Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD, Medical Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down
    #1706021 - 07/11/03 03:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What a joke, my favourite bit is where they say that prescribing pot is as bad as prescribing heroin. It's nice to know that the government wants to 'protect the public' (especially the terminally ill members of the public) from such a dangerous medicinal drug. From Associated Press, via Kentucky.com:
--------------------------------------------

Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down
GINA HOLLAND
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration wants the Supreme Court's permission to strip prescription licenses from doctors who recommend marijuana to sick patients.

The administration, which has taken a hard stand against state medical marijuana laws, asked the high court to strike down an appeals court ruling that blocked the punishment, or investigation, of physicians who tell patients they may be helped by the drug.

The administration's appeal, filed this week, gives the Supreme Court a chance to revisit the subject of legalized marijuana. Two years ago, the court ruled that there is no exception in federal drug laws for people to use pot to ease pain from cancer, AIDS or other illnesses. That case also involved a ruling of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Solicitor General Theodore Olson said the latest 9th Circuit decision keeps the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration from protecting the public. He said the ruling licenses doctors to treat patients with illegal drugs and that physicians who urge patients to use pot are no different than those recommending heroin or LSD.

Medical marijuana laws are on the books in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.

At issue is a policy, put in place during the Clinton administration, that requires the revocation of federal prescription licenses of doctors who recommend marijuana.

The appeals court said that the policy interferes with free-speech rights of doctors and patients. Physicians should be able to speak candidly with patients without fear of government sanctions, the court said, but they can be punished if they actually help patients obtain the drug.

Graham Boyd, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney representing patients, doctors, and other groups, said a government victory at the high court would gut the medical marijuana laws and hurt doctor-patient relationships.

"This case is about doctors providing honest and accurate medical advice to patients and the government wanting to censor that advice and leave patients to the Internet, their friends and back alley information in order to make medical decisions," Boyd said Friday.

Justices will likely decide this fall whether to review the case.

The case is Walters v. Conant, 03-40.

ON THE NET

Supreme Court case file: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/03-40.htm

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: Edame]
    #1706033 - 07/11/03 03:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's the last straw (actually the last straw happened a long time ago).  Bush needs to GO!  :mad2: 

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1706039 - 07/11/03 03:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Pretty sad.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1706054 - 07/11/03 03:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Me or the article (or both)? :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1706073 - 07/11/03 03:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What a great guy.

He really cares for the 'Merican people.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Johnny Price- Marijuana, The Devil Flower

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1706078 - 07/11/03 03:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Edame said:
Me or the article (or both)? :smile: 

Neither.

The fact that he wants this.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
    #1706079 - 07/11/03 03:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Unfortunately, most politicians see it just the same.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1706094 - 07/11/03 03:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What I don't get is that they are basically undermining members of the medical profession. Doctors all swear an oath to help people, and the govt seems to be saying "You'll help people the way we want you to, or not at all". I guess this is nothing new to most of us anyway, it's just so frustrating to hear stuff like this.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1706174 - 07/11/03 04:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Agreed. Besides the FDA assuring that drugs are pure and safe,the government needs to stay the fuck out of medicine.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1706254 - 07/11/03 04:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck Bush, he's just doing it to look like a bad ass and get relected for it. I doubt the supreme court would allow this for many many reasons. Maybe they'll even say another famous quote that everyone will be posting about next week like 'the government cannot tell people what chemicals they can or cannot use' heh
Quote:

rommstein2001 said:
Unfortunately, most politicians see it just the same. 

Of course, who can aford to be the odd ball pot head politician?

Quote:

grandmasterfat said:
the government needs to stay the fuck out of medicine. 

There alot of things they need to stay out of :mad:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: DailyPot]
    #1706288 - 07/11/03 04:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Great, I guess Dr. Bush, PhD thinks he's qualified to practice medicine now.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1706416 - 07/11/03 05:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I bet he has a wonderful bedside manner. :smile:  "Don't forget who's boss here! I'll tell you when you've had enough pain, and you can die in agony before I let you smoke pot"

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1706561 - 07/11/03 06:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Read my sig.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: pattern]
    #1706638 - 07/11/03 07:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That could be shortened to just "Don't vote."

--------------------

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
    #1706806 - 07/11/03 08:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The sad thing is these people believe in what they are doing, so there is no convincing them. The governments own research teams have recomended it for legalization after finding it casuses no memory loss at all, even with daily smokers for 10 years or more.(That is, no memory loss that extends past the high.)

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: Cornholio]
    #1707011 - 07/11/03 09:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Bush needs to GO!

I am not a Bush fan either but maybe you guys didn't see this part.

Quote:

At issue is a policy, put in place during the Clinton administration, that requires the revocation of federal prescription licenses of doctors who recommend marijuana.

Bush may be against Ganja but the Democrats are just as fierce if not more so!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: phreakyzen]
    #1707080 - 07/11/03 10:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's never a good thing when Republicans and Democrats agree on something.

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: phreakyzen]
    #1707745 - 07/12/03 03:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phreakyzen said:
Bush may be against Ganja but the Democrats are just as fierce if not more so!

I do agree that both parties are against drugs (which would explain why the law came about under Clinton), but to say the Dems are as fierce or "more so" against drugs is news to me.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bush Wants Marijuana Ruling Struck Down [Re: Cornholio]
    #1707763 - 07/12/03 03:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good morning sunshine.

--------------------

OfflineStatic
Can you hear menow?

#1708034 - 07/12/03 09:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Could this be the prelude to the end of the war on drugs? With enough people making a stink about taking medicine out of the mouths of the ill it should be. Add that to Bush's record of telling the truth...

--------------------
Astronauts get all the tang they want.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD, Medical Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Political Discussion