Their can be NO arrest, NO felony for simple posession of marijuana under 1oz and that is a VERRY comfortable feeling.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

#893149 - 09/19/02 09:27 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>>>>> $300+ for an ounce of herb that might only go for $5 in an open society? <<<<<

I dont believe for a second that legalizing weed will bring down prices... Instead I think that they will rise given the added advertising, packaging, shipping, tax and regulation charges.

Big business will make weed more expensive.

It will make a produce of even quality from one time to the next which may or may not be the greatest quality, and run the small time dealers out of business just like Wall-Mart..

>>>>> Hard time if you happen to have more than an ounce. <<<<<

One ounce at a time is all I ever needed...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #893920 - 09/19/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I dont believe for a second that legalizing weed will bring down prices... Big business will make weed more expensive.
We buy tobacco and alcohol from store becasue it is cheaper to do so rather than make/grow our own. If MJ was legalized and people were unhappy with the price, they would simply grow it on their patio or closet (as many do now.)

One ounce at a time is all I ever needed...
But your supplier is growing much more than one ounce at a time and is at great risk. The attitude that "Everything is OK for me." is one reason why this nonsense continues.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

#894118 - 09/19/02 04:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

I dont believe for a second that legalizing weed will bring down prices... Instead I think that they will rise given the added advertising, packaging, shipping, tax and regulation charges.

I think you're dead wrong about that. If weed was legal I could grow 20 girls in my backyard and easily take a QP of each girl. Only cost would be for seeds, fertilizer, and my time to keep them watered and animals from eating it.

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

#894148 - 09/19/02 05:12 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In the Nevada bill, cultivation is still illegal.

Nobody ever said that cultivation laws would change, just the posession laws.
If the people of Nevada do vote for legalizing posession then the state will DEFINETLY put a tax on its sale and they will definetly regulate its distribution.

Besides, why is anyone going to lower prices when people have been and still will be willing to pay the current price?

Ill bet that this turns out just like Arizona when they had that loop in the law exposed. You could buy and posess weed as long as you posesed a current tax stamp. Stamps were sold in gram incriments and you havd to have proof of having paid the tax on the weed you carried...
Chris conrad capitalized on this idea and sold weed at the Superbowl in one gram sacks with a one gram stamp attatched. When cops arrested him they could only charge him with paraphenalia and actualy provided protection for him for the rest of the game while he sold the rest of his weed....

Everyones arguments are sound in theory but this is the United States. People are going to take this and Run all the way to the bank at the expence of the consumer and nothing is going to change.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Edited by GabbaDj (09/19/02 05:16 PM)

OfflineJammer

#897947 - 09/21/02 05:32 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I that case it's almost a usless law if it is passed. Most people severing time for pot is due to cultivations... then come ones locked up for dealing. (thats my understanding anyway)

I whole heartly believe that any atempt at legalizing should preserve the right for people to grow there own. WE DONT NEED BIG BUSINESS/GOVERMENT CONTROLLING IT/TAXING IT TO DEATH. - That would be a huge mistake.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
    #898202 - 09/21/02 07:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

I dont believe for a second that legalizing weed will bring down prices... Big business will make weed more expensive.
------------------
We buy tobacco and alcohol from store becasue it is cheaper to do so rather than make/grow our own. If MJ was legalized and people were unhappy with the price, they would simply grow it on their patio or closet (as many do now.)

also... competition?
I don't know though, I think it would be more likely (if all drugs ever become legal) to find things like acid and mescaline and ecstacy in stores, because it's just too easy to grow your own ganja... would you rather buy it from a store or take a bit of your time to get a "pot patch" started in your garden for your own personal year-round supply which pays for itself on your first harvest?
it's a huge chore to try to make acid at home... that would be something more viable for stores because a chemist (amateur or professional) could simply whip up a big batch and sell it to a store, and then people go and get their acid/whatever whenever they like, instead of having to deal with the hassle of dealers...

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #898404 - 09/21/02 08:53 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

"Besides, why is anyone going to lower prices when people have been and still will be willing to pay the current price?"

Bah, this is basic economics stuff. But you may be right to a certain extent. At first the prices may remain near current levels, but due to competition they would drop. Also, any item that has a price ceiling attatched to it, and then has that ceiling lifted will fall to an equilibrium price.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale